Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Bicycle Security - Kryptonite Locks

6K views 31 replies 26 participants last post by  Visitor302 
#1 ·
This may be old news, but I saw a link to a site today that states you can open certain Kryptonite locks with a ball point pen. I think you should know so you can take action, buy a new lock, complain to Kryptonite - whatever, but don't trust your lock. Hopefully fellow cyclists won't miss use this info.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=66128&page=1&pp=25

#4 ·
97 Teran said:
So any bike more than $150 should be kept in my bedroom, under my pillow?
jk

I'm not sure what you mean here...
That's not a bad idea- if you live in a city- well, if not under your pillow, maybe in the kitchen.

Every bike I've ever keep outdoors, in the parking garage, or in my storage locker (from my rental days) was eventually stolen (that is three bikes). One bike was kryptonited to the front railing by the steps, and the theives took the entire railing with the bike.

You can do whatever you want, but the other immutable law of bike theft seems to be, the cheaper the bike, the less likely it is to walk away. Also, if you go with a department store piece of junk, you won't have any quick releases to make theft of the wheels easy ;)

If you are in a really high crime neighborhood, you might consider locking it up indoors. I had a roommate who had his bike stolen from inside the house. I think they used it to ride off with everything else they took. That place was like living in the movie "Friday."

#5 ·
now on Yahoo

DannyBoy said:
This may be old news, but I saw a link to a site today that states you can open certain Kryptonite locks with a ball point pen. I think you should know so you can take action, buy a new lock, complain to Kryptonite - whatever, but don't trust your lock. Hopefully fellow cyclists won't miss use this info.

this issue also made the "most popular e-mailed photos" on Yahoo.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/040916/480/bx10609162007&e=8

#7 ·
DannyBoy said:

I'm surprised this isn't the most active topic on this board today. What gives? I'm going to return mine to REI even though I bought it 6 years ago.

#8 ·
Just mentioned on NPR

I was driving my car today with NPR on the radio. They just profiled the guy who discovered the Kryptonite / Pen hack. This issue has had a lot of activity on other bike message boards. Sounds like Kryptonite is screwed. It sounds like Kryptonite is offering to change out any lock cores to any U lock owner that has this problem.

#9 ·
Having had three bicycles stolen with Kryptonite locks (all of which were NYC guaranteed), I have moved over to MasterLock and have had no problems using their Street Cuff SS model... It also comes with a $4000 dollar stolen guarantee but I cannot comment on how easy it is to make a claim as I haven't had the need to do so.

The only downside is it's heavy weight, but the few times that I need to use a lock (not being able to bring my bike indoors... gym, pool, etc..) I bring the lock and it's no problem.

At any rate, I think it's an ethical shame to not use my exspensive bike because I'm afraid of it getting stolen... in that case, I would get more daily usage out of my cheap bike.

#10 ·
That's why they say "all bikes weigh 30 pounds"

When I started cycling, in the early '70s, the old-time French shop owner who deceived me into buying a Peugeot used to claim that "all bikes weigh 30 pounds." If you had a 30-pound bike, you could lean it against a wall and walk away. If you got down to 25 pounds, pretty good in those days, you needed a five-pound lock. When you whittled the bike down to 20 pounds, you had to carry a 10-pound chain...

#12 · (Edited)
May not just be kryptonite.....

It's my understanding that this trick may work on a number of locks that use the cylindrical type key. This includes vending machines and possibly even those "cuff" locks above. Would check it out before you use them.

I personally used my kryptonite "new york" chain on my brand new Jamis in downtown Philadelphia for about a year.

Lucky no one knew this trick I suppose......

-Chuck

**** EDIT **** I understand that the Masterlock "U" locks are opened just as easy. It's my guess that those cuff would be the same. If you use a lock (any brand) with a cylindrical key please look into this. Also, a lot of computers use locks like these as security. The pen works for many of these as well.

#13 ·
Stockholm said:
Having had three bicycles stolen with Kryptonite locks (all of which were NYC guaranteed), I have moved over to MasterLock and have had no problems using their Street Cuff SS model... It also comes with a $4000 dollar stolen guarantee but I cannot comment on how easy it is to make a claim as I haven't had the need to do so.

The only downside is it's heavy weight, but the few times that I need to use a lock (not being able to bring my bike indoors... gym, pool, etc..) I bring the lock and it's no problem.

At any rate, I think it's an ethical shame to not use my exspensive bike because I'm afraid of it getting stolen... in that case, I would get more daily usage out of my cheap bike.
The Street Cuff SS models have a very low recommendation as the thief can twist the bike like a lever and snap the little link in the middle.

#16 ·
Disappointed

Yeah, there response is very disappointing to me. It seems there lifetime "guarantee" only means 2 years. I had trust in them before and there locks are good quality, but if a company is going to "wimp out" and not stand behind there product and slogan, then in my mind they obviously don't care about their customers.

I'll be visting their website....

#17 ·
To just clarify, MasterLock makes 4 different models in the StreetCuff line up... Two of which are the flimsier black street cuff, (single link, and 7 link), which received a rating of 8 out of 10 in Cycling Plus Magazine (http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk).

They claimed that while using traditional methods (hammer, twisting, etc.) that this model could not be broken within 5 minutes, however after using more advanced methods, (saws, bolt cutters, freon, etc.) that it took 4.35 minutes.

The heavier duty SS cuffs that I mentioned earlier (single link, and 7 link) both could not be broken under 10 minutes... I think it's safe to assume that any lock is breakable but asking a lock to withstand 10 minutes by an experienced thief is reasonable.

Two other locks that also received top ratings were the Abus Granit 1000 Steel-O-Flex, and the Kryptonite Fahgettaboutdit chain.

I think it's important to notice that none of these locks use the traditional U-lock shape, as theives just simply use a foldable car jack found in every car to pry the U-lock open....

#18 ·
Just making an observation:

This story has resulted in 16 responses so far, and maybe another 10 or so in related threads on other catagories.

OTOH, over at Bikeforums.net, they have about 700 responses on their thread.

I guess we must actually ride our bikes more.....

#20 ·
I'm in campus law enforcement, and we do a Kryptonite-sponsored bike lock/registration program. Naturally this story has attracted a lot of interest, and we've had students coming in waving the NYT article and wondering if their bikes are safe.
We've been communicating with Kryptonite as well.

The lock we're currently using does not appear particularly vulnerable to this attack, as the centerpost for the lock is too large to force the pen over. No doubt a suitably-sized tube could be found...
Vending machines and other items which use what we used to call "shunt-key" locks, especially of older design, may be vulnerable as well.
Supposedly, Kryptonite is going to offer to replace the locks with what they describe as a "disc-type" system.

It's been known for many years that these locks can be "picked" either with a commercially-made item (for sale to professionals only!....hehe) or improvised devices such as we have seized over the years. This pen attack seems to indicate that the lock mechanism itself is particularly sloppy and easy to manipulate.
No doubt Kryptonite is in for a heavy hit on this.

Interesting to note that despite our lock program (you get a high-end lock and free registration for all 4 years of school for a mere 20.00, and it's refundable!) I see many bikes locked up with cheesy cables that can be defeated in seconds with a small bolt-cutter or even a sharp pair of nippers.

#22 ·
So much for the Cuffs

Stockholm said:
I have moved over to MasterLock and have had no problems using their Street Cuff SS model... It also comes with a $4000 dollar stolen guarantee but I cannot comment on how easy it is to make a claim as I haven't had the need to do so.
, I would get more daily usage out of my cheap bike.
Well,

After all the fuss about the pen trick, I got out a pen, and went through all the locks I have in my house ( 2 old kryptonite U locks, a newer Trek U Lock made by Kryptonite, and the Master Lock Cuffs.).

And guess what, I couldn't get any of my Kryptonite locks open with the pen trick, but that damn Master Lock cuff popped open in about 4 seconds. Ruined the lock core in the process.

I really liked the cuffs, but I'm not too sad to see 'em busted if I was able to pop em open in all of 4 seconds with no practice.

Oh well, maybe I'll just carry duct tape, and tape my friggin bike to the rack!

#23 ·
Nope, nope, nope, goodby

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetisscripts/abtinetis.exe/templateform@public?tn=home_home

Customers will need to have either registered their key number, registered for the Kryptonite anti-theft protection offer or have proof of purchase to qualify.
Didn't register my key number, didn't register for the anti-theft offer, and no longer have the proof of purchase. Guess there's no need for me to check into their web site Wednesday afternoon.

I think I'll just go back to training for next year and pick up a lock at a local lockshop in the mean time. I think I'll ask in the lab downstairs about re-keying my circular-keyed locks for more secure and less manipulatable versions, probably no-go but worth the question to them anyways.

#24 ·
I checked with the shop i bought my lock from and they had the record of the purchase on their computer so they can print me a new receipt....GREAT!
They confirmed that i bought my lock 2 years and 4 months ago... NOT SO GREAT!

I don't understand how kryptonite can, in good concience, or even legally for that matter, impose a two year limit.

#25 ·
bankruptcy looming?

I don't understand how Kryptonite can remain out of insolvency now that it has agreed to replace every lock sold over 2 years (or longer, possibly?). That's a lot of product to give away for an understandably unforseen problem.

I guess, Krypto's parent - Ingersoll-Rand - might be big enough to pick up the tab. Also, generic Krypto copies sell for $10, so Krypto's profit margin must be pretty big. Not much value left in that brand, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.