Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    is riding in MOPP4
    Well, in that case...go with the 56.
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charliethetuna View Post
    this bike will pretty much be my "everything" bike. the trouble with a LBS is this is a very specialized bike. it's a steel single speed wide tire bike. the only other one I could find is the steamroller. chain reaction cycles has a really nice bike but out of my price range. I've bought 2 other bikes from bikesdirect and have been very happy. i'm pretty good at self fitting. I've done a lot of research and know what to do and what to look for. as of now I cant seem to find a bike that fit my criteria.

Not to judge, but may I ask why you want a fixie rather than a bike with gears?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    With some shops, yes. With other shops, even if "reputable," not so much. Looks like it's all moot for now--the bike he wants is sold out in all colors and sizes. Mike Spratt writes "More in November."
    I agree but at least he can test ride at a shop and weed out really bad mistakes by feel.

I just don't picture something called a "track bike" being a good choice for a 300 pound guy without much riding experience.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I just don't picture something called a "track bike" being a good choice for a 300 pound guy without much riding experience.
    Well, lots of these Bikes Direct "track" bike purchases are driven more by style than cold logic...
    Last edited by wim; 03-13-2017 at 10:43 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Check Nashbar. They have a single speed steel cross bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    not a fixie but a single speed. I don't really feel like I need gears. my terrain is totally flat and I feel it's more "pure" riding a single speed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    not a fixie but a single speed. I don't really feel like I need gears. my terrain is totally flat and I feel it's more "pure" riding a single speed.
    I'm not sure what the difference between a fixie and a single speed is. Aren't they the same? A track bike is different as it doesn't have brakes. A fixie does.

But hey, whatever it takes to keep your interest in riding is what's important.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I'm not sure what the difference between a fixie and a single speed is. Aren't they the same? A track bike is different as it doesn't have brakes.
    a track bike is a fixed gear bike. it doesn't freewheel. you can drill the fork and install a rim brake.

a fixed gear bike usually is setup with a single "speed" or gear.

unlike a fixed gear bike, "a single speed" bike usually freewheels so you can coast without pedaling. a brake or brakes are required with a bike that freewheels.

many single speed bikes are setup with flip/flop rear hubs with a fixed cog on one side and a freewheel cog on the other.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    a track bike is a fixed gear bike. it doesn't freewheel. you can drill the fork and install a rim brake.

a fixed gear bike usually is setup with a single "speed" or gear.

unlike a fixed gear bike, "a single speed" bike usually freewheels so you can coast without pedaling. a brake or brakes are required with a bike that freewheels.

many single speed bikes are setup with flip/flop rear hubs with a fixed cog on one side and a freewheel cog on the other.

Oh OK. So a fixie is a track bike - no freewheel, no brakes. Got it!

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    There's more to a track bike than having a fixed gear. They handle as someone racing, you guessed it, track, would want. Which is generally quite a bit different than what a 300 pounder starting out would be best off with.

that being said I'm not sure if what you're looking at is really a track bike or just marketed as being one for the hipster market.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12