RoadBikeReview Member

bib shorts for skinny people

I' about 5'7" and 150lbs and have a "slim" build. I tried on some a couple pair of bib shorts at the LBS tonight, and most weren't as snug as I would like on the rear end. Are there any specific brands that typically fit better for slimmer riders? I'd like to keep it under about $120 if possible.

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    Castelli
    Capo
    Exte Ondo come to mind.

banned
    Feb 2012
    The euro brands. Castelli, Giordana, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I'm 5'10" & weight 152lbs, so around your weight class/height, maybe a bit "slimmer" as you say. I have a pair of shorts & I have my bibs, between the two I love the bibs waaaay more than the shorts. I have these Specialized MTB Team Replica Bib Shorts - Claremont Cycle Depot, Claremont NH - The river valley's four season's bike shop. I bought them for I believe 90 dollars at my lbs, & they've been great on my road bike since I bought them January of 2010 even to this day when I used them. I like to think they're a partial reason why I've progressed so much in two years. hahaha

Master debator.
    If you could stretch that out to about $150 you could get some Castelli Body Paint bibs off Amazon.com. They are a slimmer Euro fit. I just got some so I can't comment on durability, but the fit is incredible and the chamois is my favorite I have it in other shorts.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

CAADalyst
    Im 5'8 140 and the small S sugoi rs bibs fit me well...there are in your price range

Sugoi RS Bib Short '11 > Apparel > Shorts > Cycling Shorts | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

RoadBikeReview Member
    I LOVE my Castelli Body Paint bibs! I also have Giordana FormaRed and they don't fit quite as well, I probably should have gotten a size down from the BP's. Castelli and Giordana both have the Euro cut and they have some in that price range. The Giordana Silverline and the Castelli Endurance should be both at your price point. BUT Realcyclist has last year Castelli BP's on sale for $150, well worth the money! I'm 6' and weigh 165 pounds and the large fits me well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm 160 lb and 5'9". I wear medium PI, LG, Hincapie, etc but Castelli XL fit snugly, the straps are too short, and the legs too long. The bottoms of the legs are loose around my knees. Sounds like Castelli may work well for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    aerotechdesigns.com I'm 5'8 145 the small size fits well. Good quality. Made in USA, and only $60.00.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Sugoi RS or RSE

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you go w/ the Castelli Body Paint option here is a coupon you can use and save 30% and get $2.50 S&H. Brings total price down to $107.50 (sizes S, M, XL only).

Site: Castelli Body Paint Cycling Bib Shorts (For Men) - Save 40%

Code: BKE6755D (expires midnight MST 14 Apr & good for first 3 uses)
    HERKWO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    You must have wide shoulders (and heavy bones?)

I'm taller than you and weigh significantly less (1.75m, 56kg) and I wear size S bib shorts from Castelli (Ypro, Cronos, Free) and Descente (Optima). Most of them are "older" models and I just bought a "new" Descente Aero-X because I read it has the same "Stealth" chamois as my Descente Optima. It turned out it is very different: much thicker and wider, so this doesn't work for me.

Are there any manufactures who actually use different sized chamois' for size S vs L etc? I got some Volers because I read somewhere they would use "thin" chamois but even those turn out to be thick and wide. I called Voler (very friendly and helpful person on the phone!) and they said they wouldn't have anything smaller :-(

So while those bibs have a snug fit, the wide/thick chamois causes problems for me. Moreover, size S is usually for shorter people which means the shoulder straps can be too short. It isn't much fun for me to buy (cycling) clothes...