RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Bike path, lane and route

What the difference between Bike Path (Class I), Bike Lane (Class II) and Bike Route (Class III)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jett
    What the difference between Bike Path (Class I), Bike Lane (Class II) and Bike Route (Class III)?
    A path is a dedicated travelway completely separate from other streets and roads.
    A bike lane is a marked lane for bicycles on a street or road
    A route is just a suggested street, road or system of streets or roads, which presumably were chosen as being safer for cyclists. Routes can be within a city or intercity.

Say "nuke-u-lar"
    I'd say it probably varies from state to state, but since you're here in California, check some of the DMV rules for a start. Basically as I understand it a bike path (separate from a road or highway) has legal protections against other non-specified users unless it is adjacent to a public road or highway, in which case it has much less protection. A bike lane offers more legal protection from autos than a bike path when both are adjacent to roads. A bike route is only a suggested route and has no particular legal protection. Try http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc_index_b.htm
    Suum quique.

Big is relative

Path

My commute out here in Oahu is partially on the Pearl Harbor bike path. The state laws here allow for pedestrian use of the path and that bikes must yield to pedestrians. The law also says that pedestrians/joggers must stay in single file to allow bikes to pass them. Most don't, thank god for disc brakes. The cyclist has the responsibility to alert the pedestrian. I have a loud bell since so many joggers and walkers wear headphones and would never hear me even if I yell. I ride onto Pearl Harbor Naval Base and they have painted bike LANES on some roads, but only on one side. I was stopped by security for not using the bike path and I explained (calmly and rationally) that since it was part of the road, it was a lane and was designated for bike traffic going in the same direction as vehicular traffic. I think the base is re-evaluating their "bike path" strategy. The island is full of bike routes that will take you just about anywhere. One interesting phenomena here is how people will cut the steel posts that are installed at the entrances to bike paths so that they can drive their cars on the path. They mostly do this to go fishing. The best solution that I have seen is the city placing large 1000# concrete pillars in the center of the path. People will still hook up a chain and try to drag them out. People will park their cars on the path as well. The police drive right on by.