RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

Blue RC4 or Cannondale Caad 8 optimo 1?

First post here.

So I got into cycling last summer. Bought a 2002 Marin Verona for $400. Problem is that its a 52CM bike, and I am 5'11. If it was my size I might just upgrade from the 105 component set.

I am getting into triathlons this summer, and am very stoked about doing so. I have my first one short one Sunday. But I think I should probably get a lighter bike, as the '02 Marin weighs like 26 pounds.

Looking between a 2007 Cannondale Caad 8 (optimo 1) 54 CM for $700, or a Blue RC4 M/L size for $1000. The Caad 8 comes with a garmin computer and two sets of shimano wheels, and is 25% less than the Blue, which is all Carbon Fiber...

I look to be doing triathlons for years to come, so my gut is telling me to spend the extra money in getting the carbon fiber bike. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!

haole from the mainland
    Bike's gotta fit to be a good deal.

vexatious enigma
    Forget about what it's made of. Carbon will only make the ride comfortable but it wont do a thing if it doesnt fit you properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    The person agreed to come down to $925. I want to get this Blue bike because it is a larger frame than my Marin and it is better quality.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Go with the better fit. Both are excellent bikes.
    I have a BLUE RC6 and love it. The CADD 8 is a very nice all aluminum bike.
    The RC 4 is NOT CF. Just the seatstays are. New retail on that bike was $1099

Its a GREAT frame. But so is the Cdale.

If the fit is between both bikes is the same, go with the one that your like better. I almost would say go with the Cdale because of the GPS and Extra wheels. Unless those items are really used.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin