RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018

bike stand question

Greetings everyone.
    I go on ebay frequently to admire steel Italian road bikes for sale. Some of them are sitting on these beautiful, old-fashioned compact wooden stands that are probably made/sold in Europe. These things sit under the BB and have an arm piece that holds the downtube, holding the bike a foot or so off the ground. I'd love to get one or build one myself but for that I'd need plans. I don't even know what they are called. Google searches so far have been fruitless. Does anyone know what I'm referring to? Thanks for any help.

a real member's member
    pic or link of pic?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    velodog - Thanks very much. Most of these, though nice, are the wrong style. One of them is fairly close though, and of course it has a nice Colnago on it:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8480/...1ba78842_z.jpg

The decals say Campy on the end and Drillium Revival on the side. I'll search under those names. This is close to what I meant, but the classic ones I saw on eBay are probably older and even more elegant - but you could spin the pedals and shift the gears on that thing - that's what I want. If I can get the measurements I could build one in my garage. Thanks for the help. Much obliged....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks for the reply. For some odd reason I was seeing a number of these older stands on eBay over the summer but there are none on there right now. It's an elegant design though. Somebody sent me this from a Pinterest page:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8480/...1ba78842_z.jpg

It's pretty close to what I meant. This would work and I could built it myself. The decals say Campagnolo on the end and Drillium Revival on the side. The design I was talking about is pretty similar but even a little more elegant, and probably 25-40 years old or more. What I prefer to ride are classic bikes from the 80s in Columbus steel. I have two (Lotus Legend (SL w/Campy) and Schwinn Supersport (Tenax w/Shimano 600) and now I want to get another classic steel bike (DeRosa, Colnago, Pinarello, maybe) if I can afford it. Life is too short and there are too many great Italian bikes. Thanks.