Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018

Which Bike Should I Get? Specialized or BMC or Giant?

Hi, Im getting my first decent road bike, and I'm at a loss at which of 3 bikes to get.
    My max budget is $2000 Canadian Dollars. I'm looking for a decent bike for fitness purposes. Want a comfortable ride that won't tire my arms and back.

Option 1: BMC SLX01 105 5700 for $1699 + tax
    - Shimano 105 w/Mavi Yksion Powerlink 700x23
    https://www.racersportif.com/collect...1-10-road-bike

Option 2: Specialized Roubaix SL4 for $1699 + tax
    - Tiagra w/ Axis Elite wheels
    Wheels of Bloor - Toronto's #1 Road Bike Shop | Road and Triathlon

Option 3: Giant Contend SL 1 DISC for $1849 + tax
    - Shimano 105 w/Giant Gavia AC 2, 700x25, Tubeless
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/contend-sl-1-disc
    Last edited by Vio1; 04-27-2018 at 08:06 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    An oft asked question on here. We know how to field this one.

The answer is always not what you'd expect to hear:

The most pragmatic piece of advice is to get the bike that fits. Meaning, get the bike that is most suited to your body and how your body sits on the bike. If you're not a 25 year old racer with a body to match you may not want to get the raciest, stiffest bike out there that will necessitate you putting in a stack of spacers just to get the handlebars up high enough to where you are comfortable riding it for extended periods of time.

The second piece of advice I can impart - and is echoed by many - is to get the bike that excites you... if you're 40 and a desk jockey get the bike on which you imagine yourself to be flying right there with the peloton. Get the bike that looks good to you. If you get a bike based on someones recommendation but it doesn't do it for you, you may find that you don't throw your leg over the frame as often, which would be a shame.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    An oft asked question on here. We know how to field this one.

The answer is always not what you'd expect to hear:

The most pragmatic piece of advice is to get the bike that fits. Meaning, get the bike that is most suited to your body and how your body sits on the bike. If you're not a 25 year old racer with a body to match you may not want to get the raciest, stiffest bike out there that will necessitate you putting in a stack of spacers just to get the handlebars up high enough to where you are comfortable riding it for extended periods of time.

The second piece of advice I can impart - and is echoed by many - is to get the bike that excites you... if you're 40 and a desk jockey get the bike on which you imagine yourself to be flying right there with the peloton. Get the bike that looks good to you. If you get a bike based on someones recommendation but it doesn't do it for you, you may find that you don't throw your leg over the frame as often, which would be a shame.
    Thanks for your input. Anyone of these is really nice, but im not sure about the technical details. Are one of these manufactures better then others? Should I go for 105 over Tiagra?

RoadBikeReview Member
    My .02

Buy the bike that excites you and makes you want to go ride it.

Slowski
    The 5700 105 groupset is 10 speed, as is the Tiagra. All else being equal (frame quality, wheelset, etc.) the 105 group is better. However, I think you will find yourself getting annoyed that you didn't get an 11 speed group like the 5800 105 group on the Giant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are one of these manufactures better then others?
    No.

Should I go for 105 over Tiagra?
    Not if the Tiagra-equipped bike fits and feels better to you overall. The difference between the groups is small, and shouldn't outweigh more important factors. If you're comparing two otherwise equally desirable bikes, the component group might tip the balance, but it isn't the most important thing.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Is there any good reason to choose a carbon frame over aluminum?

Neophyte
    Since you mention + tax in all the prices I'm assuming they are all new and sold at a bike shop. If that's the case the BMC seems overpriced for how outdated it is. You may find a better deal somewhere if you wait a bit and keep looking. I know you are in Canada but in the USA the last couple years I feel like it's been fairly easy to find sub-$2000 bikes on clearance that have full 11-speed Ultegra.

Slowski
    Quote Originally Posted by Vio1 View Post
    Is there any good reason to choose a carbon frame over aluminum?
    The answer is more complicated than simply a yes or no. It really depends on the build quality and characteristics of either frame. At this price point, you are more likely to find a decent quality aluminum frame. The carbon frames at this price point are the manufacturer's lowest level (not to say that they are poor in any way though).

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I agree with the earlier replies. Also note that roubaix carbon frame is sweet and it's not of low end build quality.

A couple of additional things to consider:
    1. Try to buy from a dealer you want to do business with over the long haul.
    2. There is little difference between 11 speed and 10 speed in my opinion. Yes the 11 speed is the later technology, but, 10 speed works excellent. The main difference is you get one more gear with 11 speed. Unfortunately that extra gear is the 11 tooth cog, most people don't have the power to utilize it (maybe you do) and there are few choices if you want to replace it. With 10 speed you can purchase a cassette (or negotiate a swap with the dealer) to just about any gearing you want to fit your requirements.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I’d get the Giant. 11spd. Discs which I don’t have, but many love them and they look good. Looks are a big factor to many and I find that reasonable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You need to ride all three. More than likely, one will stand out. Bikes aren't fungible.

Based on specs I like the Giant, especially if you ride in areas where you can take advantage of its brakes and gearing.

I would look askance at a new bike with a 5700 groupset. While there is no shame in it per se -- I have it on my bike and it's given me many happy miles -- it is now two generations old, Shimano having released the R7000 this month.

I don't know much about the Tiagra, other than it's speced to allow the mfr to hit a price point and I'd expect something better on a $2K bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Buy local and look at Argon 18.

The Slow One.
    Honestly, I would go with the Giant, because they spec a hell of a bike for the price. Hydraulic disc brakes are really nice- especially if you ride a lot in the hills or in the rain. They give you a lot of tire size options, which pretty much negates any "superior ride quality" claims of the carbon options. Tubeless ready wheelset. 11 speed isn't any great upgrade over 10 (I still run exclusively 10 speed), but the advances in electronic shifting and hydraulic braking have occurred mostly in the 11 speed era. Parts availability may become an issue for the 10 speed drivetrains in a few years.

If the Giant makes you giggle like a schoolkid, get that one. If another one does, go that way.

I will say I hate white bikes, because they look dirty before I get out of the driveway. However, the BMC has the most red on it, which means it's likely the fastest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd get the Giant if it fit me well - nicer components than the others IMHO.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    I would look askance...
    pic?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    pic?
    something like this maybe a few more frown lines would be very askance?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which Bike Should I Get? Specialized or BMC or Giant?-skance-.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    OP I ride a BMC but of those three I'd get the Giant in your correct size and ride it with a big smile on your dial for years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Most important:

1) Buy the bike that fits you.

2) Buy the bike that feels best to you and makes you excited to ride.

3) Buy from the shop that give you the best service and will give you a detailed fitting with your purchase. A good fitting is one where they put you and your new bike on their trainer, watch you pedal and make small adjustments here and there to dial in your fit just right.

All others factors such as Tiagra vs. 105, 10-speed vs. 11-speed and even different wheelsets (all are fairly entry level) should be much lesser factors in your decision. You can always replace those down the road if you like. You can't replace your frame if it doesn't fit - well, you can, but that wouldn't be very cost effective considering the labor in transferring components.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Hi, Im getting my first decent road bike, and I'm at a loss at which of 3 bikes to get.
    My max budget is $2000 Canadian Dollars. I'm looking for a decent bike for fitness purposes. Want a comfortable ride that won't tire my arms and back.

#1 No
    #2 Maybe
    #3 Probably

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I don't have any of these 3 bikes, but if I was choosing, as others have noted, Giant is spec-ing one heck of a bike at that price point. 11-speed, which among other things allows one to be pick up the often missed rear 16T cog as opposed to it being missing in a similar 10-speed setup, is nice.

Plus, you put 700x28 tires on instead of the 700x25 that come with it, and you've suddenly got as comfortable a frame as nearly any carbon bike on the road.

Lastly, once again as others have noted, that Giant Contend (which is an exact copy dimension-wise of their higher-end endurance "Defy" carbon bikes) just looks sharper & better.

Good luck whichever direction you go!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I'll throw my hat in w/ all the recommendations for the Giant.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    +1 for the Giant
    They those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. The problem is you can't teach stupid and history is taught in a classroom.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post
    Plus, you put 700x28 tires on instead of the 700x25 that come with it, and you've suddenly got as comfortable a frame as nearly any carbon bike on the road.
    I would definitely agree that one deciding factor should be frame clearance for running wider tires. 28mm tires make a big difference in comfort over 25mm tires.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

banned
    Feb 2011

None of the above. Get yourself a Canyon, specs are better than any of the above by far

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast