Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

Best White Tape Cleaner

I am new to this sport and recently bought a 2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact. The white tape was a small drawback as to keeping it clean, but Oh well. I figured I would cross that bridge when I came to it. It's been a few weeks now the the tape is looking pretty grubby.

Suggestions as to what works the best? I am considering getting gloves/mitts too.

Weed
    Lemon Pledge works pretty well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Replacing it with black works best.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    That was my first thought but you beat me to it. Wouldn't lemon Pledge make the tape slippery when wet? I ended up replacing all my tape with black because I found the effort to not be worth it. I tried all kinds of cleaners but none I would recommend. I use cork too so that may be harder to clean.

Gloves will not keep the tape clean. They get dirty too.
    Embrace the fact that everyone on these forums has their own unique desires, needs, experiences and environment so what works for you may not work for others.

Fecal indicator
    I use the Fizik MicroTek white tape and scrub it with dish soap or abrasive cleanser when it starts to look dingy. looks brand new afterwards.

the only thing that hasn't right come off is some black dye from a new pair of gloves that I used before washing them.
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Thanks for all of the replies. Believe it or not, I got it fairly clean using hand soap and a small (kinda) abrasive scouring pad and a damp cloth. Then wiped it dry. Eventually I will probably get it re-wrapped. I am leaning to the Fizik Honey Brown. I think it will look better than black.

Best White Tape Cleaner-img_2211.jpg

Wanted to add that I bought a bottle of *Black Magic Bleche Wite* tire cleaner .. worked AWESOME on left over sticker gunk (was stubborn to remove before) and stubborn grease stains on the frame. I sprayed some on a cloth and a quick wipe the frame came spotless clean.
    Last edited by kris7047th; 06-02-2013 at 09:07 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    My 2013 Felt Z4 came with white tape. It was nice and cushy but fairly porous. After about 4 months it looked like dirty dishwater. I replaced with with Fizik tape. Not as cushy but cleans up very easily and still looks great months later.
    2013 Felt Z4 56cm
    1990 Basso Loto 56cm

RoadBikeReview Member
    This has proven to work very well: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Original

pmt
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    I use the Fizik MicroTek white tape and scrub it with dish soap or abrasive cleanser when it starts to look dingy. looks brand new afterwards.
    Yes, this is the answer.

/thread

downhill quickly
    May 2007

Stop cleaning bar tape!

I certainly understand those who wish their ride to look new, clean and efficient. Shows attention to detail with a tight operating machine married to a watt massive engine.

However bar tape is excluded. Nothing says "I'm worried about how I look" and "you'll easily pass me" than fixation on new tape. Rather, dirty tape states; "worry about me dropping you"

White tape rules at that statement...especially if there is some blood or vomit staining that will NEVER come out. Red tape second with Black tape looking like dark Converse high tops on a basketball court...dull and slow ;)

Remember, tape is only changed when wear starts to abrade shifting and braking cable housing.

(note, "new tape" focus is permissible for only sponsored continental or EU teams with a professional wrench doing the installation)

Now: /thread

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DonDenver View Post
    I certainly understand those who wish their ride to look new, clean and efficient. Shows attention to detail with a tight operating machine married to a watt massive engine.

However bar tape is excluded. Nothing says "I'm worried about how I look" and "you'll easily pass me" than fixation on new tape. Rather, dirty tape states; "worry about me dropping you"

White tape rules at that statement...especially if there is some blood or vomit staining that will NEVER come out. Red tape second with Black tape looking like dark Converse high tops on a basketball court...dull and slow ;)

Remember, tape is only changed when wear starts to abrade shifting and braking cable housing.

(note, "new tape" focus is permissible for only sponsored continental or EU teams with a professional wrench doing the installation)

Now: /thread
    Eh .. I am not racing anyone. At my age a lady @ 62 and a newbie .. I am really happy that I am keeping up with my group who have been at this YEEAARS longer than me.

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
    Eh .. I am not racing anyone. At my age a lady @ 62 and a newbie .. I am really happy that I am keeping up with my group who have been at this YEEAARS longer than me.
    Kris...My guess is you set the example with the group. Actually, I think we'll categorize you as a neo-pro

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    lol .. actually a few of them are my age/older than me .. It's just that they have been doing this consistently where as I am having to catch up to get fit. I am getting there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I like it when my new white tape is showing dirt and sweat stains. I wear it as a badge of mileage and time in the saddle.

I wish I knew what tape I had installed right now though. It's some sort of cork. It's the best I've had in a long time.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

My radio control aircraft addiction is fed by: theprofilebrotherhood.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Lemon pledge and if that doesn't work blue Dawn dish soap.
    Trek Domane 5.2
    Cannondale Synapse 3 Ultegra Disc
    Fuji Cross Comp
    Trek Dual Sport 8.4 (sold)
    1969 Camaro Pace car - numbers matching frame off resto
    1969 Camaro Coupe

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Lemon Pledge it will be when I make a trip to the store (on the bike of course .. gas prices just skyrocketed yesterday, so the car will spend even more time parked in the garage)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am new to this sport and recently bought a 2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact............ It's been a few weeks now the the tape is looking pretty grubby.
    ..... Nothing says "I'm worried about how I look" and "you'll easily pass me" than fixation on new tape. Rather, dirty tape states; "worry about me dropping you"

White tape rules at that statement...especially if there is some blood or vomit staining that will NEVER come out.
    So... how are those lightweight handlebars holding up under that old tape? Any fractures or cracks?

I like to put new tape on every spring (mid-winter). And I wash the tape from time to time when I wash the bike as well. Cleaning the bike is the only time I find to fully inspect the machine.
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    So... how are those lightweight handlebars holding up under that old tape? Any fractures or cracks?

I like to put new tape on every spring (mid-winter). And I wash the tape from time to time when I wash the bike as well. Cleaning the bike is the only time I find to fully inspect the machine.
    I bought the bike new from a local bike shop. What you said sounds like sage advice to me,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Re: Best White Tape Cleaner

I am new to this sport and recently bought a 2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact. The white tape was a small drawback as to keeping it clean, but Oh well. I figured I would cross that bridge when I came to it. It's been a few weeks now the the tape is looking pretty grubby.

Suggestions as to what works the best? I am considering getting gloves/mitts too.
    Colored tape.

I had white on my Tarmac. Tried everything to the point of wearing out the tape. Replaced with red tape. Much better.

But if you really like the white tape maybe try and find white gloves?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    I am thinking of going with a brown tape instead of white. The bike is mostly white and I don't think the black will look good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    I've found that "409" type of general household spray cleaner, rubbed with a textured cloth (like terry cloth) cleans everything to about new condition.

ANother excellent cleaner is the gritty, pumice-type orange hand cleaner. It really cleans well, and I've never seen it harm anything.

I've used this stuff on foam-type tapes (Deda has been my go-to tape for years; I don't like cork tape). I recently installed some Stella Azura Eleganza and some Fizik Microtex (smooth) tapes. Both are really, really excellent tapes - the Fizik more minimal than the Stella, but the Stella is damn Eleganza and looks and feel absoulutely wonderful. It has a minimally cushy feel, looks leather-like and has some tackiness that I like. I like the Fizik too.

The STella is a little more difficult to clean totally, but cleans up OK with the pumice-type hand cleaner w/ rubbing. The Fizik is almost maintenance free.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    I find brown hand stains on white handlebar tape to be repulsive. About as much as yellow armpit stains - It's just not something I want to touch.

I keep my wife's cork handlebar tape sparkling white with a combination of soap and shoe whitener made for white canvas shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I find that WD 40 does a good job of taking dirt and grease off lots of things. I use it on my white Fizik saddle. if you then let it dry and wipe it down with a paper towel its not slippery either. I wonder how that would work on your white tape?

As an aside, if I end up with a grease stain on my leg (e.g. by touching my leg against the big ring while I'm unclipped) I've found that the best thing to remove it is not soap - its baby oil.

Fecal indicator
    Rather, dirty tape states; "worry about me dropping you"...
    so, dirty tape means you're a stud, huh...?

does the same logic apply to your underwear...?
    eff all y'all...

MXL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Once you go black, you never go back...
    Colnago C50 WH05 Record
    Colnago MXL D21 Chorus/Record
    Colnago CT1 CTR Centaur
    Nishiki Olympic 12 Suntour

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast