RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

Question Are black helmets hotter?

Well are they?

I am just wondering about the matte black Giro Atmos, will I feel the extra heat? Will the extra vents take care of the heat? Is there extra heat?

Is this a silly question???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2001
    Sounds like an interesting science fair project to me. My guess is that you won't feel much, if any, difference. You essentially have a styrofoam beer cooler between that black shell and your head.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Saw a FAQ column(where color/heat was adressed) by one of the helmet manufacturers years ago and the answer is no, for reason Spoke Wrench said. Maybe it was Specialized....

RoadBikeReview Member

it depends

standing still in the hot sun?,,, yes

riding your bike down the road in the hot sun? I don't think it makes a difference what color your helmet is.

FWIW, I've ridden with white, blue and now a black Pneumo and don't notice a bit of difference.
    are you having fun?...

What if both your hair and helmet are black?

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretai
    Well are they?

I am just wondering about the matte black Giro Atmos, will I feel the extra heat? Will the extra vents take care of the heat? Is there extra heat?

Do you wear anything under the helmet? I wear light colored skull caps/bandanas. I'm not sure if it helps, but it feels cooler.
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

Laying Still

Quote Originally Posted by mr meow meow
    standing still in the hot sun?,,, yes
    Or laying unconscious on the pavement after being hit. I always go for a lighter colored helmet for visibility. We are already invisible to drivers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just painted my white bell helmet black - can't tell a difference. I also wear a white "Halo" brand doo rag under the helmet - mainly to keep from getting tiger stripe tan lines (I shave my head).

Strained coccyx etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmore
    I just painted my white bell helmet black - can't tell a difference. I also wear a white "Halo" brand doo rag under the helmet - mainly to keep from getting tiger stripe tan lines (I shave my head).
    you painted a white helmet black? LOL.

all'z i know is, red helmets are faster, white helmets are more visible, and white helmets painted black weigh more than white helmets au natural.

what kind of paint did you use?

HTH!
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002

Probably so, that's why when it gets really hot

Quote Originally Posted by J's Haiku Shop
    you painted a white helmet black? LOL.

all'z i know is, red helmets are faster, white helmets are more visible, and white helmets painted black weigh more than white helmets au natural.

what kind of paint did you use?

HTH!
    I cover my black Pneumo (which I only wear when I ride my Roubaix with the Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and the special bladed-spoke magnet for my speedo) with tinfoil, which reflects the hot sun off my helmet and also lets me hear The Voices better.

YMMV, of course.

HTH!

Strained coccyx etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEdScott
    I cover my black Pneumo (which I only wear when I ride my Roubaix with the Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and the special bladed-spoke magnet for my speedo) with tinfoil, which reflects the hot sun off my helmet and also lets me hear The Voices better.

YMMV, of course.

HTH!
    guess that just about explains it.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Banned forever.....or not

Only if you wear undies under your helmet

There is always "extra" heat.
    DANGER
    DANGER
    A black helmet will drive you insane. A combination of the sun's rays and the reflected heat from the road will cause your brain to overheat. It would be just like putting your head into a microwave.
    DON'T DO IT..........TRUST ME.......
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep - I knew it was a goofy thing to do but I like black (you should see my bike) and there was a bottle of wine involved. The weight gain is negligeable. ;)

I used a spray paint designed to adhere to plastics. I think there's a couple of different brands that have a spray paint with that feature. Can't remember which one I used - got it at Home Depot though. I've also thought about buying some reflective tape (if I can find some) and taping it in some kind of cool design on the edge of the helmet vents to make it a little more visible....

hi, I'm Larry

I find the TI foil works better

I'm more attune to the voices than most. By the way, tinfoil is old school. They quit making it years ago. I know a lot of folks like alluminium foil, yeah it's light and does a pretty good job keepin them thar voices away. But, Titanium is the best. Light weight, strong and attenuates them voices better than anything I've ever tried.

Sure, I hear a breif whisper of "Kill, KILL , KILLLLLLLLLLL" now and then, but as long as I kept the helmet on 24 hours a day I can keep it under control.

I found it works just as well with a black helmet as a white one.

Quote Originally Posted by OldEdScott

YMMV, of course.

HTH!

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002

Yeah but

Quote Originally Posted by bimini
    I'm more attune to the voices than most. By the way, tinfoil is old school. They quit making it years ago. I know a lot of folks like alluminium foil, yeah it's light and does a pretty good job keepin them thar voices away. But, Titanium is the best. Light weight, strong and attenuates them voices better than anything I've ever tried.

Sure, I hear a breif whisper of "Kill, KILL , KILLLLLLLLLLL" now and then, but as long as I kept the helmet on 24 hours a day I can keep it under control.

I found it works just as well with a black helmet as a white one.
    TIN is made of STEEL and STEEL IS REAL!

My brother-in-law swears by carbonfiberfoil, but I dunno, it gives The Voices a 'dead' sound.

Marco Esquandolas
    actually, a black helmet would be stealthier. especially if it has radar reflexing or absorbing panels glue to the exterior.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretai
    Well are they?

The proper answer to your question is, yes, black helmets are slightly "hotter," due to their greater UV absorption, but the negligible increase in temperature from this is more than offset by the cooling effect of the greater volume of air flowing over the helmet, this airflow being generated by the higher speed associated with riding a helmet in a faster (i.e., "more cool") color. That's why black is known as such a "cool" color.

Actually, I'll wear a black helmet 'cause they're so slimming and they match the chain...

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles

Wink

They are hot ... chicks dig 'em, but not as much as purple ones.

Hole Puncher!
    Jun 2003
    Not hot - keep moving.
    Just pluggin along...

Daylight Fading

Are the voices male or female?

If I heard voices and they were female, I'd work to turn them UP. Unless it's that annoying factory installed car "femoid" voice.

(In that voice) Your left crank is creaking, your left crank is creaking, ......

That would drive me crazy.

BT
    "If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts." A. Duritz

Strained coccyx etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebob
    If I heard voices and they were female, I'd work to turn them UP. Unless it's that annoying factory installed car "femoid" voice.

(In that voice) Your left crank is creaking, your left crank is creaking, ......

That would drive me crazy.

BT
    this has become the thread that wouldn't die, but should have died, long past.

do you think the white bell helmet i spray painted black is hotter than other colors?

LOL

Island Hopping cyclist
    Depends on how well the helmet ventilates. The plastic cover actually reflects heat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

The thread that wouldn't die!

Do I get a toaster or something for that?

Anyway, I want to thank all you witty and funny fellows for your input.

Reading this forum has revealed the quirky rules and regulations that are the cyclist's style. This response to the "Black Question" proves it!