Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016

Bike GPS Dilemma

Not sure where to post this as I didn't see a bike gps section. I'm torn. Quick background on myself. Somewhat new to road but have been a mtb'r for years. I do about 50/50 lately as i'm 39 and don't have the time for all out trail rides and its easier to leave the house on a road bike with a new baby in the house. I want a clean readout of the basics (speed, cadence, distance, HR, time) and accurate GPS and elevation.

I've been using my iPhones w/ Strava for a while now but looking for a good dedicated GPS unit as the iPhone 7 plus is just too big for the handlebars. Here's what I've narrowed down:

Edge 520- I want but the whole money thing.

Polar m450 -
    I love everything about it including cost and DC rainmaker recommends it in his "budget" category but it does not have GLONASS... is GLONASS worth it?

Edge 25 -
    It gets good reviews, but it seems the mtbr crowd hates it since it doesn't do 1 second recording. Also doesn't have a barometer. If not for those things I would buy this one for size and cost.

Lezyne Super GPS-I was about to buy this as it seems to have it all, but under their support list for Ant+/BT it doesn't mention my speed / cadence sensor which is a Bontrager Duotrap.

Bryton 310 or 330 -
    The 310 gets good reviews but one really bad singletracks review on the 330 turned me off. I see some use it so if it is actually accurate this might be an option.

Anyways, thats all I got. I'm getting flustered with the options as the only one that seems to have it all is the 520, but the cost is hard to swallow. Any insights or help appreciated!
    Last edited by ejewels; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:52 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Consider the Wahoo Elemnt as well. Setup through the app is super easy, as well as uploading/downloading rides or routes. I love mine. Price is probably comparable to 520, but dealing with a small(er) company means they are much more responsive to issues. Updates (for the good) seem to come once a month.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    GLONASS provides additional accuracy, but the difference is minimal. I have the 810 and love it. The new 520 has most of the same features. I have no experience with the others. The only thing I hate about the Garmins, the chest strap heart monitor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    I actually did consider the Elemnt, but the price turns me off. If I can keep it under 180 I'd be happy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    GLONASS provides additional accuracy, but the difference is minimal. I have the 810 and love it. The new 520 has most of the same features. I have no experience with the others. The only thing I hate about the Garmins, the chest strap heart monitor.
    The question is, is it worth it? If I didn't mtb I'd probably be less concerned but from what i understand mtb and technical trails can really throw a GPS off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    I use an older Garmin Edge 705. Very good display, easy to use buttons, durable (it's taken a fall or ten on my MTBs without issue), solid mounting system, lots of features. If you can find one used (~$100), I'd recommend it.

I'm not sure how important it is to you, but I like the map function that shows where you started/have been/currently are. It's nice when you get a bit lost, or just to make sure you are where you think you are. It's reassuring when you're on a new trail without a light and the sun is going down, that's for sure.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2008/12/...05-review.html

If you want something newer, maybe look into refurbs:
    Fitness - For Cyclists (Bikers)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Rumor is that Wahoo will be releasing a 'mini' version of the Elemnt soon - not sure what the price point will be. I have the original Elemnt - it's up there in price, but it's a really nice unit. It's bulk is the main complaint most people have - so the mini version might be worth looking into. In my opinion, the Elemnt has the easiest to read screen in the business - all light conditions - it's not touch screen (a good thing) and it's not color (another good thing). I've run mine for 12 hour rides with no issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
    The question is, is it worth it? If I didn't mtb I'd probably be less concerned but from what i understand mtb and technical trails can really throw a GPS off.

You are getting a signal from space, so regardless of GPS system, when you are in the mountains under tree cover, you will have signal issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Interesting to know that. I might just get a Bontrager trip 300 or cheap cat eye to display stats (while running strava on the phone) and then wait until that comes out.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I went through this process last year, with exactly the same set of requirements.

I ended up with the Wahoo REFLKT+, which "reflects" the information being recorded in an app. The choice was a mistake. I won't bore you with the details; I don't think this product is in current production. I will say that Wahoo as a company leaves me unimpressed. Documentation sucks. Their web site has minimal information. They've done app upadates that have broken things badly. Support staff was responsive when I submitted a query, but having been in product development for many years I know that bad coding + bad documentation = failed endeavor, even with good support.

Road & Trail Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    I use an older Garmin Edge 705. Very good display, easy to use buttons, durable (it's taken a fall or ten on my MTBs without issue), solid mounting system, lots of features. If you can find one used (~$100), I'd recommend it.

I'm not sure how important it is to you, but I like the map function that shows where you started/have been/currently are. It's nice when you get a bit lost, or just to make sure you are where you think you are. It's reassuring when you're on a new trail without a light and the sun is going down, that's for sure.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2008/12/...05-review.html

If you want something newer, maybe look into refurbs:
    Fitness - For Cyclists (Bikers)
    I love my 705. I purchased it used about 3 years ago and still works great.
    It does everything, it's just a little bigger and less fancy as the new ones.
    I switch it back and forth from my road bike to my MTB with no problem.

I've always wondered though... On trails, if you added a Garmin wheel sensor, if it would improve accuracy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    I have the LEzyne enhanced super gps. I'd recommend it for your uses. The navigation is a bit fiddly and doesn't work that well. But the things that matter are great. It will work with the duotrap. THey don't list all the sensors. I've successfully paired a bunch of stuff to it, and it's dual bluetooth/ant+.

I had a Bryton; it was pretty difficult to use and lost rides periodically.
    I'm a runner but sometimes I bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by marathonrunner View Post
    I have the LEzyne enhanced super gps. I'd recommend it for your uses. The navigation is a bit fiddly and doesn't work that well. But the things that matter are great. It will work with the duotrap. THey don't list all the sensors. I've successfully paired a bunch of stuff to it, and it's dual bluetooth/ant+.

I had a Bryton; it was pretty difficult to use and lost rides periodically.
    I have the regular BT/Ant+ duotrap (not the S) in my domane '17. Can you confirm that model will work? If so I might get it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    ANT+ is a specification, so any ANT+ sensor should work with any unit that talks ANT+ (I said should, because sometimes **** just does not work).... Granted, it is a Garmin owned spec, but you should be fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    The duotrap is also Bluetooth, so hopefully that works if ant+ doesn't.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have you considered a garmin 500? Can be found if you look for around 200 or refurbished for cheaper. I love mine, does all I need and more, many people have tried the 520 and gone back to a 500
    Cook

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    If I can get the Lezyne to work, after reading reviews and its updated tech over the garmin 500 (and cheaper) I may just go with that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2016
    The Garmin 25 is hamstrung by the screen size, a max of 3 display fields and no power info.
    Also the aforementioned smart recording.
    HRM is a separate page and not a selectable data field on the main screen.
    Although there is a hack available to enable this and my 2 main screens have Time, Cad, HRM and Time, Spd, HRM.
    I use it as a head unit for information while I'm riding.
    For mtb and road racing, it's almost my perfect gps.

Otherwise I use an 810 for more information and some mapping but no GLONASS and an Oregon 690 for some information and really good mapping.

All Ant+ compatible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    I went through this process last year, with exactly the same set of requirements.

I ended up with the Wahoo REFLKT+, which "reflects" the information being recorded in an app. The choice was a mistake. I won't bore you with the details; I don't think this product is in current production. I will say that Wahoo as a company leaves me unimpressed. Documentation sucks. Their web site has minimal information. They've done app upadates that have broken things badly. Support staff was responsive when I submitted a query, but having been in product development for many years I know that bad coding + bad documentation = failed endeavor, even with good support.
    I thought to suggest this as well, but I don't see it for sale on Wahoo's site anymore.

Are they still making them?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Neophyte
    I don't know anybody who's gone from the 500 to 520 and back. The 520 is actually great bang for buck especially since it periodically goes on sale.

Difference between having GLONASS and not having it is NOT minimal if you ride anywhere where there are canyons or a lot of tree cover. There are a couple routes my 500 was always inaccurate on that my 520 is dead on with.

Of all the cycling products I've ever used, the 520 is probably the one I would suggest most to others compared to all the different options available.

Also, a ton of features in the 520 I thought I'd never care for have turned out to be personally useful... never thought I'd care for routes/maps and thought the screen would be too small, but I actually use it all the time to stay on planned routes that I upload to the device. And the elevation profile screen is more useful than I thought it'd be as well.

EDIT: Can't stress enough how much better GLONASS is for accuracy. Your OP says you also MTB... if you plan to use the GPS for that as well, definitely get GLONASS device.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcookie View Post
    Have you considered a garmin 500? Can be found if you look for around 200 or refurbished for cheaper. I love mine, does all I need and more, many people have tried the 520 and gone back to a 500
    500's are great until you get under heavy tree cover then they can be quite hit and miss for tracking. If not using Strava than won't really miss it as much, but since moving from a 500 to a 510 with GLONASS I don't think I've ever missed a segment. (Which is unfortunate as many Strava KOM's are down to bad GPS readings, and mine is always accurate).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    I've read a lot of accuracy issues with both gps and elevation on the 520. Has this been sorted out?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    I don't know anybody who's gone from the 500 to 520 and back. The 520 is actually great bang for buck especially since it periodically goes on sale.

Difference between having GLONASS and not having it is NOT minimal if you ride anywhere where there are canyons or a lot of tree cover. There are a couple routes my 500 was always inaccurate on that my 520 is dead on with.

Of all the cycling products I've ever used, the 520 is probably the one I would suggest most to others compared to all the different options available.

Also, a ton of features in the 520 I thought I'd never care for have turned out to be personally useful... never thought I'd care for routes/maps and thought the screen would be too small, but I actually use it all the time to stay on planned routes that I upload to the device. And the elevation profile screen is more useful than I thought it'd be as well.

EDIT: Can't stress enough how much better GLONASS is for accuracy. Your OP says you also MTB... if you plan to use the GPS for that as well, definitely get GLONASS device.

now that i think about it, it was the 510 that everyone was switching back from wasn't it?

my point stands though that i've been very happy with my 500. when i smashed it in my tailgate a year ago it was a perfect excuse to upgrade but i opted to just get another 500.
    Re: GLONASS, i should mention that i live in western Colorado so pretty rare to be under a tree but i guess i have had a few issues with coverage when cycling in other parts of the country. Not sure how more satellites can help though; if you can't see the sky, you can't see the sky. Can someone explain why GLONASS is better in this situation? i'd love to be convinced.
    Cook

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
    I have the regular BT/Ant+ duotrap (not the S) in my domane '17. Can you confirm that model will work? If so I might get it.
    The Lezyne website only lists the devices Lezyne has tested, which is not a lot. The Bontrager duotrap is on there.

http://www.lezyne.com/downloads/Powe...patibility.pdf
    I use a 4iii precision power meter, which is not on the list, and it works fine over bluetooth. I also have chinese generic ant+ speed and cadence sensors on all my bikes, and they all work. Chips in the duotrap and duotrap s would be the same, I would think. I have tested three bluetooth HR monitors and they all worked as well.

I actually bought my lezyne from REI so if it didn't work with the 4iii I could return it easily. Needless to say I never returned it.
    I'm a runner but sometimes I bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcookie View Post
    Re: GLONASS, i should mention that i live in western Colorado so pretty rare to be under a tree but i guess i have had a few issues with coverage when cycling in other parts of the country. Not sure how more satellites can help though; if you can't see the sky, you can't see the sky. Can someone explain why GLONASS is better in this situation? i'd love to be convinced.
    It's not.

GLONASS operates at a higher orbit than GPS ones do. This gives slightly better accuracy at the extreme polar ends of the world. It also does mean that you may have better line of site to the sats in mountainous regions. That is about the only advantage. Tree cover, or anything else blocking line of site to enough sats will cause problems, regardless of which system you are using. For accuracy within heavy cover, you need land based augmentation. WAAS used to be one of them, and there are bunch of new land based augmentation specs out there as well, but they are primarily used by aviation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast