RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Blackburn AirTower 4 vs 5 Floor Pump

Can anybody comment on the operating differences between the Blackburn AirTower 4 vs. AirTower 5 Floor Pump? The 5 is about $40 more and is it $40 better?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a Blackburn 4. It pumps easily and reliably. Can't imagine what the 5 would do better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I think the pump stuff, along with many things in cycling, are strictly marketing. I got a hurricane floor pump from performance and it has been flawless. 7-8 pumps gets my tires to where they need to be and its convenient. Maybe I'm wrong, but I cant justify paying 4x more considering the end result will be exactly the same. Maybe it will take me 2 less pumps, if even.

I would go with the cheaper one if I were you, even though my post is a bit OT.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had a cheap $20 floor pump with a gauge I had bought from Target years ago. That worked fine.

I got the Blackburn 4 a few weeks ago after the old pump's gauge finally broke. The 4 works fine too. The Blackburn 4 works a bit more smoothly and has a sturdy base. I really don't see the need to spend $40 more on the 5 unless it pumps the tires on its own.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    I just bought a 5 and just love it. It does not pump the tires itself, but it actually makes pumping a tire a little fun. It is awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I think the diff is the Airtower 5 is c.f.

I skipped on a Blackburn this time around and went with a Specialized Air Tool Pro.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    For some reason I haven't bought a specialized bike, though I know they are good. They do make great accessories, though. How is the pump?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Good pump

Quote Originally Posted by vsimmons
    For some reason I haven't bought a specialized bike, though I know they are good. They do make great accessories, though. How is the pump?

My LBS had a good selection on floor pumps. I looked at all of them and like the looks of the Air Tool Pro. It looks like a piece of art. Polished aluminum with an ergo designed handle, oversized guage, bleed off valve, dual lock head for presta or schrader. It looks nice just sitting in my garage. They only had one left, so people must be buying them. It was a few dollars less than a Blackburn Air Tower 4.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    I think Specialized makes quality stuff. Their shoes are among the best, light, comfortable, great insole support, they have a good selection of saddles, they have some very functional clothing with some unique features.

BUT I don't like their pumps. I have used several of their pumps "borrowed" at rides and I could never find a pump that I liked or worked right. Many of them leaked air from the valve. It has to do with the head. If I have to pick one brand that I have more experience with and the most "problems" with, it's Specialized.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

No probs for me

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence
    I think Specialized makes quality stuff. Their shoes are among the best, light, comfortable, great insole support, they have a good selection of saddles, they have some very functional clothing with some unique features.

BUT I don't like their pumps. I have used several of their pumps "borrowed" at rides and I could never find a pump that I liked or worked right. Many of them leaked air from the valve. It has to do with the head. If I have to pick one brand that I have more experience with and the most "problems" with, it's Specialized.

I imagine that Specialized changed their valves. It could not be easier to use. I was going to buy another Blackburn, but decided on the Specialized. Maybe you could test out a couple of floor pumps at your LBS. Or just get a Silca Super Pista. All the parts are replaceable. You will never have to buy another pump.