RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

Beware: GPS data & tracking being used to steal bikes

Velocipediologist
    Well at least someone actually cares about personal routes and rides being posted on line.
    Hey, crooks are peoples too.

Now to sign out and post up (or is it tweet?) on Nit Twit about my latest KOM on ESTRADA and link it to my FacePlant accnt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Interesting. I always keep track of my rides for personal use. I never thought about the info being used for theft. I'm glad I never posted my rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    think about it you start a ride most times it is from your house. You post it and now anyone can check if there is a pattern to your riding. Once there is a pattern they can come to your house knowing you most likely will not be home.

RoadBikeReview Member

Beware: GPS data & tracking being used to steal bikes

FWIW, Strava allows you to set a "privacy" mode, where it blocks out everything within a half-mile radius of your home.

Recycle King
    And that's why I stick with google map and bike computer. The more we reply on online technology, the more tools the bad guys will have to use to their advantage.
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

"Common sense is not too common these days."

"Cheap things have no value, valuable things are not cheap." - Fortune Cookie

Hold on I'm watching this
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrunnerLXXI View Post
    And that's why I stick with google map and bike computer. The more we reply on online technology, the more tools the bad guys will have to use to their advantage.
    I get a lot of crap from people about my bar mounted sextant and quadrant, but I'm just keeping it real yo. You would too if you had pirates looking for you.
    Last edited by Squrkey; 03-12-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by btakrrkw View Post
    I always keep track of my rides for personal use.
    I log my rides in a shark skin bound journal, for historical accuracy in case the city planners ever need to review them.

My sextant is calibrated quarterly, the quadrant is quite stable and only requires annual calibrations.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You post it and now anyone can check if there is a pattern to your riding. Once there is a pattern they can come to your house knowing you most likely will not be home.
    Or maybe there's another pattern in your life... like maybe a job?

And as pointed out, for Strava, just use privacy mode.

PIITWhat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Squrkey View Post
    I log my rides in a shark skin bound journal, for historical accuracy in case the city planners ever need to review them.

My sextant is calibrated quarterly, the quadrant is quite stable and only requires annual calibrations.
    I just count wheel revolutions over the course of my ride and match that with a (mechanical, of course, duh) stop watch. It was a little cumbersome at the beginning, but I zip-tied a bell to one of my spokes that hits my fork on each revolution, makes a cinch to count. I even mounted another bell (at a slightly different pitch) to my crank arm, so that it hits my chain stay - home made wireless cadence computer, HELLO!

Velocipediologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Squrkey View Post
    I get a lot of crap from people about my bar mounted sextant and quadrant, but I'm just keeping it real yo. You would too if you had pirates looking for you.
    You forgot the sun dial. Some people are such cavemen..............sheesh!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrunnerLXXI View Post
    Not to worry- my wife's home when I'm riding, and we have this sign by the gate:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    I just use my garmin to keep track of my own rides. I have never posted them anywhere as I do not see any reason for that. When I first got it I started making every ride into a time trial and was running some stop signs because of it. I got over that finally and am back to riding safely. I stop at all stop signs and signals. I guess I kind of wish I did not buy it really. I do not need the gadget and it's bothersome to charge it and upload it all the time. I was thinking I might give it to my son-in-law as he is a real gadget oriented guy and wants to spend his life poking at buttons and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Commander View Post
    I just count wheel revolutions over the course of my ride and match that with a (mechanical, of course, duh) stop watch. It was a little cumbersome at the beginning, but I zip-tied a bell to one of my spokes that hits my fork on each revolution, makes a cinch to count. I even mounted another bell (at a slightly different pitch) to my crank arm, so that it hits my chain stay - home made wireless cadence computer, HELLO!
    LC - please consider granting me permission to replicate this bell cadence and speed device for my exclusive use. Simply phukin brilliant!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    if they can get into my apartment, they deserve the bikes

48 floors up and through security lift and 3 to 4 security guards before you get to the lift, with access pass

RoadBikeReview Member
    puts the garmin 510's live tracking into perspective. who'd want to be tracked live???
    check my review page below!

www.roadiemanila.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Don't understand why anyone wants to share personal information with strangers anyway. If you met them online only they are sill trangers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sgt Dave Morris said that there had been an increase in the number of high-value cycles being stolen from sheds and outbuildings.
    Plus it's England. Chances are the homeowner can't even brandish a sharp stick to deter scumbags because that would be illegal.
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bob.satan View Post

48 floors up and through security lift and 3 to 4 security guards before you get to the lift, with access pass
    You should be ashamed if you don't own the KOM for the stairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by joe452 View Post
    Don't understand why anyone wants to share personal information with strangers anyway. If you met them online only they are sill trangers
    Who you calling a tranger?

Recycle King
    Quote Originally Posted by bob.satan View Post

Lucky you. Unfortunately, most of these posters don't have that type of security.

Bill2, I dig the sign. Is it in French?
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

"Common sense is not too common these days."

"Cheap things have no value, valuable things are not cheap." - Fortune Cookie

Quote Originally Posted by metoou2 View Post
    You forgot the sun dial. Some people are such cavemen..............sheesh!
    Seriously a sun dial on a road bike? I save the sun dial for my mountain bike...sextants and quadrants are all the rage on the road!

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    Sometimes I think I'm the only person who trains with nothing but a cheap wristwatch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BikesOfALesserGod View Post
    Plus it's England. Chances are the homeowner can't even brandish a sharp stick to deter scumbags because that would be illegal.
    Well, they could, they just very well might wind up in jail themselves..

Tony Martin (farmer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero View Post
    Sometimes I think I'm the only person who trains with nothing but a cheap wristwatch.

I would bet that you are, please consider wearing shorts at a minimum, maybey some nipple pasties if it is cold out.