Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

bike frame size......

so now that i'm ready to pull the trigger on a bike, I find they are out of my size. I was looking at the mercier kilo wt from bikesdirect.com. it's a wide tire, cro mo single speed. I was looking for the 53cm. i'm 5'10" but my legs are on the short side. they have the bike in 56cm and that's just the slightest bit on the tall side for me. I had my heart set on this bike and nobody has anything even remotely similar. what would you do??? HELP?!?!?

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Sorry, Charlie...

couldn't resist
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

The Slow One.
    Ask them when the next shipment is.

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    BD -- wait a week for next shipment, don't be color specific. Or, a new model in 2 months with similar specs. If you know your fit, stick with it; especially on a frame that has many comparable competitors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    unfortunately this bike has no competition. only thing I can find that comes close is the steamroller, which will handle a smaller tire and the frameset is almost as much as the kilo. I hope they're getting more in but in my limited experience with bikesdirect, when it's out it's out. in terms of fit, this willo be my second road bike. my first was a 56cm that I couldn't ride because it had tiny little tires and I weigh almost 300 pounds. this is why I need the larger tires.

What the what???
    As a fellow Clyde, I generally like my frames a little bigger. Too small and I feel like I'm all over the bike. I'd say get the 56. You can swap a 0 setback seat post and a shorter stem if necessary.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

a real member's member
    you can buy a vintage, lugged chromoly bike and convert it to single speed for the same cost, and then have something nicer and more interesting now and more valuable years from now.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

banned
    Feb 2017
    I would say get the 56cm and be done with it. If that isn't going to work for you the only other option is one of these.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fit is the most important thing. IMO, I would NEVER buy a bike that doesn't quite fit and try to make it fit.

If it doesn't fit, you musta quit.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by charliethetuna View Post
    i'm 5'10" but my legs are on the short side. they have the bike in 56cm and that's just the slightest bit on the tall side for me.
    What makes you think the 56 cm is "the slightest bit on the tall side" for you? The 53 cm has a 547 mm effective top tube. For most people 5'10" tall, that would be too short. Bikes have to fit in the horizontal dimension as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    well, I had a dawes sst which had the slight compact style top tube and when standing over the bike it was pretty much up there. I didn't stand on my toes or anything but I would hate to hop off the thing during a quick stop and jam my balls on the top tube. I think i'm gonna pull the trigger on the taller bike. I believe it will give me a more relaxed fit, which as a larger rider I think would be better for me.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I didn't stand on my toes or anything but I would hate to hop off the thing during a quick stop and jam my balls on the top tube.
    Very few people hop or come off a bike so that both feet hit the ground simultaneously. The ones that do are usually in their first week of learning how to ride a bike. I'm 5'10 with relatively short legs (82 cm floor-to-crotch), the top tubes of all my horizontal-top tube bikes have all contacted my balls with both feet flat on the ground, and I've never suffered from this in decades of riding. Don't size a bike by standover, it's a bogus concern.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    I'm 5'10 with relatively short legs (82 cm floor-to-crotch)
    32.2" for 5'-10" height is about average leg length.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    32.2" for 5'-10" height is about average leg length.
    That's what I was thinking. I have the same dimensions and I've never mashed the twins on the top tube of a 56cm frame - not even the one bike I have with a horizontal top tube.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I have the same dimensions and I've never mashed the twins on the top tube of a 56cm frame - not even the one bike I have with a horizontal top tube.
    56cm frame w/ horizontal TT?
    Were you wearing these by any chance?
    bike frame size......-2015-ladies-creepers-platform-shoes-vintage-lace-up-flat-shoes-women-casual-solid-creeper-shoes.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    56cm frame w/ horizontal TT?
    Were you wearing these by any chance?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-Ladies-Creepers-Platform-Shoes-Vintage-Lace-up-Flat-Shoes-Women-Casual-Solid-Creeper-Shoes.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	318285
    LOL! Good one! Answer: No.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    see, i'm not quite sure how to measure my standover. I stood against a wall and put an angle between my legs and flat on the wall. but i'm not sure whether I should just put the horizontal of the angle kind of casually up to my nuts or if I should jam it up there, so I came up with a couple different measurements. in any case I think the 56cm is gonna work out for me. I've been doing this for a while and I know how to ride a bike. just that this will be my first "real" road bike. I've always ridden mtn bikes and I know how they should fit me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

a real member's member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-Ladies-Creepers-Platform-Shoes-Vintage-Lace-up-Flat-Shoes-Women-Casual-Solid-Creeper-Shoes.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	318285
    if i'm not mistaken, the monster wore these same cycling shoes at the '39 Transylvania 100 in that historic win.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    ... i'm not sure whether I should just put the horizontal of the angle kind of casually up to my nuts or if I should jam it up there, so I came up with a couple different measurements.
    If the angle you used was a thin piece of steel (like a carpenter's square), your reading may be off quite a bit. Use something that's about one inch wide, like the spine of a book large enough to reach the wall behind you.

Move your package out of the way and bring whatever you use up hard enough where it will approximate the pressure of a saddle at low speeds or while coasting. That's quite a bit--you should feel contact with the pubic bone. "Cram" is the word here.

You getting different measurements is normal. Depending on thickness of the horizontal up against you and your accuracy in squaring up the angle or book, that measurement can be 3 or more centimeters off. To get a good reading, do the procedure three or four times and use the average from those readings.
    Last edited by wim; 03-12-2017 at 03:44 AM.

is riding in MOPP4
    I don't feel good about this purchase charlie. I think you would be better off going to a reputable LBS. You will likely pay more, but you will end up with a bike that actually fits well.
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachycardic View Post
    You will likely pay more, but you will end up with a bike that actually fits well.
    With some shops, yes. With other shops, even if "reputable," not so much. Looks like it's all moot for now--the bike he wants is sold out in all colors and sizes. Mike Spratt writes "More in November."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    You should buy a bike that fits when you are on the bike riding it. Not when you are off the bike standing over the top of it, standing next to it, or standing across the room from it.

For you, buying a bike online seems like a really bad idea. You don't actually know what fits.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I don't know, a serious fitting seems like a lot of thought, time and money invested for a $450 Bikes Direct "Track" bike that most likely won't see long rides, or, in spite of its description, track use. It's just a fixie. The 56 cm would have worked fine for him, IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    this bike will pretty much be my "everything" bike. the trouble with a LBS is this is a very specialized bike. it's a steel single speed wide tire bike. the only other one I could find is the steamroller. chain reaction cycles has a really nice bike but out of my price range. I've bought 2 other bikes from bikesdirect and have been very happy. i'm pretty good at self fitting. I've done a lot of research and know what to do and what to look for. as of now I cant seem to find a bike that fit my criteria.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast