RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

Bike shorts with wicking t shirt?

Hi, I recently picked up some bike shorts and they are skin tight, I can't afford the jersey right now but I have some nice Nike wicking shirts, is it common for people to wear loose fitted shirt with tight shorts? I don't want to wear regular gym shorts due to I like feel of cycling with just shorts.

Also anyone have tips to hide plumbers crack without jerseys?

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Just ride what you have and don't worry about what other people think you should be wearing. Also, I've seen guys wearing white bib shorts and they were showing more than plumbers crack (not a pretty sight).
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cycling shorts generally come up high enough in the back such that plumber's crack shouldn't be a problem. Might be a problem if your wearing a couple of sizes too small, but then they'll be stretched thin enough to be see-thru anyway.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stirb View Post
    Hi, I recently picked up some bike shorts and they are skin tight, I can't afford the jersey right now but I have some nice Nike wicking shirts, is it common for people to wear loose fitted shirt with tight shorts? I don't want to wear regular gym shorts due to I like feel of cycling with just shorts.
    There's nothing wrong with wearing a T shirt instead of a Jersey if that's what you want to do, but I've found that loose clothing flaps in the wind and can get annoying. You might want to check Marshall's, TJ Max, etc... for low priced wicking sports shirts. I get most of my gym wear from there on the cheap - its usually a decent brand like UnderArmor, Nike, etc...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    The only issue I see is that unless your shorts have pockets (and most biking shorts don't) you are going to need something to carry stuff in. Cycling jerseys have pockets in the back to carry spare tube, bars, cash, etc. I have a saddle bag and still use my jersey pockets. If you looked around I'd bet you can find jerseys on sale for $20 or less. Otherwise don't worry about looks, just go out and ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    If you want a jersey on the cheap, check out Nashbar. There is always some sale or outlet item for about 20 bucks or so.

Other option is ebay. Tons of new, used, and heavily used jerseys out there for 10-15 bucks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wear jerseys on weekend rides, and I find the pockets handy, but on my daily commute I have more personal belongings to carry (wallet, phone, etc.) which I want to keep on my person. So I use a fanny pack with compartments, and I wear wicking t-shirts (get 'em cheap from Sierra Trading Post).

As others have noted, the house-brand jerseys from places like Nashbar and Performance are bargains.
    Find Short Sleeve Cycling Jerseys: The Best Men's Cycling Clothing From Performance Bike
    Ubuntu: I am what I am because of who we all are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    i ride without jersey most of the time, i didn't really need to carry anything extra with the pockets in the back, and i don't see the point of spending more than $20 for a top when i can wear a dry-quick shirt that i have plenty. just wear whatever is most comfortable, buy jersey if you join a club or if you see it on sales for dirt cheap. ultimately, pockets can come in handy for keys, food for longer rides

RoadBikeReview Member
    Any shirt will do if it fits closely so it doesn't flap in the breeze, wicks well, and is cut to fit well in the riding position. I have plenty of athletic tops for other activities that don't meet these basic criteria. Looking around for sales, you can find serviceable cycling jerseys for pretty cheap....like $20 at Nashbar at times, or clearance racks at large cycling shops, REI, etc..

Pockets come in handy for carrying food items, arm/leg warmers, rain vests, etc. as the situation and ride warrant. One thing I do fairly often for longer rides in hot weather is carry extra water/drink in a disposable bottle in the center back pocket in addition to the two water bottles on the bike. I'll down that first and toss the bottle in the trash.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There are closeout jerseys on ebay, around the cost of a wick dry t-shirt. Just keep looking until you find a color/style that you like and in your size.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stirb View Post

Also anyone have tips to hide plumbers crack without jerseys?
    No it's not common.

It is common to use 80mm carbon clinchers in windy areas for slow rides, ride without a helmet, not carry a spare tube and use time trial bikes for group rides.

Hopefully that shows you the link between something being common and something being smart is a rather weak link and you wear whatever works for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

^^^^^ I like this response the best ;)

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    I am not your standard roadie. I am 5'11" 260lbs but love riding road bikes. The plumber crack issue is a non issue for me cause I rather wear bib shorts since the regular bike shorts don't fit properly because of my belly As far as jerseys, I wear Nashbar and LG club fit jerseys which fit much looser than the race fit and can normally be purchased brand new for around $25 a piece. Doesn't really matter what you wear when your ride as long as you're having fun
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2014 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2013 Fuji Finest 1.1C (Wife's)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Bib shorts with slim cut tee.
    Baggy shirts feel like kites at times.

RoadBikeReview Member

I wear my jerseys or wicking running shirts, whichever is clean and on top of the pile.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Hmm, well what I did today was wear a wife beater under my shirt and tucked it into my bike shirts and put on a wicking shirt, hid the plumbers crack. As for the bike shorts to big, I don't think so because they are a huge pain to get on and I don't think my 200 pound self can get into a small(in a medium already). Im going to look into bibs because there seems to be no other good alternative to the crack issue im having lol.

As for the pockets, no need, I have a saddle bag that carries everything I need.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    i have usually wear knicks (or bagy mtb shorts) but have never worn a jersy in 20 odd years, just a T shirt or thermal with T over it...nobody needs/wants to see my ample baggage up front.

just a q, are they "bike shorts"? or cycling knicks, I just know loads of people that call any lycra short a bike short, but they are way different to a cycling knick. When I started I used bike shorts as thays what I had from running and couldn't affort knicks, I still run in them (not the same pair) but would rather not ride in them, but have know people that are more than happy to.
    2012 Cervelo R3, 1996 GT Xizang.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wear all loose fitting moisture wicking shirts when I'm off the bike. And I used to wear loose fitting jerseys on the bike but the problem I've had with longer rides and wearing loose fitting jerseys/shirts is chafing in the nipple area. They do make a product called "nip guards" which help but I've found wearing tighter jerseys combat most chafing issues. Just my .02..."which is worth $37" to quote the most interesting man in the world.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013

Re: Bike shorts with wicking t shirt?

I don't have the kind of leathery nipples I'd need to wear a loose t-shirt flapping in the wind without pain.

Crash Test Dummy
    Aug 2012
    alibaba.com has jersey's on the the cheap. Ebay is a great place to look. I don't care for the flapping t-shirts so I bought several jersey's at an estate sale along with 3 pair of shorts and pants with 2 helmets, a frame pump, a floor pump and carbon fiber shimano road shoes for 75.00.
    Fried Legs and Achin'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    You can go to target and get one of those C9 compression sports shirt for cheap. Get one size up so that it's not skin tight, but not flappy loose either.