Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Bike in back of hatchback for moving 2000 miles?

I'm moving towing my Subaru hatchback on a car carrier behind a 16' moving truck. I do have a bike rack for the hatch but I'll probably be driving through some rainy weather and getting the bicycle all wet and muddy doesn't appeal to me. Could I lay down the rear seats, take off the front wheel,and just lay the bike down in the trunk cushioned with a blanket or two? The car has got enough clearance.

Putting the bicycle in the truck does not seem like a good idea unless I pack it in a box, and for that I would have to probably buy the box, hire the LBS to pack it. All which is about 70 miles round trip and figure about $50-70 not including gas and time back and forth. I'm busy enough packing as is.

Any negatives to this approach I've neglected to consider, or things I can do to protect the bike?

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I don't see a problem. Ive carried bikes around in backs of cars (including a Suby) all the time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No negatives. Preferred over external rack anytime. Just make sure the bike isn't rubbing up against anything. Cover the greasy drivetrain with a old sheet, towel, or large garbage bag.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    What negatives could there possibly be in doing this? I transport my bike in a smaller hatchback than this all the time. Remove front wheel and put it in a safe place. Just be sure to place the bike drivetrain side up so derailleur doesn't get bent. You may want to cover it with a tarp just to keep it out of sight-out of mind to would-be thieves.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    rear derailier up!
    BANNED

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    rear derailier up!
    Or just use the rack. It is a bicycle, not a newspaper.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Road Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    No negatives. Preferred over external rack anytime. Just make sure the bike isn't rubbing up against anything. Cover the greasy drivetrain with a old sheet, towel, or large garbage bag.
    I use the 55 gal 3m garbage bags to cover the back end of the bike to the crankset and place the derailuer on top,, no worries..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    You are aware of course, that as a full time AWD vehicle a Subaru cannot be towed on 2 wheels, Needs a flatbed trailer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cow Disease View Post
    Could I lay down the rear seats, take off the front wheel,and just lay the bike down in the trunk cushioned with a blanket or two? The car has got enough clearance.
    You own the car and bike. What are you asking us that wouldn't be made perfectly clear by taking 30 seconds to try it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just make sure the bike is wearing it's seatbelt and everything should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone 5200 View Post
    Just make sure the bike is wearing it's seatbelt and everything should be fine.
    Come on now... its a bike. It should be wearing a helmet!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    change out the tubes when you arrive at your destination and all should be fine.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    You are aware of course, that as a full time AWD vehicle a Subaru cannot be towed on 2 wheels, Needs a flatbed trailer.
    Yes, very important. You will destroy your transmission (or more likely the viscous couplings to the rear wheels) if you try to pull it with a 2 wheel dolly.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    What negatives could there possibly be in doing this?
    just this:

cover it with a tarp ... out of sight-out of ... thieves.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    This is true. An full time AWD vehicle (all Subarus) must be towed on a flatbed. Towing on two wheels will wreck the transfer case and viscous coupler.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    If its a carbon bike just make sure it doesn't get too hot in the car. Everyone knows that carbon bikes are known to assplode in hot cars.
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This is true. An full time AWD vehicle (all Subarus) must be towed on a flatbed. Towing on two wheels will wreck the transfer case and viscous coupler.
    I know this is off-topic, can you remove the driveshaft from front to rear and tow on a dolly?

If you don't want to tow it with a flat bed, you can tow it all 4 on the ground so that all wheels are spinning at the same rate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jason124 View Post
    I know this is off-topic, can you remove the driveshaft from front to rear and tow on a dolly?

If you don't want to tow it with a flat bed, you can tow it all 4 on the ground so that all wheels are spinning at the same rate.
    Of course you can. But with today's awd system, it'll likely be much more involved in decoupling the drivetrain. Towing on all four can introduce tracking issues if vehicle's frontend is out of alignment, but I suspect getting this verified won't be high on one's moving to do list.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    two wheel dolly is cheaper but flatbed is really not that much more difficult, and in my opinion is easier to maneuver.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I remember years ago when someone posted a thread asking where he could find a suitable cardboard box to use to ship a fork for warranty work.

Next to that thread, this "can I put my bike in my car" thread is, well, I guess I shouldn't say.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I didn't see that one, but between this one and the 'changing tubes' one, it is very exciting reading!~
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Decrease the air pressure in your tires to keep them from exploding in a hot car in the summer heat (voice of experience).
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4slomo View Post
    Decrease the air pressure in your tires to keep them from exploding in a hot car in the summer heat (voice of experience).
    This.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    This is as note a "ghost post".

The OP posted, possibly saw the reply's, got what info. he/she needed and is gone with no follow up, thank you, etc..

Bye !.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    change out the tubes when you arrive at your destination and all should be fine.
    No need to change the tube, just the air in them
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast