RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

Bike size question? 56 or 58 with fitting of 74cm fitted saddle height

I went to get a fit before I purchased the bike and I received some measurements in regards to saddle height. The given saddle height is 74cm.

I will be purchasing a Trek Domane very soon but the 56 min "saddle rail height minimum is 67cm. A 58 is 69cm. I plan to be purchasing a Brooks Cambium C17 Carved which has a height of 5.2cm.

While after test riding the 58 first and then riding the 56... I felt huge on the 56. But, with this new data, the saddle height prescribed would not fit the 58. So my question is, would a difference of 2-3cm make a huge difference?

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    This is how I understand this: On the 58 cm Domane, the lowest you could set your Cambium saddle would be 74.2 cm center-of-bottom bracket to top of the saddle. So you would only add 2 mm (not 2 cm) to the saddle height that you've been given. That's very little (a stack of two dimes is 2 mm high) and would not make a noticeable difference for most riders.

There could be problems in the future. Right now, you believe that 74 cm is your proper saddle height. But another fitter might tell you that you're sitting much too high. You might want significantly longer cranks, which means having to lower your saddle. Moving you cleats toward the heel could require a slight lowering of the saddle. Point being: I'd be a little leery of riding a bike that doesn't give me the option to bring down the saddle.

If I misunderstood your problem or did the math wrong, try again. It was a bit hard to follow your thoughts, and I'm old.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    This is how I understand this: On the 58 cm Domane, the lowest you could set your Cambium saddle would be 74.2 cm center-of-bottom bracket to top of the saddle. So you would only add 2 mm (not 2 cm) to the saddle height that you've been given. That's very little (a stack of two dimes is 2 mm high) and would not make a noticeable difference for most riders.

There could be problems in the future. Right now, you believe that 74 cm is your proper saddle height. But another fitter might tell you that you're sitting much too high. You might want significantly longer cranks, which means having to lower your saddle. Moving you cleats toward the heel could require a slight lowering of the saddle. Point being: I'd be a little leery of riding a bike that doesn't give me the option to bring down the saddle.

If I misunderstood your problem or did the math wrong, try again. It was a bit hard to follow your thoughts, and I'm old.
    I appreciate the way you explained it. With your information in mind, maybe it is best to get a 56 then. Thx.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    I've got a 58cm domane with a brooks saddle and a 79.5 cm seat height. I could probably lower the seat 1" (2.54cm) before bottoming out, but I doubt I could lower seat to 74.2cm. My wife has a 54cm domane with a brooks seat height of 72cm. Since your seat height falls in between, my guess is your best frame size is also in between (56cm).