RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003

Best wheels for 200+ lb. riders?

Hi all,

I'm planning on getting a new wheelset this summer, not sure yet if I'll build some up or by pre-built (ala Ksyriums). Just wondering if I could get some feedback from some people in my weight range. I'm about 210 lbs. and I'm currently riding Open Pro's w/ Ultegra hubs. I'm looking for a good all-around wheelset, no specific uses. My 1st thought is King or White Ind. hubs w/CXP33's, but since it's a bit of money, I thought I'd better do some more research.

Thanks!

Dan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003

CXP's

I wiegh 185 and ride some pretty hard roads here in TN. I have CXP 33's on Dura Ace hubs/ 32 hole rims with 14/15 double butted spokes. I just rounded out 1400 miles with no problem what so ever. Wheels have stayed perfectly true. I would highly recommend. If you are way past two bills I would go with a 36 spoke rim with 14 gauge spokes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I had a set of Mavic CXP33's 32/36 spokes, 14/15 gage DT Swiss spokes and Hugi 240 hubs made by Joe Young at Young Wheels. After a year they have not cause me a moment of concern. Highly recommended.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Cool Chreck Mike Garcia at oddsandendos

before you buy anything. For under $350 he can build you just about anything you want. I have a set of Venus rims, sapim xray spokes, Speedcific hubs and weigh 220 and these wheels are just fabulous. Much faster than my OPs, which I like also.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by flakbait
    Hi all,

I'm planning on getting a new wheelset this summer, not sure yet if I'll build some up or by pre-built (ala Ksyriums). Just wondering if I could get some feedback from some people in my weight range. I'm about 210 lbs. and I'm currently riding Open Pro's w/ Ultegra hubs. I'm looking for a good all-around wheelset, no specific uses. My 1st thought is King or White Ind. hubs w/CXP33's, but since it's a bit of money, I thought I'd better do some more research.

Thanks!

Dan
    How good do you want to pay for?

For a top-quality, zero-issues wheel for us big folk, I'd go with 36-hole MA-3s or Torelli Masters on Phil Wood hubs. Kings are also nice, and much lighter than the Phils, but bigger riders should probably forgo the aluminum freehub body and get the stainless one.

I'm about 215, and almost all my wheels are 36 spoke. 32s hold up pretty well for me, but I ride light. They have needed more attention than my 36s, and four spokes don't weigh enough to notice. Every wheel I build from now on will have at least 36.

--Shannon

AJS
    banned
    Right now I'm using the stock wheels that came with my bike: WTB 32H Speedmaster rims, WTB Speed FX hubs, and 14/15 spokes laced radial front/3x both sides rear. I weigh 203, but need to get down to at least 195. The WTB's haven't given me any trouble since I bought the bike last July. I ride them mostly on-road, but about 25% off-road (CX bike).

I never did care much for radial lacing on a front wheel, unless they're a higher tensioned wheel like Campy's or Rolf's. I get some kind of flexing on hard turning or hammering out of the saddle with radial spokes, and the WTB front is no exception.

But the WTB's have been good wheels so far, and other road wheels I've owned that were 'no problemo' were Campy Shamal tubs (16F/18R aero) & Nucleon tubs (22F/24R aero); 28H front 2x/32H rear 3x both sides OP's/Record/straight 15ga; first generation Ksyrium's; and 28H front/32H rear Aerohead's/Chorus/straight 14ga laced 1x F/3x R drive, radial non. But I had the K's for only a week before I sent them back for the Nukes.

lyle -

On your Venus wheels: how many spokes each and what's the lacing?
    Last edited by AJS; 03-29-2004 at 07:48 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I weigh in at 210 and have a set of the Velomax Orion II. 3,000 miles later, they have not needed to be trued, nor have they had any other issues. I like these wheels: they're pretty light and they look SHARP.

The Edge
    What's wrong with what you have? I race and train on the same setup.
    I'm a gravity missile. Clydesdales, represent!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by niteschaos
    What's wrong with what you have? I race and train on the same setup.

Well, nothing is wrong with them, except I find myself truing them occasionally. I think deeper rims would help, and let's just face it, I'm a hub snob. I have King hubs on my MTB and have been very happy with them.

Dan

I don't fear carbs
    I weigh about 200 even right now. Usually about 10 pounds lighter, but I've been hitting the weights harder recently. I use CXP33s (32/36rear) w/ brass nips and 14/15 spokes. I had to rebuild the rear once, but the front wheel has remained true. I also have a pair of 32 spoke Open Pros built with record hub, Revs (except for drive side where I used 14/15) and alloy nips that I use for hill climbs and such. I wouldn't use such a light wheel for general use though.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

jrm
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

Stick with the OP's

Quote Originally Posted by flakbait
    Hi all,

Thanks!

Dan
    with CK's are real nice..

AJS
    banned

Question

Bocephus -

I use CXP33s (32/36rear) w/ brass nips and 14/15 spokes. I had to rebuild the rear once,...
    I'm surprised that you had to rebuild a 36H wheel that had fairly strong 14/15ga spokes. Like I said, I weigh about 200, and I've never had that kind of a problem with 32H wheels, same spokes (or even lighter straight 15's), and a shorter rim depth than the CXP33 (OP's, Aeroheads, etc.).

Was it a crash or something that caused the rebuild?

I don't fear carbs
    Quote Originally Posted by AJS
    Bocephus -

I'm surprised that you had to rebuild a 36H wheel that had fairly strong 14/15ga spokes. Like I said, I weigh about 200, and I've never had that kind of a problem with 32H wheels, same spokes (or even lighter straight 15's), and a shorter rim depth than the CXP33 (OP's, Aeroheads, etc.).

Was it a crash or something that caused the rebuild?
    I'm not too easy on wheels. I think I may have hit a pothole at speed. The wheel was very rideable, but had a slight flat spot so I decided it was time to rebuild. The original build may have been suspect as well. When I did the rebuild I went to the best builder I could find in town. So far no problems with that wheel other than a spoke loosening up once. I've never had one problem with the front 32 spoke version--probably 7-8k miles on it now.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    woohoo! post #1:

I'd suggest deep section aero rims, mainly for their strength. Eyelets (imho) are good. Thus the Mavic cxp 30 is a good candidate. Out of production, but available.

I think 24 or 28 hole 1x or 2x in front. Avoid radial lacing and you avoid the possibility of spoke heads pulling through the hub. King hubs say you can't radial lace their hubs. 14/15/14 spokes, alloy nipples if the rims have eyelets. I don't believe a higher spoke count is necessary on the front when using a deep section aluminum rim, even at your weight. (Look at the spoke counts of prebuilt wheels, they're usually lower)

Rear: go with 32 hole, 2x or 3x. brass nipples drive side, alloy nds if your builder will accomodate. 14/15/14 spokes.

Boiled linseed oil on the spoke threads, and a tiny bit of oil on the rim eyelets. Stress relieve, and you're good to go.

King hubs are a pricey but a good choice. Despite using cartridge bearings, they have a bearing preload adjustment. That means you need to check it, but you'll never have to suffer through bearing slop.

Finding a deep section aero rim with eyelets in 24 or 28 hole may be the hard part, it was for me. I found a website for a shop in the UK selling the cxp30 in these counts (24, 28, 32), but I can't remember the address now...

AJS
    banned
    Bocephus -

Thanks for clarifying that. I guess I'm not too tough on wheels generally, at least on the pave'. It's when I get off-road that I get a bit rowdy, but then I still haven't damaged wheels much.

Even when I had Cane Creek WAM's on a nearly 30 lb. FS rig, and took it all day bashing roots/rocks down a ski mountain on week-ends, I never even knocked the WAM's out of true or broke a spoke. Yes - the WAM's were fairly legendary for their strength-to-weight ratio, but the guys that operated the place thought I was a whack job, doing the Mt. at my then 193 lbs. on 24/28 spokes.

Ehh...what the hell did THEY know!? ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    i use cxp 30's w/ american classic hub (older ones) although i dont really like the rear hub to much becouse the bearing seem to go often but i weigh 220 and use 32 lacing and i dont have one bit of problems with truing and i have hit pot holes hard enough to blow front and rear tires and no wobble in the rims....no last year i used mavic cosmos wheels and they are 24 front and 28 rear and had no problem with truing...so just becouse you are over 200# you dont always need 36 spokes...just my opinion.