Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike rack rant

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012

Bike rack rant

So I'm trying to find a decent bike rack that will fit a Mazda 3 and a CX-9 so I can leave it on the car about town, but take it on the SUV for longer family trips. I ordered a Yakima MegaJoe Elite from Dicks Sporting goods. ($69 on sale!) I've been waiting all week for my order to arrive with mixed information online about whether or not it'll fit, then I open the packaging to see the CX-9 clearly listed as a "No Fit" vehicle.

And I was hoping to drive the bike to work and ride home tomorrow to start off the weekend. Grrrrrr!

So.... Anybody got an opinion on the Yakima King Joe vs. Saris Bones? Is looking like those two are my best options.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Put hitches on those bit-ches. Hitch racks rule! Pretty easy to install yourself. Checkout etrailer for hitches and racks.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    I've used the Saris Bones and also the Thule Raceway rear rack on a pretty wide range of vehicles.
    I am in the car business and switch between cars fairly often.
    You shouldn't have a problem mounting either one of these on your Mazdas.

P.S. The Thule has a locking features;
    one for the rack to the car
    and one for the bike in the last mounting position.

What did you say? Huh?
    This is one of those areas to go to a dedicated LBS and get input and order from and spend the extra coin. They make the systems damn complicated, and shopping yourself it is far too easy to skip something in compatibility that breaks the whole artifice.

OP, Id honestly would be surprised if you came on and said you got the same roof rack system to work on two different vehicles work with minimal problems/effort.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BBoneCloneMN View Post
    So I'm trying to find a decent bike rack that will fit a Mazda 3 and a CX-9 so I can leave it on the car about town, but take it on the SUV for longer family trips. I ordered a Yakima MegaJoe Elite from Dicks Sporting goods. ($69 on sale!) I've been waiting all week for my order to arrive with mixed information online about whether or not it'll fit, then I open the packaging to see the CX-9 clearly listed as a "No Fit" vehicle.

And I was hoping to drive the bike to work and ride home tomorrow to start off the weekend. Grrrrrr!

So.... Anybody got an opinion on the Yakima King Joe vs. Saris Bones? Is looking like those two are my best options.
    that's why you need to check the manufacturer's sites for compatibility prior to ordering. A little legwork up front prevents a hassle like you're experiencing.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Yup, hitch rack is the way to go. Easy to swap between vehicles.

I recently started using this rack and really like it. Only takes a min to load/unload. Holds bikes by the wheels. Folds up out of the way when not in use.
    Modular 2 4 Bike Carrier Tire Cradle Bicycle Rack 1 1 4" 2" Hitches BC 7621 | eBay

RoadBikeReview Member
    We used a hitch rack on our Honda Accord 2-door, and Kuat rack. The rack is very good quality, really easy to use, and includes a locking cable and even a maintenance stand attachment.

The locking cable wouldn't stop a serious thief, but it's more than sufficient for quick stops, etc..
    Bill

“You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing...We can make the best or the worst of it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    A hitch would be the best way to go, but you are looking at some coin to get 2 hitches plus a rack (~$500).

Why not keep the Thule on the 3 and put the bike in the back of the CX9? Unless you have car seats that cannot be easily moved, I bet you can fit a bike with the front wheel removed and one half of the back seats folded flat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    ^^^ what tednugent said

I'm guessing you went to the Yakima site and did the "fit my car" and realized the King Joe is the way to go for the CX9. Will Dick's exchange the MegaJoe for the KingJoe? Might be your easiest solution.

I'm with everyone on the hitch setup. Absolutely love my 1up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I put a hitch on my Mazda 3 and worked out great. I have had a Thule hitch rack and I just purchased a kuat rack which both worked awesome on both my Saab 9x7 and the Mazda

RoadBikeReview Member
    We bought a Mazda5, bikes fit in the back

In all honesty I've used the bones on my former Mazda3 sedan and had no issues. You just need to be careful because any trunk mounted rack will mar the paint surface if left on long enough...

Personally I am not a fan of any rack and feel much more secure with the bikes in the car. With our Mazda5 we can fit three bikes and 3 adults, with gear, without any issue...Now these are smaller sized bike (54 and down) and average sized adults.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a Saris Bones 2 for my Acura TL. It's a good rack, but if I had an SUV I would definitely go with a hitch mount rack. Simply more convenient.

What did you say? Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506 View Post
    We bought a Mazda5, bikes fit in the back

In all honesty I've used the bones on my former Mazda3 sedan and had no issues. You just need to be careful because any trunk mounted rack will mar the paint surface if left on long enough...

Personally I am not a fan of any rack and feel much more secure with the bikes in the car. With our Mazda5 we can fit three bikes and 3 adults, with gear, without any issue...Now these are smaller sized bike (54 and down) and average sized adults.
    I have a Thule rack system for the factory crossbars on my 02 Protege5 hatchback. Bikes go right up with no need to pull wheels, and keep room for 4 adults and luggage for light touring rides .
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    A friend had one of those trunk racks stolen off the back of her car. The thieves cut the straps and took the rack just before she got downstairs with her bike. It was filmed on the parking lot surveillance but it was too fast for security to do anything. The thieves really knew what they were doing. Is there a secure way to carry bikes on a corvette?

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy T View Post
    Is there a secure way to carry bikes on a corvette?
    As said by others, the only secure way to carry a bike or bikes is to carry them inside the car. What makes some people dismiss this notion immediately is the need to take one or both wheels out of the frame.

But it's not that big a deal if you know what you're doing. Most people are not good at it simply because they don't do it often enough. But if you remove and replace wheels every time you take your bike somewhere, you get very good at it and will be able to do it in an amazingly short time.

Not an anti-bike rack rant—just an alternative that, IMO, gets often turned down quickly for the wrong reasons. And I understand that this rarely works if you normally have your car full of people and luggage.
    Last edited by wim; 05-11-2013 at 08:02 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blitespeed View Post
    I've used the Saris Bones and also the Thule Raceway rear rack on a pretty wide range of vehicles.
    I am in the car business and switch between cars fairly often.
    You shouldn't have a problem mounting either one of these on your Mazdas.

P.S. The Thule has a locking features;
    one for the rack to the car
    and one for the bike in the last mounting position.
    Second on the Thule Raceway. I have one and it works great. Locking features (of both the bike and the rack), and the installation is super easy...so much in fact, we take it on and off as needed instead of leaving it on. They even have a "fit" guide on their site that will tell you if a rack is "GO, NO GO" for your exact car.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Typetwelve View Post
    Second on the Thule Raceway. I have one and it works great. Locking features (of both the bike and the rack), and the installation is super easy...so much in fact, we take it on and off as needed instead of leaving it on. They even have a "fit" guide on their site that will tell you if a rack is "GO, NO GO" for your exact car.
    Me too. I'll put on the rack to get bike to bike shop for a repair, then off. Less than a minute to put on or off once initial setup is done.

FNG

Bike rack rant

[QUOTE=wim;4350972]As said by others, the only secure way to carry a bike or bikes is to carry them inside the car./QUOTE]

Pretty much a non-option for a 'vette :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks, all, for the replies. Two major factors I didn't mention are that I do indeed have children's car seats in both vehicles that make interior storage a challenge, and that amidst a summer kitchen remodel, hitch costs are going to be prohibitive.

The Saris Bones is compatible with both vehicles and I picked up a near-mint 3 bike version on Craigslist as of this morning. $90 and the problem is solved for now.

Especially thanks for the notes on theft/security. Food for thought as I face the new opportunities the rack affords.

Dr. Buzz Killington
    I've always been a Saris Bones fan since it fits sedans and hatchbacks or crossovers (like the CX9) well. I first got it in 2005 for my 2002 Chevy Cavalier Sport coupe because I needed a rack that fit easily over spoilers. I've kept it for my 2012 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback, and it was simply a matter of rotating the arms a bit to mount it.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by drussell View Post
    I'll take your word for it since I'm not very knowledgeable about Corvettes. Obviously. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    [QUOTE=drussell;4351144]
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    As said by others, the only secure way to carry a bike or bikes is to carry them inside the car./QUOTE]

I don't think that's going to happen. And no those suction cup things scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    I'll take your word for it since I'm not very knowledgeable about Corvettes. Obviously. :-)
    I'm not that knowledgable about Corvette's either... but not too much knowledge needed to figure this one out.

"It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP Diver View Post
    I'm not that knowledgable about Corvette's either... but not too much knowledge needed to figure this one out.
    Got it now, thanks for the pic. I had it confused with a Chevette. :-)

Actually, I bet that you could fit one bicycle frame, a blanket covering it and two wheels laid flat on top of that blanket into that trunk. Given the looks and the speed (on the German Autobahn, anyway) of this automobile, I would vastly prefer that inside option over putting a bike rack on the rear.
    Last edited by wim; 05-12-2013 at 01:31 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member

Bike rack rant

I talked to my LBS about a rack for my SLK 350. He recommended Saris. Taking it in tomorrow and try before I buy. Beauty of dealing locally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast