RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

Best way to re-glue carbon sole.

Hello to all my RBR friends. I need some advice as to the best way to repair a carbon sole that has come unglue from the heel. What should I do? Should I use Loctite glue? What is the best adhesive/glue for the job? Will it last? Should I get a new pair? Thanks in advance for your time. ru1-2cyle

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by ru1-2cycle
    Hello to all my RBR friends. I need some advice as to the best way to repair a carbon sole that has come unglue from the heel. What should I do? Should I use Loctite glue? What is the best adhesive/glue for the job? Will it last? Should I get a new pair? Thanks in advance for your time. ru1-2cyle
    You don't mention the brand, but Spec has some S-Works shoes that had the type of problem you describe. I believe it was handled as a warranty issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ru1-2cycle
    You'll find that any of the methacrylates will work really well. Plexus MA 425 is great but you can likely find something similar in smaller quantities (do a google on McMaster Car and you'll find something). This stuff also works great to build up worn heel and toe pieces on the outside of carbon soles. It wears better than the originals and is just flexable enough. Stinks up your entire house (even if you use it in the garage). This is the same stuff that dentists use to bond crowns and you'll recognize the dental office smell.

Banned forever.....or not
    If it's out of warranty, use a two part liquid epoxy, along with a "C" clamp.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    If it's out of warranty, use a two part liquid epoxy, along with a "C" clamp.
    Not to be contrary but epoxy is a poor product to use while glueing leather to carbon. The carbon with do fine and the leather will become brittle and break just beyond the attachment point. There is a new flexible epoxy product from Gougeon that may work but I don't know of anyone who's tried it on leather.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had that problem with my old Northwaves. Do it right and bring the shoe to a shoesmith. They understand the issue and have the right glue....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

Glue?

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo
    You'll find that any of the methacrylates will work really well. Plexus MA 425 is great but you can likely find something similar in smaller quantities (do a google on McMaster Car and you'll find something). This stuff also works great to build up worn heel and toe pieces on the outside of carbon soles. It wears better than the originals and is just flexable enough. Stinks up your entire house (even if you use it in the garage). This is the same stuff that dentists use to bond crowns and you'll recognize the dental office smell.
    Thanks for your response, but I have another question: Could I get this adhesive at Lowes or Home Depot?

Rocket Scientist
    Take it to a shoe repair place. Best $10 you'll ever spend.

Son of Lee Marvin
    Contact the manufacturer, you may get some warranty deal.

kytyree
    Never done it with a carbon sole but I got another 6 months out of some mountain bike shoes using shoe goo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

Thank you, RBR friends.

I appreciate your time and recommendations.

The Plexus MA 425 was listed as Loctite 425
    @ the McMaster Carr website.
    I used Welder glue plus a fast setting Loctite- 1minute,
    and pressed it for about 30 minutes in my carpenter's
    press as a C-clamp, and it looks like it is holding.

I will let it set for a couple of days.
    I still have my reservations as to the durability
    of this "fix", specially when smashing the
    big gears, he-he.

I already have my eye set on some Sidi's carbons...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23
    Sherpa23, are you still racing pro?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

Zapatero...

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23
    Yep, I wasted $8 on glue already, ah, but I will take it to the shoe repairman tomorrow.
    I also ordered a sweet pair of silver Shimano R131S carbon road shoes @ Performance just now, and I got a great deal...with the 20% off coupon, I just ended paying what I would for the shoes sale price of $139! ( And with 2 days Fed EX shipping too.) ru1-2cycle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Heck, I just used some KB Weld (that two part epoxy you see at small hardware stores that has just about anything you can think of glued, or should I say bounded to a soda bottle) on my DMTs, no problems 2 months later

now to go knock some wood

It only hurts if you think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

KB Weld glue...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnysmooth
    Heck, I just used some KB Weld (that two part epoxy you see at small hardware stores that has just about anything you can think of glued, or should I say bounded to a soda bottle) on my DMTs, no problems 2 months later

now to go knock some wood
    Hey Johnny, thanks for your input. I am going to give it a try while I wait for my new Shimanos carbon road shoes. If it does not work out for me, then I will give my hopeless shoe to my 6 months old German Sheppard dog, and she will have a feast with the synthetic nylon uppers, he-he...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Uhmm, better yet...mighty putty!