Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008

Best way to carry more water

I set a PR today of 40 miles and loved it. But I was running short on water and with temps only climbing as time goes on I will need more. The route I will be taking is pretty isolated and has no stores to stop. How to you carry more water. I was thinking of a seat bottle carrier that I could put on for longer rides. Thanks for the help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used two 24oz. bottles on my 30 miler last Sat. On the frame.

Anything over 40 and I add my 48oz. Camelbak.
    Giant Defy 3
    Felt Z85

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    2 - 24 oz bottles in the cages and one 24 oz. bottle in the middle pocket of the jersey. Swap out the bottle in the jersey pocket when you finish the first one and you're good to go for three or four hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    This is probably not what normal road cyclists do, but I started mountain biking and moved to the roads, on longer rides I bring my camelbak with me for additional water. That way I also can store extra food and usually a camera if I am going somewhere nice I'll want to snap a few photos of. Once I hit around 40 miles is when I need to bring the camelbak since I go through about a bottle an hour give or take.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have two in the normal places and one under the down tube. For longer rides I add the two bottle launchers behind the seat. That gives me a total of 116 ounces so for longer rides I fill up at the 75 mile point or thereabouts.
    My cycle tour blog; raymoorerides.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    When I rode Montreal to nyc solo i knew up north it could be 30 40 miles between towns. I had two water bottle cages on the frame and also a double bottle Tri style holder that attached to the back of the seat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    hydrate before you ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Depends on how far I'm riding, for a short 50 mile ride I can get by with hydrating before I leave then put on my two 24 ounce Polar bottles and go; I may run out of liquid 20 minutes or so before getting home, but once home I can drink.

If I ride further and taking a road bike then I'll take my small 70oz CamelBak Rogue which is no longer made but they still make a 70oz model, this is in addition to the bottles. Or I take the touring bike that has provisions for 3 water bottles on the frame, then maybe add the Camelback depending on where I'm going and the availability of getting more fluid along the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Unless you're riding in Arizona, 40mi probably doesn't require more than 2x24oz bottles. As mentioned above, be sure you're hydrated before you start out. If you still need more, I'd throw another bottle in a jersey pocket and tap that one first.
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

Not a climber
    When I first started road biking, I used a camelbak. My first 50 mile ride, I went through almost an entire 3 liters of water and bonked at the end because I ran out of both food and water.

Basically, I just learned to ration the water, taking small sips periodically instead of big gulps all the time. Now I can easily ride that distance on less than two bottles unless it is searing hot outside.

Maybe go for rides early in the morning or late in the evening when it's not so hot?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    1 x bottle cage for about 50-60km
    2x bottle cage for 70-100km +

1x bottle in jersey middle pocket(drink this first) for extra long rides

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Defy3Guy View Post
    I used two 24oz. bottles on my 30 miler last Sat. On the frame.

Anything over 40 and I add my 48oz. Camelbak.
    Same here. Oh, and also pre-hydrate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sadisticnoob View Post

1x bottle in jersey middle pocket(drink this first) for extra long rides
    Though, for particularly warm rides I'll often freeze a bottle for the jersey pocket. I'll let it cool me while it thaws and then tap it last. Typically I'll freeze something in a Poland Spring or similar bottle so that I can dispose of it (properly) once it's done.
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

I ride in circles..
    Same as mentioned already.. 2x24oz on the frame and another in the middle jersey pocket.. However I usually try to drink the one from my jersey early because it tends to get really warm being back there.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

RoadBikeReview Member
    2x24oz will get me through 60-70 miles.

If it is super hot and I can't stop, then I'll take a third and stuff it in the middle pocket of my jersey. I lean over enough such that it doesn't tug the jersey much.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alf1096 View Post
    I set a PR today of 40 miles and loved it. But I was running short on water
    How much water did you carry / drink? Most bikes should easily fit 2 water bottle cages which should provide adequate water for 40mi. Did you only have 1 small bottle?

#1 Best way? Fill up your body with water before you ride.
    My son learned this lesson the hard way. When he started H.S. football as a freshman he had his first summer conditioning. I explained hydration to him. But he was young and dumb and din't listen... and suffered for it. The following years, he would get up in the morning, carry a water bottle everywhere with him, and slowly sip down a few bottles throughout the day. He never bonked, even in the August heat, and actually enjoyed conditioning. As well as watching the other kids puking their guts out and doubled over with cramps.

#2 Best way to carry more water? SAG support vehicle.

F45
    banned
    Nov 2010
    On one 80 mile ride that had no potable water sources along the way, I carried an MSR filter and refilled at cattle tanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP Diver View Post
    Unless you're riding in Arizona, 40mi probably doesn't require more than 2x24oz bottles. As mentioned above, be sure you're hydrated before you start out. If you still need more, I'd throw another bottle in a jersey pocket and tap that one first.
    No Texas, we had 100 consecutive days over 100 last year. 2 bottles was fine for the 40 just planning longer.

wots...uh the deal?
    under 40 miles, one 21 oz bottle is fine for me. 40-60 miles second bottle. I've stretched 2 21oz bottles over 80 miles a couple of times when we just didn't take routes that went near towns for gas station refill stuff. During the hot months, on group rides where we don't stop for water, I've done the 'third bottle in the jersey pocket' thing and that's ok.

There's a gravel ride coming up next month. 100 miles in the middle of no where. The serious guys have been looking at alternative ways of carrying water so that they don't have to stop at all. Current 'what seems to work best' is to get one of those storage bags that hangs down from the top tube, put some camel back bladders in it. When it's time to drink, unzip, pull the tube and take a sip. (That's a bit extreme to me, but if you're going 100 miles on gravel, it is certainly one solution.)
    martymoose

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't understand the aversion to wearing a Camelback. For over 50% of the country a couple of water bottles may be sufficient but for the southwest, 2, 3, or 4 bottles may not do the job. As stated, last year we had over 100 days of over 100 degree temperatures in North Texas. Even starting a ride at 7 am, the temperature was over 100 degrees before we finished. Regular water bottles don't do the trick. Frozen water bottles don't last long enough. Frozen insulated water bottles don't thaw fast enough at first. I found filling 2 insulated 24 oz water bottles with ice and water was good for the first 30 miles. After 30 miles, a 70 oz camelback filled with ice and water would be good for 50-60 miles. Refill the bottles? Start your ride in Ft. Davis, TX at 5,000 feet for a ride around the 75 mile loop in the Texas Alps with passes over 6,200 feet in the summer with the temperatures in the mid 80s. The air in the high desert is dry. There are no gas stations, no place to refill your bottles. Even 2 bottles and a camelback are not enough. Call me a Fred but I prefer names to dehydration.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not knowing your route can't you just stop somewhere to refill? Park, convenience store, etc? I only carry two regardless of distance and take some money and have no problem stopping for 5 min to refill with whatever I like

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    This is a great kit to have the water behind your seat. I changed the holders to Arundel carbon cages. It works great

XLAB Mini Wing | Rear Carrier | rear hydration | Starter System | rear bottle carrier

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psycleridr View Post
    Not knowing your route can't you just stop somewhere to refill? Park, convenience store, etc?
    In a rural area, it's easy to not come across somewhere to stop. I'm not in a real rual area, but I can easily ride quite a distance and not pass somewhere. I did 20mi the other day and didn't pass a single store. I could've coupled that with another route and done another 20mi (even more remote) and not passed somewhere to stop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP Diver View Post
    Though, for particularly warm rides I'll often freeze a bottle for the jersey pocket. I'll let it cool me while it thaws and then tap it last. Typically I'll freeze something in a Poland Spring or similar bottle so that I can dispose of it (properly) once it's done.
    riding with an ice pack behind

normally i will freeze the 2 on my cages(if possible) and chill the one on my back.

i hate riding feeling coldness on my back

RoadBikeReview Member
    You are going to get a ride range of opinions on water depending on each rider. Distance, weight, weather, terrain, fitness, and hydrating practices.

I original question was about ways to carry water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast