Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Neophyte
    Keep in mind you're not using GLONASS instead of GPS, you are using them together. That is the real advantage... you are getting 55+ satellites rather than 30. So many more angles covered.

Tool around on dc rainmaker and I think you can find a comparison on there of the same route with and without GLONASS, maybe it's a different site but once you start adding vertical blockers like buildings in urban areas or trees/canyons, it really makes a difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Keep in mind you're not using GLONASS instead of GPS, you are using them together. That is the real advantage... you are getting 55+ satellites rather than 30. So many more angles covered.

Tool around on dc rainmaker and I think you can find a comparison on there of the same route with and without GLONASS, maybe it's a different site but once you start adding vertical blockers like buildings in urban areas or trees/canyons, it really makes a difference.

Only 24 Sats are in operation at any one point in time, the others are backups (this is for GPS, I'm not sure if the same holds true for GLONASS). I am however not sure the max number of sats the Garmin (or any other unit) will lock onto simultaneously.

Otherwise yes, you are correct, the unit will use whichever it can lock onto from either system at the same time. This does work for urban areas, but if you are under heavy tree canopy, there is nothing any sat systems can do regardless of the orbit or location in orbit of the sats.

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
    I've read a lot of accuracy issues with both gps and elevation on the 520. Has this been sorted out?
    I don't think these claims are really valid, at least in some time. They're up to like version 11.0 in firmware. The only real elevation issues happen in rainy weather if water fills up the barometric pressure sensor hole. This does happen from time to time.

I've had 1-2 GPS glitches ever, I think usually due to things like messing with Varia radar and other things related to messing with screens instead of just riding... if you keep it simple and just let the thing run it doesn't really mess up.

Going on ~18 months on the device and it's still to me the most impressive bike-related purchase I've ever made. I don't ride as much as I'd like anymore, but about 2500 miles and 180 hours on the device.
    Last edited by jetdog9; 03-08-2017 at 01:08 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    You can get a edge 520 for about $220 shipped from a U.K. Website. Evanscycles.com. This is for the gps unit only version.
    I bought mine from there last summer and it arrived in California in less than one week as I recall

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a Lezyne Super GPS (first Generation) that I bought last year. I was kind of in the same situation as the OP, needed a new computer but didn't really want to spend a lot. So it's functions/features and price appealed to me, plus I like all the other Lezyne stuff I have. But I would categorize the first generation Super GPS as just ok, have not used the new one yet so I don't know if it is any different. I also have a Wahoo RFLCT+ and in my opinion it is a better unit. The reason I needed another computer is I started doing Triathlons and phones aren't/weren't allowed on the course and since the RFLCT uses you smart phone as the brains I wasn't able to use it.

My issues with the Lezyne are/were, accuracy issues. I don't think those issues were with the GPS function as much as I think the computer lets the Speed/Cadence sensor over ride the GPS readings and that's where the inaccuracy happens. Once the ride has been uploaded to Strava the distance gets corrected by Strava, so that's what makes me think it's not the GPS sensors. I have been in contact with Lezyne's tech support, (which is almost nonexistent) a few times and their solution for any problem is do a factory reset which I have found can cause more issues. There have been a few times were I have had to do the reset multiple times just to get the unit to function. Once it is reset you then have to use the cumbersome menu system on the computer to set everything back up. I have found a "work around" for the accuracy issues and that is tell the GPS my tire size is much different than it is.

Which brings me to my next issue, I can't keep it connected to my iPhone so the incoming messages function doesn't work. That part is fine as I don't usually like that feature anyway but part of the iPhone connection is the upload to Strava and since I don't trust the finished ride report the computer gives me, (because of the previous inaccuracies), I like to upload it to Strava when done.

The last thing that bugs me is there is no way to have multiple bike profiles. So if you want 1 computer to use between different bikes the Lezyne's not for you.

I started to second guess my purchase of the Lezyne shortly after I got it, I should have just gone for my first choice of the Wahoo Element. I have had great results with my RFLCT+ and any issues I did have were acknowledged right away by Wahoo's Tech Support. There were a couple of times they even said we are working on the fix but it is not done yet so do this... as a temporary work around.

Now I have not tried the new Lezyne computers so some of the issues may have been fixed but don't expect much help from them if you have issues.

SS
    My quest for 140.6 and passion for all things cycling https://multisportunleashed.blogspot.com/

2015 Felt AR3 upgraded to Ultegra 6870 Di2
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Apex -Just about how I want it
    2005 Iron Horse MK3 Expert - many years of trail duty and still my go to Mt. Bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    GLONASS provides additional accuracy, but the difference is minimal. I have the 810 and love it. The new 520 has most of the same features. I have no experience with the others. The only thing I hate about the Garmins, the chest strap heart monitor.
    The nice thing about ANT+/Bluetooth is anything that has that/those standards should work. Which means if you don't like the Garmin HRM, you can get an optical wrist one like this:

Scosche Rhythm+ HRM

This also means that the DuoTrap S sensor should also work with any ANT+ capable computer.

Here's the hodge podge of gadgetry I have on my various bikes:

Speed/Cadence - Motorola unit designed for the motoACTV (ANT+)
    Heart rate - Scosche Rhythm+ (Bluetooth)
    Primary computer - Cateye Stealth 50 CC-GL50
    Secondary computer - Bontrager trip 300
    Tertiary computer - motoACTV

I have 2 of the speed/cadence sensors on my bikes but plan on swapping to a Garmin magnetless unit on one of my bikes. Another neat feature I learned about ANT+ is the sender units (speed/cadence, HRM) broadcasts its signal, so you can have multiple computers on one bike, or bike and phone, receive data at the same time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Rumor is that Wahoo will be releasing a 'mini' version of the Elemnt soon - not sure what the price point will be. I have the original Elemnt - it's up there in price, but it's a really nice unit. It's bulk is the main complaint most people have - so the mini version might be worth looking into. In my opinion, the Elemnt has the easiest to read screen in the business - all light conditions - it's not touch screen (a good thing) and it's not color (another good thing). I've run mine for 12 hour rides with no issues.
    Just got an email from them about a "big announcement" scheduled for the 14th.

JTO
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    I've used several computers and I have to say, The Wahoo ELEMNT is worth the cost. It would literally cost Garmin about $0.05 more per unit to have a more accurate GPS antenna, but they insist on using the cheapest one on the market (yes, I'm the kind of nerd who builds stuff like this). It ain't cheap, but the ELEMNT uses much higher quality components, so instead of paying $300 for $15 worth of the cheapest components possible, you'll pay $330 for $30 worth of very high-performing components.
    - The ELEMNT screen has a higher contrast ratio, so while you don't get color (gimmick) or touch screen (dubious value), you get a large, very easy-to-read display. Still can't read the display? Just hit the arrow button and you'll get much larger fields and fonts. I didn't realise the utility of this until I was several hours into a grueling race, where my glasses were wet and the light was failing.
    - Battery life isn't as good. I still can't figure out how they got the 17 hour estimate, but I've been able to eek 13 hours out of mine by turning off WiFi, Strava, and live tracks. Though ANT+ uses less power, you can't turn off Bluetooth.
    - Navigation is amazing. Amazing. It has the stuff you'd get in an 800-series Garmin (bread crumbs, base maps, re-routing, route building, etc.), but the turn-by-turn, the thing you'll use most, is better. The LEDs tell you of upcoming turns, if you missed a turn, and can prompt you to re-route back to your track.
    - Smartphone integration is a double-edged sword. If you hate using your phone to do things, well, you're out of luck. Most of the programming has to be done through a phone. However, using the phone is way easier than trying to program through Garmin's interface. Again, like the high-end Garmins, you get call and text notifications, live tracking, Strava stroking, etc. Plus, you can get weather alerts (a feature I unfortunately use a lot). When I get home, my ELEMNT auto-uploads everything for analysis, which is convenient.
    - Bike mounts, like Garmin, are terrible. Maybe not terrible, but just do yourself a favor and shell out the cash for a K-Edge mount.

If you need to pick from your list, though, just go for the Edge 25. The only integrated barometer I've ever used that's been close to accurate is on Suunto. Everything else is a waste. GPS altimeters are actually more accurate. Just keep in mind that they'll be 10-15% optimistic on your elevation gain/loss.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    See the other thread discussing the release of the Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt - similar size/weight to the Edge 520, better battery life and cost is similar (maybe less?).

Here is DC Rainmakers glowing review
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/...th-review.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    After seeing the Bolt this morning, (the web release anyway) I am seriously going to try and sell my Lezyne Super GPS to pick one of these up.

SS-
    My quest for 140.6 and passion for all things cycling https://multisportunleashed.blogspot.com/

2015 Felt AR3 upgraded to Ultegra 6870 Di2
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Apex -Just about how I want it
    2005 Iron Horse MK3 Expert - many years of trail duty and still my go to Mt. Bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    I had the edge 500 and it lasted a little over 2 years before it broke. I felt like the value was poor so I am just using an Android app. I would have the phone with me anyways. I carry the phone in my jersey pocket but sometimes I will look at the ride after I upload if I feel like it. No gadgets on the handlebars basically.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    I'd agree with a previous poster and get a 500. They're going very cheap here now in the UK, presumably the US too. They're llike the Nokia 3310 of bike computers - sure, they don't have a colour screen and other fancies. But they work. Fantastic battery life too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is GLONASS worth it? It really depends where you ride. I noticed that signal acquisition is faster with this On (Edge 1000), but I ultimately turned it off as it just eats up the battery faster and isn't really a factor as i have strong GPS where i ride.

I suppose things would be different if you where riding has weak GPS which could be boosted by another positioning system.
    check my review page below!

www.roadiemanila.bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Elemnt Bolt: $249

I just bought a Bolt. It arrived Friday, set it up in about 10 min. Rode Sunday. I am loving this thing. I switched from a Garmin 510 that died - touch screen stopped working, which renders it a brick. Garmin said they'd fix it for $89 + shipping. Nope.

The Elemnt Bolt is an awesome computer on its own. But, the app makes it awesomer - managing the computer, e.g. pages, data fields, uploading routes, reviewing ride data - all on the phone via the app... very cool. I'm sold.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I have a Garmin 500 that has been losing the old style speed/cadence sensor since pairing a Stages PM with it. I changed the battery on the speed/cadence sensor and still have trouble. I read that the 500 has trouble with multiple sensors--HR, speed/cadence, and PM.

The LBS says the new style Garmin speed sensor may not work with the 500. Does anyone know if this is true? He says he has an 800 (probably used/refurbished) for a good deal. Is it worth spending a few $ more for the 800 instead of a new speed sensor?
    My blog about bicycling: http://offthebackweb.wordpress.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Now a year into using a Bryton 310 with no issues at all-battery life is still very long as well.

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabondcyclist View Post
    I have a Garmin 500 that has been losing the old style speed/cadence sensor since pairing a Stages PM with it. I changed the battery on the speed/cadence sensor and still have trouble. I read that the 500 has trouble with multiple sensors--HR, speed/cadence, and PM.

The LBS says the new style Garmin speed sensor may not work with the 500. Does anyone know if this is true? He says he has an 800 (probably used/refurbished) for a good deal. Is it worth spending a few $ more for the 800 instead of a new speed sensor?
    800 is really old are you sure you don't mean 820? And if you don't like touchscreens, I would recommend the 520 over the 820.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I'll double check, but I think it's an 800 he has laying around. I'm wondering if it's about the same generation as the 500, won't it have the same issue with multiple ANT+ devices?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    It's a refurb 800 unit for $100. Not sure if it's worth it to get old tech or to spend a bit more and get the Lezyne Mini GPS HR or Micro Color--though I don't think the Lezyne app will work with my phone.

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabondcyclist View Post
    It's a refurb 800 unit for $100. Not sure if it's worth it to get old tech or to spend a bit more and get the Lezyne Mini GPS HR or Micro Color--though I don't think the Lezyne app will work with my phone.
    It's essentially just as old as your 500... you should probably go newer. Plenty of advances in last 7 years to justify.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    It's essentially just as old as your 500... you should probably go newer. Plenty of advances in last 7 years to justify.
    It appears to be the speed sensor that's bad. The light doesn't blink but the cadence light blinks when I reset and pass a magnet by. Thinking I'll just run speed off of GPS while I decide what to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12