RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Question Bike rental pedals?

I am sorry if this has been covered before but I could find anything in a search. I am planning a trip to the Bay Area mid summer and was thinking of renting a bike while there. I can take my gear but I am wondering how the pedals are handled on rental bikes? My shoes are set up for SPD, do I travel with my own pedals or?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would say if you're going to take all your gear already might as well take your pedals too. Although, I think the policy is usually, you bring your own preferred pedals (or they give you simple platform pedals).

I play for keeps
    bring your pedals and your saddle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    I always bring shoes, pedal and helmet. If I'm going to be using the bike for more than a couple of days, I also bring my saddle.... although I always try the rental saddle for at least a decent ride, just t have the opportunity to try a different saddle. You never know where the perfect saddle will appear.

But shoes, helmet and pedals.

I also always bring my MTB shoes and pedals when I travel and rent a road bike. Why? Well, in unfamilar territory, I never know how much walking I'll be doing. Especially common to walk down the hall from the hotel room, across the lobby, maybe across the parking lot, etc. It's not a big deal genearlly, but I just feel more comfortable with my MTB shoes and pedals, and they really work just fine, as we all know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Great advice, Thanks. I'm not sure why I didn't even think about the saddle.......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Identify a few places and call them. Pedals are small so I would still bring them just in case though.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.