Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Big ride coming up, got the sweet wheels for it...

Bontrager Aeolus 3s that are tubeless ready. My question is should I set them up with some tubeless tires or some sweet non tubeless tires and run latex tubes??

gazing from the shadows
    You should do nothing at all before the big ride, because the best times ever had on big rides are due to untested equipment.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

gazing from the shadows
    OK...

Have you ever used tubeless before?

Do you have a specific tubeless tire(s) in mind already? If so, what, and what are the sweet conventional tires you have in mind as the alternative?

Will the "big ride" subject you to flat dangers beyond the "normal" level?

Will you run sealant?

What is the nature of the big ride? Is it a race? Is time a concern? If so, are seconds important (shave rotational weight), or just minutes (avoiding a flat)?

Is it more social? If so, do you mind being the doofus who keeps everyone waiting while you figure out your new stuff?

BTW, none of that would matter to me. New toys should be used in the newest way possible, imo.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Have you ever changed a tubeless tire yet and if so, how long did it take you? You now have your answer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm definitely not a fan of making huge equipment changes before a race. But, I'm talking swapping a derailleur at 10pm on Friday night. Hell, I've raced on the first ride of new bike.

The rationale is that you want time to dial things in, or get used to them. I don't see your new wheelset meeting either of those. Mount tires. Air up to your usual PSI or close to it (for this ride). Ride. No dialing in. No getting used to anything.

Even if you totally blow the mounting (it can be a messy pain in the ass, if you've not doing it before... a lot), you still have the old wheelset/tires ready to go.

My vote: mount up and enjoy those sweet wheels.

Forever a Student
    use a torque wrench

Banned forever.....or not
    Do you actually feel that these new wheels will "make" you ride faster????
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Do you actually feel that these new wheels will "make" you ride faster????
    I don't remember OP saying anything about going faster.

Did I miss it or did you just make that up?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by ngl View Post
    Have you ever changed a tubeless tire yet and if so, how long did it take you? You now have your answer.
    This. I championed road tubeless for years...told everyone that would listen how great it was. After one major flat I've been back to tubes for 3 years. What a frickin mess. Big tires, latex tubes (if you want) and low pressure. Haven't flatted since.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    How could I resist the urge to read and reply to a thread started by Factory Feel and last replied by CXWrench? Though it wasn't as juicy as I was expecting.

My reply is that I feel the same way about this that I do about people who show up on my club rides with new stuff they have never tested before, then wonder why they are having problems. I really wish people would debug new equipment elsewhere.
    Last edited by Lombard; 03-15-2017 at 05:54 AM.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I'm gonna go with "yes" tubes.

Done a lot of "no" tubes on mtb and it's fine for that but have never tried it on roadie.

Forever a Student
    If there's time I suggest you sell them and buy something better. It's nice that they're made here and all but they suck. Their aerodynamics are literally backwards.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    If there's time I suggest you sell them and buy something better. It's nice that they're made here and all but they suck. Their aerodynamics are literally backwards.
    make me an offer

Forever a Student
    Three packs of fruit snacks.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    tempting

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    My question is should I set them up with some tubeless tires or some sweet non tubeless tires and run latex tubes??
    The latter unless you just feel the need to do something silly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Okay, I'll bite. How are the aerodynamics literally backwards? I'll assume you didn't use literally in the literal sense there... or the wheels would either be more aero going sideways or they act as parachutes...

Seriously though, I have yet to see anything but stellar reviews of these wheels - lots (!) of stellar reviews.

Come on MMsRepBike, you can't drop a $3,000 bomb on the OP like that with out some evidence...we're not just talking wire tapping here. Wheels is serious business. ;-)
    Last edited by OldZaskar; 03-15-2017 at 11:24 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb100 View Post
    Did I miss it or did you just make that up?
    It was the latter.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. How are the aerodynamics literally backwards? I'll assume you didn't use literally in the literal sense there... or the wheels would either be more aero going sideways or they act as parachutes...

Seriously though, I have yet to see anything but stellar reviews of these wheels - lots (!) of stellar reviews.

Come on MMsRepBike, you can't drop a $3,000 bomb on the OP like that with out some evidence...we're not just talking wire tapping here. Wheels is serious business. ;-)
    https://youtu.be/6cbwkyFJ5bY?t=1m36s

Symmetrical airfoil vs. trailing edge airfoil

Bontrager is approaching the problem backwards, from the wrong side of the wheel, the leading edge. Zipp is neutral, they treat both sides as if they're the same. Knight is approaching the problem from the trailing edge, the correct edge. Backwards from what Bontrager is doing.

The wheels are built really well and the company has good intentions, it's just that their aerodynamicists, if they have any, don't quite get it.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    just tossed em in the dumpster....I thought it felt like they were slowing me down!

thank MMsRepBike !!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012

Bontrager is approaching the problem backwards, from the wrong side of the wheel, the leading edge. Zipp is neutral, they treat both sides as if they're the same. Knight is approaching the problem from the trailing edge, the correct edge. Backwards from what Bontrager is doing.

The wheels are built really well and the company has good intentions, it's just that their aerodynamicists, if they have any, don't quite get it.
    In that video the Knights look identical to the Bontragers....

RoadBikeReview Member

That link is to a competitive site. The engineer for a competing wheel brand is explaining why the Zipps and Bontragers are wrong and theirs (Knight?) is right. But all the reviews - and wind tunnel data shows the Bontrager doing very well in the tunnel - and even better in the "real world."

I'm not an engineer, so it's tough to argue with that guy in the video... but, I wouldn't go to Ford for their opinion on the Camaro either.
    Last edited by OldZaskar; 03-15-2017 at 05:09 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    That link is to a competitive site. The engineer for a competing wheel brand is explaining why the Zipps and Bontragers are wrong and theirs (Knight?) is right. But all the reviews - and wind tunnel data shows the Bontrager doing very well in the tunnel - and even better in the "real world."

I'm not an engineer, so it's tough to argue with that guy in the video... but, I wouldn't to to Ford for their opinion on the Camaro either.
    I thought he was going to show a video of an independent 3rd party testing and concluding the results..... Nope! It was the wheel manufacturer themselves.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Bontrager Aeolus 3s that are tubeless ready. My question is should I set them up with some tubeless tires or some sweet non tubeless tires and run latex tubes??
    Sweet/latex for sure. And set the psi to what you like best. I am of the lower-pressure school. Even better, put a few hundred miles on to wear them in a bit before the big ride.

flinty-eyed moderator
    lol all those wind tunnel tests invalidated by a marketing Youtube. . .
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast