Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014

Bike Rack, Tray, Hitch?

Hello:
    Been a while, I hope all are well.

I Revised my automobile and now my King Joe bike rack no longer works. Okay by me since I will never like the strap-down types anyway.

I plan to install a Class III receiver hitch 2" and am bewildered by the array of bike racks out there. I lean towards the tray type where the wheels rest on brackets of some sort and a clamp holds the bike down.

Prices are all over the place. The Yakima's, for example, look great and cost a fortune.
    I have one Trek Domane and a couple others of the less pricey variety.

A price of $200 or less is my goal.
    Suggestions?
    thanks!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    You're not going to find a decent tray hitch rack under $200.

The rack you want is the 1UPUSA. Search the forum for "1UPUSA". Lots of threads about them. Everyone loves them because... they're simply awesome.
    https://www.1upusa.com/product-quikracksilver.html
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Use my Apps :)
    Yeah, the tray mount are more expensive but if I had it to do over again I'd probably get a tray rack. I have something like this one Thule Hitching Post Pro - Folding Tilting 4 Bike Rack w Anti-Sway - 1-1/4" and 2" Hitches Thule Hitch Bike Racks TH934XTR It was "relatively" inexpensive and just fits into your $200 range. Mine actually has a little nicer lever to allow it to swing out. I typically only carry one bike on it but it is a pain to load in a way where the handlebars don't want to move around. I put the bike all the way onto the rack (position closest to tailgate) and use an old toe strap to secure the pedal to the down member of the rack. That keeps it from swaying far better than the anti-sway thing Thule sells. A tray version rack would be so much easier as well as better for the bike. But the cheapest one's I've seen are >$300.

Another thing is I'm not too keen on trusting the plastic ratchet straps or rubber tie downs many of commercial racks use. I use them but will often also use a backup toe strap as extra security.

the 1UPUSA that the other poster mentioned looks really nice. Touches no part of the frame and no straps either. If you need to carry more than one bike though the add-ons will make it a pretty expensive rack.
    "My Elevation" provides accurate elevation information on your Android device wherever you are or wherever you search. Accurate elevation, weather conditions and related Wikipedia data on just about anyplace on the planet!
    Get it on Google Play!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    That is one pretty amazing looking bike rack.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015
    Not sure how expensive your bikes are, but a rack isn't the place to skimp on money. Thule T2 pro xt. Is a solid 2 tray system. Make sure u get the xt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    There are no 'cheap' and 'good' options for tray racks, there are cheap ones, and there are good ones. Just none that are both - at least not that I've found. Anyway, this is not something you want to skimp on - the last thing you need is for your bike to go bouncing down the highway - causing "Mayhem"...

I injured my shoulder last year and couldn't lift my bikes onto my roof rack, and did quite a bit of research into tray style racks. I'm not thrilled about the idea of using my bikes as a rear bumper for my car, but I didn't really have a lot of choice in the matter.

I ended up with Kuat Sherpa 2 slot - It's light, robust, simple design (very few moving parts) and super fast and easy to load bikes on to.

Last edited by Migen21; 02-27-2017 at 11:11 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Great answers.
    One thing is clear I did not think of earlier, the arm to hold the bike down should not contact the frame. The Domane I have is carbon. I guess that is why.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm convinced the only people you'll find recommending a rack other than a 1UpUSA, are those people who've yet to use a 1UpUSA.

I've had custom racks, Thules, Yaks... the 1Up is just in its own class.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Heard nothing but great thinks about Kuat. Check them out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    In the Youtube vid the Sherpa does indeed look real nice.
    I like the anti-rattle feature attaching to the hitch receiver.
    Does the 1UP have this feature?
    The 1UP looks great too.
    thanks

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lrobby99 View Post
    Does the 1UP have this feature?
    Yes. It doesn't use a pin. It uses an internal locking mechanism that prevents removal or rattling.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    The main selling point for me on the Kuat Sherpa was weight - it's extremely light - my 4' 11" girlfriend has no problem taking it off and putting it on by herself. I was basically operating with one arm for about 8 months while my shoulder healed, and I had no trouble with it either. I think it's listed at 32lbs, but i weighed mine and it was 29lbs without the 2" receiver adapter.

It's also fairly compact when removed from the car - I can take it off and easily toss it in the back of my hatchback or into a corner of the garage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    I've also used a Kuat hitch mount and it was great. I've also used two different roof mounts- a yakima and a thule. The roof mounts were convenient and fast, but my wife and I are now using our inside-the-ford-escape-bike mount. Better mpg, keeps bikes hidden from thieves, keeps bugs off bikes, keeps rain off bikes, keeps rocks from semis off bikes, etc. The obvious drawback is limited cargo space inside the car, and we have to take front wheels off. But fork mounts cost ten bucks each, and I just screwed them to 2x4s and stuck some velcro on the 2x4.
    I'm a runner but sometimes I bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    I'm convinced the only people you'll find recommending a rack other than a 1UpUSA, are those people who've yet to use a 1UpUSA.

I've had custom racks, Thules, Yaks... the 1Up is just in its own class.
    I've not tried it, I actually rarely use a hitch rack system. I have trays mounted to the beds of both my trucks. The one ups look like someone went to a hardware store and put a bunch of random pieces together and made a rack. Between the wife and 2 kids, we have 16 different bikes of various sizes, the thule can handle them all without any special adjustments or add ons. It does weigh 50 lbs, but solid as a rock

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    If contemplating a hitch mount and potentially using carbon rims, watch this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ty2OIwpbvo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    If you can overlook cheap and ugly, this works great. I've hauled our road bikes all over the place, and even have modified it to carry our tandem plus a road bike and works great. Takes a little strategically placed padding, but otherwise quite functional.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks again for the replies.
    I am leaning now to "up the ante" and own a reliable rack, and use it more frequently too. It looks to me the arm braces that grab the wheel instead of the top tube are where the price differential really begins. And the construction takes a step-up too.
    Carbon rims not being my future. Thanks!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by man.cave View Post
    I've not tried it, I actually rarely use a hitch rack system. I have trays mounted to the beds of both my trucks. The one ups look like someone went to a hardware store and put a bunch of random pieces together and made a rack.
    Ha. It looks (and is) a CNC machined piece of art. Other than a few bolts, you wouldn't find any of it at a hardware store.

Between the wife and 2 kids, we have 16 different bikes of various sizes, the thule can handle them all without any special adjustments or add ons.
    As can the 1upusa. And can do it faster than any other system. Plus if you have carbon wheels, there's to ratchet strap cinching down on your rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Ha. It looks (and is) a CNC machined piece of art. Other than a few bolts, you wouldn't find any of it at a hardware store.

As can the 1upusa. And can do it faster than any other system. Plus if you have carbon wheels, there's to ratchet strap cinching down on your rim.
    There's nothing to adjust, on t2 pro xt. Every bike goes in and tight the same way. I have "no ****" 8 sets of carbon wheels

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    There's nothing to adjust, on t2 pro xt. Every bike goes in and tight the same way. I have "no ****" 8 sets of carbon wheels
    No clue what you're talking about. I never said there was anything to adjust on the T2.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015
    No clue what you're talking about. I never said there was anything to adjust on the T2.
    I didn't know the one up could take a 4.6 fatbike tire and a 25mm rd bike tire without having to adjust something. The ones I looked at could not. You said the one up is faster than the T2 pro. Honestly I don't care. I don't like any of them if I have a choice of my bed trays.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I didn't know the one up could take a 4.6 fatbike tire and a 25mm rd bike tire without having to adjust something. The ones I looked at could not. You said the one up is faster than the T2 pro.
    Yes, if you have a fatbike, you install the fatbike spacer kit. Then it works on any bike 23mm thru 4.9". No adjustments.

Yes, the 1UP loads up and removes faster. It's splitting hairs, the T2 loads up pretty quick. But nothing out there beats the simplicity of the 1UP.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    1UPUSA user here... love it. The thing is awesome!

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    I'll pile on and recommend that you bite the bullet and spend what is required for a good rack.

I'm still using the Thule roof rack that we bought for my Mother in 1984 as a ski rack. With periodic purchases of attachments and adapter kits, I've now used the rack on 5 (?) different vehicles over the years (I inherited it after my mom decided she didn't want to get the adapters when she got a new car ca. 1988).

I'm not recommending a roof rack, I'm just recommending that you don't limit yourself to a low budget rack. You might end up spending more in the long run.

-----------

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    You're not going to find a decent tray hitch rack under $200.

The rack you want is the 1UPUSA. Search the forum for "1UPUSA". Lots of threads about them. Everyone loves them because... they're simply awesome.
    https://www.1upusa.com/product-quikracksilver.html
    Do you use yours with a 2nd bike extension?
    And like it just as much?
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast