Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Poseur

Bikes banned on rural roads?

I live in Montana and most of the riding I do, and everyone else I know too, is on two-lane rural roads with little to no shoulder and not much traffic. A state representative, who just happens to own a Harley dealership, has stated his intention to introduce a bill to ban bicycles, runners, walkers and wheelchairs from those same roads. He claims it's about safety, but if pushed about bikers wearing helmets, he says that's a personal choice. I think he has an ulterior motive such as hating bicyclists, but that's sort of irrelevant. The question I have is has this happened anywhere else in the country, that bicycles have been banned from rural two-lane roads? I know there are some roads in national parks where bikes are banned but that's not what I'm interested in.

TIA
    I like cats, I just can't finish a whole one by myself.

Forever a Student
    Not that I'm aware of.

Those are exactly the type of roads I ride mainly. Some of them are a stretch to call two lanes, they're very narrow in the countryside.

Safety is for sure a concern on these types of roads because they are so narrow and have no shoulders. The fact that they're traveled less makes it even worse in that, in my experience, many locals drive right down the center of the road unless they have to do otherwise. This means often times they come around turns or go over hills right in the middle of the road.

That being said, when I drive those roads in my pickup truck it's pretty frightening. There's barely enough room to squeeze me and another vehicle on the road, some areas there isn't enough. I try to avoid driving on those roads if I can. When on my bike, I feel 100x safer than when in my truck. Not that Mr. politician cares or not that it matters really, but I'm much safer feeling on a bike and much less apt to cause an accident when on a bike than when in my truck.

On these same roads I see horses often. Both being ridden and sometimes pulling carriages along. I see farm equipment. I see people walking their dogs. I see older guys jogging and picking up trash. I see other cyclists. I see trucks sometimes. I see a car once in a great while. That's what's on the road. Oh yeah. Motorcycles. I see them, in packs, on the weekends usually, headed towards the mountain passes. They litter and pollute those passes with their noise, exhaust and propensity to have to stop and piss at every overlook (no bathrooms). They're usually older and probably have bad bladders.

So anyway, if you ask me, it's the cars and trucks you need to keep off of those narrow roads. The bikes and pedestrians and horses are what those roads were built to service, not the cars. He can get on his knees. Where he belongs.
    use a torque wrench

Adorable Furry Hombre
    We are discussing this over on BF today...there's also a thread on /r. For those curious, here's the actual law: http://leg.mt.gov/bills/2017/lchtml/LC2196.htm

I presume Montana is like Nebraska. Most state highways are two-lane, and due to lack of tax-base to fund roads almost no state highways have shoulders (be they paved or "soft"). Which basically means, cyclists are banned outside city limits on road (since Interstate highways are automatically out).

I know a few guys locally who refuse to ride on roads without shoulders....and within 60 miles of Lincoln there are maybe 2 paved roads/highways.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

Chief Road Officer
    We have a similar cretin in the Missouri State House who has introduced legislation restricting bicycles from rural roads while promoting "no helmet" motorcycle legislation. Fortunately it didn't make it. He has also proposed legislation requiring bicycles to be equipped with a 15' flag for visibility. His motivation is an incident in which his daughter crossed a double yellow line to go around cyclist and had an accident. So far none of these restrictive bills have made it to law, but the recent election has given us a Republican Governor, State House and State Senate, so it's hard to tell what other type of idiocy will sprout.
    Cromulent Wheelmen
    Chief Road Officer
    "Il più vecchio ottengo, il più veloce ero."

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    This proves that Harley Davidson owners do in fact have lower IQ's than average.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Aadub View Post
    This proves that Harley Davidson owners do in fact have lower IQ's than average.
    Montana also has introduced a bill to make completely legal any and ALL electronics use while behind the wheel....and further ban cities and municipalities from texting/driving laws.

Think of it as a Play Pokemon Go and Drive law.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Montana also has introduced a bill to make completely legal any and ALL electronics use while behind the wheel....and further ban cities and municipalities from texting/driving laws.

Think of it as a Play Pokemon Go and Drive law.
    Ya this is also the State that had "reasonable and prudent" as the posted speed limit for a few years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Time to move!
    When you live with red-neck right wingo's, there is only one solution.

I'm considering Perth.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Time to move!
    When you live with red-neck right wingo's, there is only one solution.

I'm considering Perth.
    Hey I'm fairly red-neck right wing, but this is crap and has nothing to do with either, it's senseless! Pedal bikes are more a part of transportation than some noisy Harley!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    We are discussing this over on BF today...there's also a thread on /r. For those curious, here's the actual law: http://leg.mt.gov/bills/2017/lchtml/LC2196.htm

I presume Montana is like Nebraska. Most state highways are two-lane, and due to lack of tax-base to fund roads almost no state highways have shoulders (be they paved or "soft"). Which basically means, cyclists are banned outside city limits on road (since Interstate highways are automatically out).

I know a few guys locally who refuse to ride on roads without shoulders....and within 60 miles of Lincoln there are maybe 2 paved roads/highways.
    40 years ago, almost all roads had no paved shoulders where i lived in SW Ontario. We rode on them just the same without a thought. Albeit it was nicer to plan rides to be on back roads. Was the 80s before I started seeing roads and streets being made with paved shoulders. I still ride on busy roads without shoulders and not terrible worried about it. In fact I have one by my house I have to ride on to get anywhere. Though I live just outside a super-bike-friendly mid size west coast city, where drivers are generally very bike friendly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't know nothing about their IQ's, but as a cyclist I'm treated fairly by most HD riders around here. I haven't been buzzed by one, have spoken while waiting a light and have even been waved to as a brother on two wheels. Haven't received that kind of respect by anyone on a crotch rocket.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Don't know nothing about their IQ's, but as a cyclist I'm treated fairly by most HD riders around here. I haven't been buzzed by one, have spoken while waiting a light and have even been waved to as a brother on two wheels. Haven't received that kind of respect by anyone on a crotch rocket.
    I find them to be delta bravos.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is going to suck for all six of Montana's cyclists.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Yes all because of an insecure fat guy that's likely married to his first cousin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Kind of don;t see the HD connection either. Now while I hate the HD guys who use loud pipes (they deserve to meet the grill of a freight truck at WOT), but motorcyclists in general are hyper aware of the risk cars and trucks pose to them. which makes them akin to cyclists. And motorcycles have no difficulty getting around us in traffic.

I suspect the representative proposing the ban on bicycles, is not really a motorcyclist at heart. Just a natural born scumbag.

Poseur
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Is that supposed to be funny? Adventure Cycling is based in Missoula and there are active cycling groups in all the larger cities.
    I like cats, I just can't finish a whole one by myself.

Mountain bike guide
    As a general rule you can't ban types of transportation that otherwise legally exist. There are some who can't afford motor vehicles and as such, are relegated to bicycles or walking. Unless there is a robust public transportation infrastructure, this Bill can easily be struck down as discriminatory to poor people. No politician of any party wants that accusation leveled at them.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    as discriminatory to poor people. No politician of any party wants that accusation leveled at them.
    Oh, I'll believe that !!!!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    If this guy wants to do something useful, he should propose that all of those rural roads get repaved with an appropriate shoulder... you know.. for SAFETY!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Hey I'm fairly red-neck right wing, but this is crap and has nothing to do with either, it's senseless! Pedal bikes are more a part of transportation than some noisy Harley!
    Agree. Just a stupid lawmaker. As much as I liked Mike Bloomberg as NYC mayor, he pushed a law banning soft drinks over 16 oz. It got overturned in the courts. Sometimes a well meaning intention is just nanny state BS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    I'd also bet a bucket of KFC that this dude is fat, like jiggly double chin, mouth breather, BMI above 30 fat..

All of the cycling/road rage I have personally encountered the drivers have been fat. Ya not scientific but that's what my straw poll tells me.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    If this guy wants to do something useful, he should propose that all of those rural roads get repaved with an appropriate shoulder... you know.. for SAFETY!

LOL Montana, like most rural states, doesn't have any money for that. It has a nice hefty projected budget shortfall for 2017.

States like Missouri don't even have money to paint lane-lines and fog-lines on their state highways. MO in fact is distinguished as having the most miles of minimum maintenance road of any state in the union. Goes without saying that their roads suck.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I'd also bet a bucket of KFC that this dude is fat, like jiggly double chin, mouth breather, BMI above 30 fat..

All of the cycling/road rage I have personally encountered the drivers have been fat. Ya not scientific but that's what my straw poll tells me.

Well...

https://barryusherformontana.com/

https://www.facebook.com/BarryUsherf...naStateSenate/

I like how he turns it around into a "bicycle safety issue" with knee jerk legislation and then blames the people he's banning for not willing to just shutup

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Yes all because of an insecure fat guy that's likely married to his first cousin.
    You sound like our President.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Like I said... Perth!
    BANNED

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast