Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007

Bicyclist dies after pickup hits her in West Boca

We lost a rider during our weekly ride this morning. Due to the route layout most of us didn't find out until we got back to the start.

Hopefully there will be more details in the days to come.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/pal...,6503178.story

Bicyclist dies after pickup hits her in West Boca

11:52 a.m. EDT, October 17, 2009

A bicyclist was killed early Saturday after being struck by a pickup west of Boca Raton.

The victim, a woman in her 20s, was not identified, nor was the driver of the truck. The accident happened just after sunrise when the bicyclist, traveling east on Palmetto Park Road at Shorewind Drive, was struck from behind by the truck.

The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office is investigating.

More than 600 bicyclists have died in traffic crashes in Florida from 2004 to 2008, with 43 fatalities in Palm Beach County and 44 in Broward.

Copyright 2009, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Sad, that is all I can say....from your neighbor up the road in Jupiter.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009

Pickup drivers

Very sad story.

I am probably stereotyping, but I think pickup truck drivers are the most aggressive class of drivers when it comes to dealing with cyclists.

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe the biker
    Very sad story.

I am probably stereotyping, but I think pickup truck drivers are the most aggressive class of drivers when it comes to dealing with cyclists.
    I am pickup driver and you sound just like the jerks who always write in the comments of an article about how we should not be allowed on the road. Please don't fall into the stereotyping trap. Just a few months ago a cyclist in Boca was assaulted by a convertible Lexus.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Holy chit
    600 deaths in 4 years? That's over 12/month. Wow! That is a lot of deaths.

Even if you count the Salmon(ninjas).

I think Portland had about 12 in one year. And I was freaking out

600 is out of control

edit: Forgot to convey my condolences to her family and your club.

Two scoops of inertia.
    SoFla sucks for cycling. My choice of route was so limited. It's either parks or I'd ride out on state road 84 to Weston and ride around there. It's not like DC or NYC where cyclists are everywhere. The drivers just aren't looking for you. Even when there are bike lanes.
    "Do I need to tell you what the f*ck you can do with an aluminum tube? ALUMINUM!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    That's terrible. That's a lot of deaths within four years. I hope something is done soon to help prevent accidents like this from occurring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe the biker
    Very sad story.

From another pickup truck driver, you are most definitely stereotyping.

My condolences to her family and friends.

Beetpull DeLite
    Just after sunrise, could have been hard to see. Sad.

It's not easy being green
    Drivers in Miami see cyclists as a nuisance. I almost got clipped by a school bus one day. Instead of giving way, they will honk and try to run you off the road. My trainer gets a lot of use! I am sorry for that woman's family!

RoadBikeReview Member
    My condolences to the womans family. Was there any update from the driver?

I was driving to work the other day and the sun was directly in my eye; before I knew it I was right next to a rider, good thing I was paying attention; fumbling with the radio, texting or talking on the cell phone would have cause disaster for the rider. The next morning the rider was on the trail with a high viz vest on.

I just started riding roads; I used to ask why would riders want to be on the road with a perfectly good path riight next to them; after a few falls dodging walkers, dogs, babyjoggers I now understand why.

I am now very conscience of my driving and really think education of all drivers needs to be increased regarding sharing the roads with bikers.

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    Drivers in Miami see cyclists as a nuisance. I almost got clipped by a school bus one day. Instead of giving way, they will honk and try to run you off the road. My trainer gets a lot of use! I am sorry for that woman's family!
    Miami is the worst for sure but it is spreading North. I am very lucky to have the roads I do in the Jupiter area and we have a lot of day laborers that ride bikes so the public is use to seeing them on the roads and watch for them. Of course it is almost time for the snowbirds to arrive and that changes everything in South Florida. Winter time is MTB season here for a reason.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Florida statistics

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapr
    600 deaths in 4 years? That's over 12/month. Wow! That is a lot of deaths.
    Florida is the worst state in the US for bicycle fatalities.

More cowbell!
    Sounds like a tragic accident. Both the cyclist and driver were eastbound just after sunrise, so it's very likely the driver was partially blinded by the glare.
    DFL > DNF > DNS

kytyree
    My condolences to her family and friends.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Regarding the sun glare this morning. I didn't have any trouble with glare this morning. Usually I have problems even with my sunglasses on.

(The particular stretch of road is 2 lanes plus a shoulder with a speed limit of 40mph).
    I drove by the site on Monday. The speed limit is 45mph & the shoulder narrows to about 1ft or less before that stretch of road.
    The road also bends to the left before the site. You don't really notice when you are in the paceline.

Still hard to believe it happened.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=2...01206&t=h&z=20
    Last edited by Strings; 10-20-2009 at 05:53 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So sorry to hear this. Did you know the rider well? What a tragedy.

banned
    Apr 2008

I agree. . .

Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    Just after sunrise, could have been hard to see. Sad.
    Cycling is stupidly dangerous in the in early morning. Between the sun rising, tired eyes and drunks it's NOT a good time to ride. Late day is much better. Condolences to the family. Sorry for the loss.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by QQUIKM3
    Cycling is stupidly dangerous in the in early morning. Between the sun rising, tired eyes and drunks it's NOT a good time to ride. Late day is much better. Condolences to the family. Sorry for the loss.
    I have heard just the opposite, that is is worst in the evening. More road rage due to problems at work, people tired from work and in a hurry to get home, so not paying attention. You still have the issue with the sun, only it is setting, not rising.

kytyree
    Regardless the sun in your eyes is not a valid excuse for hitting someone. If a driver can't see well whether its due to the sun, fog or their blackberry they need to slow down, the speed limit may no longer provide adequate reaction time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by QQUIKM3
    Cycling is stupidly dangerous in the in early morning. Between the sun rising, tired eyes and drunks it's NOT a good time to ride. Late day is much better. ......
    This is a general statement that doesn't hold water. Depends on much more. Like when is traffic heavy, day of week, etc. Different for each of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I just think most of the cyclist deaths I've heard of, are with pickup trucks or SUV, maybe it is due to the size and shape of those vehicles?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    One of my other good friends is working for the fire department, so I heard about the details shortly after the accident. It is tragic, but I cannot accept the sun glare defense. I drive to work every morning at sunrise, and I always make sure to wear sunglasses that provide visibility. The authorities need to enforce traffic laws, create better ones (ban cell phone usage and texting) and start issuing tickets for violations. Many drivers should not be behind the wheel. I'm not trying to single out this one pickup driver, but I know the West Boca loop very well, and I had a ton of close calls out there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chanc2
    I just think most of the cyclist deaths I've heard of, are with pickup trucks or SUV, maybe it is due to the size and shape of those vehicles?
    Orr the mindset of their drivers? I understand that there are a number of pickup drivers here and am not wanting to stereotype. But in Colorado and NM where I live now, seems like many of these are driven in a very aggressive fashion with little regard for anything else on the road, 'cept maybe semis.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004

Stereotype

I got a Dodge truck and a sedan also so I can stereotype. But I've been riding for more than 20 years and I never seen a sedan try to gun their V8 to dump all their smoke on you passing at 6 inches from you. I seen distracted sedan drivers or any other car driver passing close or hitting people but I hate when trucks pass and floor the gas to crop dust you. And I do ride in Miami at this time and is nasty. For reference I lived in P.R., DC, Italy and rode in more than 25 startes. I even rode in Korea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast