Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    banned
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    -Those type of torque wrenches are actually very good.
    -No I don't see details on how tight to make the QR. Nor have I ever heard of that being something bike shops routinely go over.
    -Don't know where you got the idea that spacers above should or need to equal spacers below but that's wrong.
    He tried to tell someone the weight difference between a Cannondale regular frame and hi mod frame was two pounds! Of course he is wrong about the handlebars.

Hi Mod vs regular carbon Synapse

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I think you may have misunderstood what I said and I may have chosen my words wrong. I'm not talking about the spacers on the fork. I am talking about the gap above and below where the step clamp holds the handlebars on.
    okay. I get it now. I hadn't seen that part of the video either when I first commented.

Canyon is notorious for proprietary parts so I wouldn't be sure it's 'wrong' with their stems but yeah I get what you're saying. And if they designed their stems so that is the way the work best I would think there would be an up side and down side of the clamp thing they should have mentioned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    The OP did not mention what kind of roads he is riding--gravel, steep hills, city riding, etc. those choice might make a difference which he chooses.
    One of the most important aspects of buying a bike for a beginner--is to get a real bike fitting, not to choose a bike from the rack of bikes--aka WalMart. Most LBS will at least, put the bike on a trainer and have you ride it to dial in the seat, hopefully swap the stem if it is not correct, and as others have mentioned---do what it takes to make a nice ride. This to me is more important than just choosing any of the 3 bikes the OP mentioned. Choose your LBS with care.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Also, the part about attaching the handlebar to the stem is incorrect.
    No mention of greasing the stem bolts, though the bolts could come pre-greased. No mention to incrementally tighten each bolt. I imagine that newbs might tighten one bolt to torque spec before moving on to the next bolt.

No mention what to do if the brake calipers don't hit the rim evenly, if one arm drags. I bet more bikes than not have pads that don't hit the rims symmetrically.

Dammit, that video was 3 and a half minutes! That now means I'm gonna spend 13.5 minutes building a Canyon!

I did wonder after I made my first post if Canyon does some additional prep that comes with their bikes as opposed to bikes traditionally sold thru IBDs, and from the video, it appears they do, but my original points still stand. Any bike out of a box needs the attention of a competent mechanic and is not a quick, cut-and-dry exercise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Here's a side by side comparison view of options 2 and 3 - https://99spokes.com/compare?bikes=g...ubaix-sl4-2017

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vio1 View Post
    Hi, Im getting my first decent road bike, and I'm at a loss at which of 3 bikes to get.
    My max budget is $2000 Canadian Dollars. I'm looking for a decent bike for fitness purposes. Want a comfortable ride that won't tire my arms and back.

Option 1: BMC SLX01 105 5700 for $1699 + tax
    - Shimano 105 w/Mavi Yksion Powerlink 700x23
    https://www.racersportif.com/collect...1-10-road-bike

Option 2: Specialized Roubaix SL4 for $1699 + tax
    - Tiagra w/ Axis Elite wheels
    Wheels of Bloor - Toronto's #1 Road Bike Shop | Road and Triathlon

Option 3: Giant Contend SL 1 DISC for $1849 + tax
    - Shimano 105 w/Giant Gavia AC 2, 700x25, Tubeless
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/contend-sl-1-disc
    Get whichever one is not flat black. Nothing else matters if your bike is butt ugly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    I will choose the most cost-effective bike, I think full carbon is the best

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritalalala View Post
    I will choose the most cost-effective bike, I think full carbon is the best
    Could you please elaborate on why you think this?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123