Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exracer View Post
    Huh, that is interesting. When I lived in Vegas it was just the opposite. Never had a problem the sport bike guys but there were numerous times where I was buzzed by some Harley clown. I also saw it done to women. It wasn't all Harley riders. The normal older guys that were retired or close to retirement were pretty cool and would talk to you at a stop. It was outlaw biker wannabes that were the problem.
    Well, shux, wannabes are knuckleheads whether they're riding motorcycles, bicycles or store bought hot rods.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    I'm reading all these comments and I'm just floored. I live in NY and I've done well here. I'm from New England and now I really appreciate the importance of liberty that was instilled in me. I really don't see how so many of you (us) are ok with the massive government intrusion into our lives. I'm part of that government. The only time you hear "public safety" is when its going to be crammed down your throat. Politicians use that sentiment to shut up the masses. Who dare challenge "public safety."

Always an ulterior motive. insurance company looking to cut losses; as mentioned, politician daughter having an accident; and the list goes on. No political figure actually cares for YOU. It's you VOTE. If you feel different, that politician did a great job.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Well, shux, wannabes are knuckleheads whether they're riding motorcycles, bicycles or store bought hot rods.
    Other than the excessive noise, I really haven't had a problem with motorcycle riders. I wave at them (two-wheeled solidarity), most wave back. One of them flipped me the bird in response. One of my fellow riders told me that may not have been meant as an eff-you, but more of a friendly male response.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Other than the excessive noise, I really haven't had a problem with motorcycle riders. I wave at them (two-wheeled solidarity), most wave back. One of them flipped me the bird in response. One of my fellow riders told me that may not have been meant as an eff-you, but more of a friendly male response.
    I ride a ST1300 myself and don't have a problem with cyclists on the road. And when I'm cycling, the bikers are a lot more considerate than the cages. I will have bikers wave at me like I'm another biker. And they'll give better clearance when they pass going in the same direction. I've had car passengers reach out of an open window and try to grab or tip my handlebars as they pass... when I'm in a clearly marked and posted bike lane.

I'm certainly not as big an obstacle as some of the farm equipment rolling down rural roads, and I have to pass them, too. (If I wave to them, they will often waive back.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    It may be that you guys/gals are too busy riding on saturday mornings, but I see a lot of "cyclists" in northern utah/southern Idaho where I live, ride 2 and 3 wide on rural roads. They don't ever look back to see if traffic is coming up on them, and a lot of them have their cell phones mounted on their bars checking things and chatting as they coast down 1% grades chatting with the group at 8mph. I've seen men and women who appear to be in the TDF causing big rigs and cow haulers to have to slow down to wait for a safe place to pass on many occasions. Unfortunately, the same people who like to text and drive, run us off the road, and slam into us at stop signs, also buy expensive new bikes and accessories and creep along the nice roads, taking in the scenery. Some also ride 3 wide while normal people are just attempting to get from point A-B.

This sort of riding is why a bill comes up to ban bikes on rural roads, when a fully loaded truck full of cows has to slam on it's brakes at 6am for a group of fluorescent pink/blue/yellow carbon fiber roadies having a 30mph-under party in the middle of the road.

I know the rest of you, and myself are respectful of traffic. We own our lane, but we don't continue to own it when we see that cars have noticed us and we are slow, and there is room for them to safely pass. But there are a lot of people who simply don't pay attention at all and don't care at all, or maybe don't notice.

Mountain bike guide
    Bikes can legally ride 2 wide in Utah. It also makes them safer. They don't even have to move. Can you believe that? Crazy I know. If they do move, it's because they are being kind.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulok View Post
    It may be that you guys/gals are too busy riding on saturday mornings, but I see a lot of "cyclists" in northern utah/southern Idaho where I live, ride 2 and 3 wide on rural roads. They don't ever look back to see if traffic is coming up on them, and a lot of them have their cell phones mounted on their bars checking things and chatting as they coast down 1% grades chatting with the group at 8mph. I've seen men and women who appear to be in the TDF causing big rigs and cow haulers to have to slow down to wait for a safe place to pass on many occasions. Unfortunately, the same people who like to text and drive, run us off the road, and slam into us at stop signs, also buy expensive new bikes and accessories and creep along the nice roads, taking in the scenery. Some also ride 3 wide while normal people are just attempting to get from point A-B.

This sort of riding is why a bill comes up to ban bikes on rural roads, when a fully loaded truck full of cows has to slam on it's brakes at 6am for a group of fluorescent pink/blue/yellow carbon fiber roadies having a 30mph-under party in the middle of the road.

I know the rest of you, and myself are respectful of traffic. We own our lane, but we don't continue to own it when we see that cars have noticed us and we are slow, and there is room for them to safely pass. But there are a lot of people who simply don't pay attention at all and don't care at all, or maybe don't notice.
    Very good point. I argue with people in my club about this double standard. NJ law says you may ride 2 abreast as long as the flow of traffic is not obstructed. In traffic, you must ride single file. So I'm on a club ride and people in front of me are riding 2 and 3 abreast. A car is trying to pass so I single up and call out to those in front of me to single up and let cars pass. Some do, but some always ignore which creates a traffic jam + flared tempers behind us. Not nice.
    Last edited by Lombard; 01-25-2017 at 04:47 AM.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulok View Post

This is BS. It is legal to ride bikes on the road.
    Where they are riding 2 or 3 abreast, there probably isn't a shoulder to ride on anyway, so if they were single file, the big trucks would not be slowing down at all.
    Ignorant people get pissed at the 2/3 abreast, but don't realize that they can't pass anyway, and then have a pissy fit.
    If a fully loaded truck is on the road, he is responsible to pass safely, it is not the bikes that have to get the hell out of his way. He just needs to leave a little earlier, does he have a meeting with the Trump, I don't think so.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Very good point. I argue with people in my club about this double standard. NJ law says you may ride 2 abreast as long as the flow of traffic is not obstructed. In traffic, you must ride single file. So I'm on a club ride and people in front of me are riding 2 and 3 abreast. A car is trying to pass so I single up and call out to those in front of me to single up and let cars pass. Some do, but some always ignore which creates a traffic jam + flared tempers behind us. No nice.
    Agree. Cyclists are not blameless here. When I am in a group of riders that are blocking the road and not being respectful of drivers I'm embarrassed by that. I will often drop back, or get ahead of the group to disassociate myself from them. Where I am in southern NJ many of the roads have decent shoulders so if you are single file cars can generally pass without a problem

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Bikes can legally ride 2 wide in Utah. It also makes them safer. They don't even have to move. Can you believe that? Crazy I know. If they do move, it's because they are being kind.
    Well we rode two abreast in ETX. When a car approached from the rear, last rider in the bunch would yell. "Car back!" And we'd all go single file, and when the coast was clear, motion the driver he can safely pass. Nice way to handle the situation, if riders are paying attention; a great wasy to show respect and get it in return. But yes, if the single file line ends up too long, like more than 5 or 6 riders, the motorist won't see far enough ahead to safely pass! I've seen cars make it half way, then have to break into the peloton to avoid a head on collision with oncoming traffic.

Mountain bike guide
    This is something that we as cyclists need to learn and some type of education needs to be given to drivers.

Cyclists are more visible while riding 2 abreast. Many advocacy groups are trying to get cyclists to hold the road at 2 abreast.

It also makes it easier for cars to pass us. Like was mentioned before, if you can't pass a cyclist at 2 abreast, chances are, you can't pass them single file either. Cars get mad because what they think is that they own the road and we should get out of their way. They want to squeeze past us in the same lane. Unsafely. You cannot give them that opportunity. They can actually pass quicker when cyclists are more compressed, typically 2 abreast.

Now granted, there are plenty of times that dropping back to single file is warranted and should be done. It just doesn't have to happen all of the time.

I am always surprised by the ignorance (not used in a bad way) of cyclists who don't understand what makes them safer on the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    This is something that we as cyclists need to learn and some type of education needs to be given to drivers.

Cyclists are more visible while riding 2 abreast. Many advocacy groups are trying to get cyclists to hold the road at 2 abreast.

It also makes it easier for cars to pass us. Like was mentioned before, if you can't pass a cyclist at 2 abreast, chances are, you can't pass them single file either. Cars get mad because what they think is that they own the road and we should get out of their way. They want to squeeze past us in the same lane. Unsafely. You cannot give them that opportunity. They can actually pass quicker when cyclists are more compressed, typically 2 abreast.

Now granted, there are plenty of times that dropping back to single file is warranted and should be done. It just doesn't have to happen all of the time.

I am always surprised by the ignorance (not used in a bad way) of cyclists who don't understand what makes them safer on the road.
    I think that sometimes cyclists are too eager to appease motorists and that comes back to haunt us. When anybody always gets it their way they come to expect it, which can cause resentment when it isn't their way, and, to a degree, this may be the case with motorists.

I also think that we, as cyclists, are hyperaware of our surroundings which make the close passes and bad experiences memorable. Every day that I ride I get home having had a bad experience or two, but that's really only a small percentage of the actual motorists that I've interacted with. I take the lane and keep it, yet very few motorists seem bothered by this. Well, most days anyway.

I have a camera hanging on my saddle, facing behind me, and I skim the footage before deleting it. Doing this has shown me how much courtesy I am actually given in traffic. Maybe I'm just lucky but this footage shows most traffic following at a safe distance and waiting to pass till there is room to allow me my lane as they pass. Even most who I perceive to have passed too close follow till there is room.

Yeah, there are bung holes out there, but they are in the minority. Around my parts anyways.
    Too old to ride plastic

Mountain bike guide
    Yep. I also ride with two Garmin Virb Elite cameras. One facing front the other under the saddle facing the rear. It is scary to watch sometimes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Some necks in my area posted signs that cycling on certain roads was illegal. I stopped riding those roads because those ****ers were constantly buzzing me and rolling coal. I'll probably get some sort of camera system for my bike this summer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you View Post
    Some necks in my area posted signs that cycling on certain roads was illegal. I stopped riding those roads because those ****ers were constantly buzzing me and rolling coal.
    In NJ, rolling coal carries a $1,000 fine. You may want to try and get a plate number next time.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Here we go again. Another legislator with a personal agenda attempting to put us "bad" people in our place:

Montana Legislator Plans to Introduce Extensive Anti-Cyclist Bill | Bicycling

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    LOL! I understand some of the interstate highways in the Heartland are one lane in each direction. I did not know bikes were allowed on any interstate highway.
    Outside of city areas, Colorado allows bicycle traffic on interstates.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Video of Mr. Sales clealy personal vendetta and a very solid rebuttal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPEBgGMJ0q8

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    Here we go again. Another legislator with a personal agenda attempting to put us "bad" people in our place:

Montana Legislator Plans to Introduce Extensive Anti-Cyclist Bill | Bicycling
    Bike advocates will sue in court and get this law thrown out if it passes. It's a violation of equal protection, that is, it would restrict freedom of movement on the public roads for citizens who don't own cars. Unconstitutional. They tried this in TX in the late 90s. Failed there, too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Bike advocates will sue in court and get this law thrown out if it passes. It's a violation of equal protection, that is, it would restrict freedom of movement on the public roads for citizens who don't own cars. Unconstitutional. They tried this in TX in the late 90s. Failed there, too.
    this is the Trump era man, anything is possible

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    this is the Trump era man, anything is possible
    Be afraid; be very afraid......

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234