Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41
  1. #26
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    10,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Lrobby99 View Post
    Do you use yours with a 2nd bike extension?
    And like it just as much?
    thanks
    Yea. I normally only carry 1 bike. But have the 2nd bike add-on and attach it when needed. Only 2 bolts to put it on. Fitting 2 bikes without touching each other is a breeze.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: OldZaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,958
    Quote Originally Posted by man.cave View Post
    I've not tried it, I actually rarely use a hitch rack system. I have trays mounted to the beds of both my trucks. The one ups look like someone went to a hardware store and put a bunch of random pieces together and made a rack. Between the wife and 2 kids, we have 16...
    So... you've never used a 1Up, you rarely use a hitch rack... but you're offering an opinion on the 1Up hitch rack. Well done. How do you like Waters' new ToF liquid chromatograph mass spectrometer?

    Back on topic...
    I've not used the Kuat but have heard only great things about it. So, my earlier comment: "I'm convinced the only people you'll find recommending a rack other than a 1UpUSA, are those people who've yet to use a 1UpUSA." is admittedly somewhat flawed.

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    47
    And then there were two....
    I guess I like the Sherpa 2 because it immediately holds two bikes.
    And I guess I like the 1UP because there is no empty slot when traveling with just one bike.
    Time to download the manuals of both for in-depth study.

  4. #29
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    10,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Lrobby99 View Post
    And then there were two....
    I guess I like the Sherpa 2 because it immediately holds two bikes.
    And I guess I like the 1UP because there is no empty slot when traveling with just one bike.
    Time to download the manuals of both for in-depth study.
    The manual for the 1UP isn't going to tell you a whole lot. Check some videos.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtP...Rqja_EaIOwL0uQ
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,391
    man I would love to have a 1up rack for two bikes. mainly for mtn bikes

    Not a fan of my old 4 bike top tube hitch rack .. because I have to use snap on crossbars and yet the top tube still gets scratched up - though it does easily hold 4 bikes which I need sometimes, and it functions as a repair stand for working on bikes too

    but spent too much on racks this year. A complete Mercedes-Thule roof rack cause my E class will not accept any hitch assembly (!) and a Bones 2up trunk rack for my vac home where I only use rental cars.

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    47
    Another question. And I am going to get "there" eventually. I swear.
    The Kuat Sherpa has the arm brace that clamps down on the front tire. The instructions are to place the hook as near the stem as you can. But that's right were the brake is.
    No problem there?
    The 1UP uses the hoop design and comes nowhere near the brakes. Advantage 1UP?

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Lrobby99 View Post
    The Kuat Sherpa has the arm brace that clamps down on the front tire. The instructions are to place the hook as near the stem as you can. But that's right were the brake is.
    No problem there?
    That's how my Yakima works too and I've never had a problem with it.

  8. #33
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    47
    Does the 1UP work well with tires down to 24mm?

  9. #34
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    10,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Lrobby99 View Post
    Does the 1UP work well with tires down to 24mm?
    Yup. I regularly use it with 23mm & 2.5" MTB tires. Not problems. Rock solid.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    47
    Decision made. I like the hoops on the 1UP better, I like the ease of use, I like the fact it is made in WI where I live. And the precision machined parts look aircraft quality.
    The Sherpa finished a close second.
    Now I just have to choose a Class III hitch. Going 2 inch.
    Thanks!

  11. #36
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,472
    You would have been fine with either - they are obviously both great rack systems.

  12. #37
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    9
    Kuat NV Awesome!

  13. #38
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    589
    I've had a Yakima Hold Up for 8 years now. I've travelled with several people that have 1Ups as well. The Hold Up serves me well, although the quality/craftsmanship leaves something to be desired. I also have the 2 bike extension, so I have a sturdy four bike system for around $600. The 1Up is so much nicer, but would probably take around $400 more to have 4 bike capacity. Two notes not previously mentioned:

    (1) 1ups can be less than ideal for carrying bikes with fenders, although it has worked for me when needed.

    (2) Big plus for the 1up - using my Hold Up rack, bikes are alternated in their direction on the rack, but sometimes you still get handlebars sticking into the saddle of the adjacent bike. The problem is more prevalent with flatbars/MTBs. You can always loosen the handlebars and rotate them almost 90 degrees, but I prefer not to. With the 1up, you can slide each bike forwards or backwards a few inches, so this is never a problem.

  14. #39
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    47
    Cool post, ogre.
    I gave no thought to the issues in #2, but very nice to know.
    Thanks!
    (and 1UP is made in WI where I live).

  15. #40
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    47
    Update:
    Bought it, got it, tried it. All I can say is thanks for the advice, everyone.
    Ordered on a Saturday evening, received it Tuesday. Bought the Quick Rack and one Add-on, two bike locks, and the hitch lock. (For this much $$ I want security) Shipped free.

    And the funny thing is the first use, or "Test Case", was my bro-in-law buying his new bike at an expo and calling me to haul it home for him. He, never having seen a 1UP before, was a little leery about his new bike when after I ratcheted both arms in place stood back and said "Well, in theory this should work". Can you blame him?

    Anyway, to make a long story short, I went over bumps, jumped on the freeway, and hit about 75 on the way there. A fairly complete test. And, to the surprise of no one here, it worked perfectly and his new steed was delivered in perfect condition.

    And after that I showed it off to everyone, including the fast load/unload, and how even with the Add-On attached, the whole thing folds up to an amazingly small package.

    And consider that previous to this, I was using a Yakima King Joe 3. Straps, buckles, tugging on this, adjusting that, and bungees all over the fricking place. Loading two bikes was slow torture. The 1UP is Seventh Heaven.

    Thanks to all, including Tig and OldZaskar who deserve shout-outs on this.

  16. #41
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    10,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Lrobby99 View Post
    Update:
    Bought it, got it, tried it. All I can say is thanks for the advice, everyone.
    Ordered on a Saturday evening, received it Tuesday. Bought the Quick Rack and one Add-on, two bike locks, and the hitch lock. (For this much $$ I want security) Shipped free.

    And the funny thing is the first use, or "Test Case", was my bro-in-law buying his new bike at an expo and calling me to haul it home for him. He, never having seen a 1UP before, was a little leery about his new bike when after I ratcheted both arms in place stood back and said "Well, in theory this should work". Can you blame him?

    Anyway, to make a long story short, I went over bumps, jumped on the freeway, and hit about 75 on the way there. A fairly complete test. And, to the surprise of no one here, it worked perfectly and his new steed was delivered in perfect condition.

    And after that I showed it off to everyone, including the fast load/unload, and how even with the Add-On attached, the whole thing folds up to an amazingly small package.

    And consider that previous to this, I was using a Yakima King Joe 3. Straps, buckles, tugging on this, adjusting that, and bungees all over the fricking place. Loading two bikes was slow torture. The 1UP is Seventh Heaven.

    Thanks to all, including Tig and OldZaskar who deserve shout-outs on this.
    Great to hear. Once you use one, you understand... it is that awesome.

    I'm about to get a 2nd one for my GF's car as soon as I get her hitch installed.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Hitch Bike Rack Recommendations?
    By TripleB in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-21-2016, 12:46 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-08-2015, 02:44 AM
  3. 4 bike hitch rack - tray or hanger?
    By ispoke in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-01-2009, 11:43 AM
  4. hitch rack - top tube or tray's?
    By Qstick333 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 04:44 PM
  5. What's the Best 5-Bike Trailor Hitch Rack
    By Scummer in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2005, 12:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •