Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    39

    Bicycling Magazine: Progressive Periodical or Porn Rag?

    Just got my copy of Bicycling and, in keeping with its recent racy theme for ads, there is one on page 102 for Adam and Eve with Bree Olsen as the hook. For those of you unfamiliar with the actress' work, a quick internet search will educate you with very UNambiguous results. Bree informs us that using Bike11 as the code at checkout wins us some free AND discounted smut.

    This makes the Pearl Izumi ad from recent months (where a man and a woman are practically copulating) pale in comparison. My question is: why does Bicycling need to resort to allowing these kinds of ads into a historically stand-up periodical? Of course sex sells, but do they really think a plurality of the readership will accept this? It certainly seems that Bicycling is treading on precarious territory with the direction of their content.

    How long before the back cover shows an amorous couple finding a new use for a tandem? Or Ron Jeremy touting the stiffness of his ride? Watch it, Bicycling - watch it.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    61
    Given how thin the mag has gotten lately (I got a free subscription for buying a water bottle or something), I would guess they are pretty hard-up for advertising dollars. Now I think I'll just google Bree Olsen...

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,232
    I recently got the $5/yr. subscription just to have something to read, and only have Sept. issue.....but I think I'll go back and see what I can find . Anyway, doesn't bother me either way...

    **

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    226
    Jesus what a prude. haven't the Puritans died off yet?

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    164
    i stopped reading at bree olsen

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    13
    thanks for spreading the good word, think I'll follow your advise and search "Bree Olsen".

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BetweenRides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    123
    Thanks for the Link!

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: mopartodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    181
    I didn't even notice the ad until you pointed it out...lol
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,931
    Quote Originally Posted by mandr007 View Post
    Just got my copy of Bicycling and, in keeping with its recent racy theme for ads, there is one on page 102 for Adam and Eve with Bree Olsen as the hook. For those of you unfamiliar with the actress' work, a quick internet search will educate you with very UNambiguous results. Bree informs us that using Bike11 as the code at checkout wins us some free AND discounted smut.

    This makes the Pearl Izumi ad from recent months (where a man and a woman are practically copulating) pale in comparison. My question is: why does Bicycling need to resort to allowing these kinds of ads into a historically stand-up periodical? Of course sex sells, but do they really think a plurality of the readership will accept this? It certainly seems that Bicycling is treading on precarious territory with the direction of their content.

    How long before the back cover shows an amorous couple finding a new use for a tandem? Or Ron Jeremy touting the stiffness of his ride? Watch it, Bicycling - watch it.
    you sound quite knowledgeable in the smut department
    Blows your hair back.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    671
    In my own opinion, Bicycling Magazine does a lot of repeat stories. How many times can they revise "Climb Better", or "Train to Ride a Century" articles? Those are just a few examples. In the past year, they've run two separate articles on cargo bikes. I don't know about you, but I'm a road cyclist, and I couldn't give a rat's ass about cargo bikes, cyclo-cross, mountain biking, and commuter bikes. But that's just me. Bicycling covers all of those areas, and repeats them over and over again. And I am almost beginning to think they play favorites with bike manufacturers too when they rate and give a bike review. My subscription is almost out and I will probably not renew. I'll look for a different magazine that is geared to road cycling specifically.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    671
    As far as the ads are concerned, any magazine will publish anyone's paid advertising. It's what pays the bills. I don't get too caught up in all the hype of any ad. Those ads are produced by an ad agency to catch one's eye immediately and process quickly in the brain. Since most men and women are sexually driven, sex appeals to the masses, and that's what they use to attract buyers.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: froze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,883
    Quote Originally Posted by dmong2 View Post
    Given how thin the mag has gotten lately (I got a free subscription for buying a water bottle or something), I would guess they are pretty hard-up for advertising dollars. Now I think I'll just google Bree Olsen...
    How thin lately? It was getting thin back in the late 80's when I stopped my subscribtion!! They use to be a mag that geared toward beginners and advance riders, now their for beginner rich riders. They either eliminated or shortened all the stories and how to's, and replaced them with ads. Then when they did a review of a product, more then likely that product had an ad thus they couldn't report anything bad or questionable in the report for fear they would lose a sponsor. Now it's just a ***** mag for beginners.

    I now subscribe to Cycling Times, it's sometimes a little ecentric, but at least it's informative.

  13. #13
    Third Coast Colnago
    Reputation: calle_betis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by adjtogo View Post
    In my own opinion, Bicycling Magazine does a lot of repeat stories. How many times can they revise "Climb Better", or "Train to Ride a Century" articles? Those are just a few examples. In the past year, they've run two separate articles on cargo bikes. I don't know about you, but I'm a road cyclist, and I couldn't give a rat's ass about cargo bikes, cyclo-cross, mountain biking, and commuter bikes. But that's just me. Bicycling covers all of those areas, and repeats them over and over again. And I am almost beginning to think they play favorites with bike manufacturers too when they rate and give a bike review. My subscription is almost out and I will probably not renew. I'll look for a different magazine that is geared to road cycling specifically.
    It's kind of like...bicycling, it's pretty simple and straight forward. Over the years, I've read quite a few articles on the same subjects (just like on this forum), just with a different perspective. It's OK. The ads are understandable given that newspapers and mags are struggling due to the internet.

    I agree with you about the other stuff. I have no interest in mountain bikes, cargo, etc although an occasional review doesn't really bother me. It seems that they show the same bike companies.

    I'd like Bicycling (the mag) to do (or continue to do) some articles on nice rides, tours, multi-days around the country; how cyclists and bicyclists can improve the perception of cycling, tire reviews, upgrades for performance returns, etc. I'd like to read about the every day roadie too, and how they work cycling into their lives as well as reading about how former racers ride today. Maybe they could do an interactive survey concerning what readers want to read about. I read other cycling periodicals, as well.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jmitro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by calle_betis View Post
    It's kind of like...bicycling, it's pretty simple and straight forward. Over the years, I've read quite a few articles on the same subjects (just like on this forum), just with a different perspective. It's OK.
    +1. the topic gets redundant after a while. it's the riding that's fun, and following the pro races if you're into it.

  15. #15
    Proud luddite
    Reputation: azpeterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,265
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
    +1. the topic gets redundant after a while. it's the riding that's fun, and following the pro races if you're into it.
    My wife loves cats and for a while we subscribed (yes, I am willing to admit this in public!) to Cat Fancy. Cats don't really change either: they eat, they poop, they pee, they barf, they have hairballs, they claw your furniture, and they are cute when they are kittens. The articles pretty much dealt with those topics, but with pictures of different cats each month. Thankfully we didn't renew that subscription.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,591
    Quote Originally Posted by mandr007 View Post
    Just got my copy of Bicycling and, in keeping with its recent racy theme for ads, there is one on page 102 for Adam and Eve with Bree Olsen as the hook. For those of you unfamiliar with the actress' work, ....
    So what was it that led to your familiarity with Bree's work?

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12
    So if not Bicycling...where should a relative newbie spend his subscription dollars?

  18. #18
    25.806975801127
    Reputation: PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,782
    I don't care what Bicycling has for ad content - Bicycling is irrelevant. After I read the same article 7 years in a row, I finally caught on.

    Road Bike Action, Paved, Road, Bicycle Times - all of those are much better magazines.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

    Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

    Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    892
    Haven't had a subscription in over 20 years. In fact have bought it on a regular basis for over 20 years. Every now and then I'll get an issue if I see an article that looks interesting. The magazine could be alot better if they did more product reviews and comparisons. Hell, I haven't seen a review or comparison on rims. Wouldn't want to review anything but "this" pre-built wheelset or "that" pre-built wheelset. For the most part, I don't think it's worth the paper it's printed on.

    In the September issue they had an article on Grand Fondo's. They picked th Las Vegas Grand Fondo as one to put on your bucket list. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, oh they were being serious. Of all the Grand Fondo's in this country and Europe, they picked Las Vegas as a "must do " ride. Please, having lived in Las Vegas for 16 years, got to say; riding there is nothing to write home about. It just reinforced why I don't buy that magazine.

    If Bree Olsen is in there showing some nipple, couldn't hurt.

  20. #20
    Darling of The Lounge
    Reputation: Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,957
    Sometimes I'll be a copy of Bicycling at the airport and read it while at the gate. By the time my seating zone is called to board, I'm pretty much done with it. It's donated it to next weary traveler with a casual interest in cycling.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    39
    Note that I never said I was against porn or had any problem with Bree Olsen. In fact, Charlie Sheen has good taste - he's not "Winning" by accident!

    It simply surprises me that Bicycling is trending toward the XXX - I guess I greatly misguessed the core demo of the mag, which I thought was conservative. Hell, at this point, they might even be better off by just going off the deep end and rename it Bi-Cycling. I'm sure the fold outs would be much more interesting than "The 50 Golden Rules". But I would still only subscribe for the articles.

  22. #22
    I'm interesting.
    Reputation: superjesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    919
    Bicycling has had Adam and Eve ads in the back pages for years. This isn't anything new.

    Can't say I recommend Adam & Eve, either. I guess it's fitting that they're in Bicycling magazine, though. Adam & Eve has a small, overpriced selection with a lot of house label products, kind of like the average LBS.
    "This thread gives me hope that the human race will render itself extinct in my lifetime...." PlatyPius
    "You're not a real cyclist unless you spend money needlessly....." ZoSoSwiM
    "Power is power and it has to be paid for." Alex_Simmons/RST

  23. #23
    Slightly Opinionated
    Reputation: robdamanii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    10,144
    Quote Originally Posted by superjesus View Post
    bicycling has had adam and eve ads in the back pages for years. This isn't anything new.

    Can't say i recommend adam & eve, either. I guess it's fitting that they're in bicycling magazine, though. Adam & eve has a small, overpriced selection with a lot of house label products, kind of like the average trek or specialized concept store. :d
    fify.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.


    The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

  24. #24
    I'm interesting.
    Reputation: superjesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    919
    Well played.
    "This thread gives me hope that the human race will render itself extinct in my lifetime...." PlatyPius
    "You're not a real cyclist unless you spend money needlessly....." ZoSoSwiM
    "Power is power and it has to be paid for." Alex_Simmons/RST

  25. #25
    Steaming piles of opinion
    Reputation: danl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10,524
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    you sound quite knowledgeable in the smut department
    I know, right?

    And apparently not about Bicycling - "a historically stand-up magazine?"



    /It's been of iffy quality, even for a beginner's interests, for the last, well, forever.

    Free with your subscription renewal - a new editor and staff of writers.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bicycling magazine
    By Creakyknees in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 05-01-2011, 04:18 AM
  2. Bicycling Magazine
    By Snakebit in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 07:12 PM
  3. Bicycling Magazine ?
    By gigemaggs99 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-03-2009, 06:25 AM
  4. Bicycling Magazine
    By Slim Again, Soon in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 01:09 AM
  5. Bicycling Magazine...
    By Elfstone in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-12-2007, 06:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook