RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Booties for XXL feet

So I am in need of cycling booties. The problem is I wear a size 48 and am having great difficulty finding a bootie which will fit. So far I have tried the following and have had no luck:
    Pearl Izumi Barriers xxl
    Giordan Sotto zero xl (they don't make xxl)
    Gore Oxygen and Race Power Thermo size xl (don;t make xxl)

At this time I don't really care about price, just looking for a winter bootie for 30's F, preferably with some wind block or stopping characteristics.
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    $50 sugoi ones at rei will work. They are pretty thin , but will fit
    I wear a 48 too. This is the only one I found. (of course there may be others)

Roll Model
    I wear a 47, we went through a lot at the LBS and ended up with Pearl Izumi mountain bike booties XXL. They were the only ones that would fit and get my cleat through, I have had them for a while so I don't have a model or anything...

Good luck!
    "Science has proven that if you have one flat on your bike, you will have another one, sooner or later. This is the reason that you should always buy a new bike when you get a flat." Mr Grumpy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks, I'll look into both options. If anyone has found any others which work, please reply.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I have Trek booties, in 47-48 (I wear 47). They fit pretty easily on my road shoes, but for my more MTB-ish commuter shoes, it's a tight squeeze (more in width than length). Paid about $40.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I also wear 48 wide. Get these http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1082829_-1___ They not only fit but IME they're the warmest you can get. I ride all year in N. Ohio. I have a pair that's over 10 years old & they're still going strong. They're also easy on/off.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Forget the booties. I've got big feet too and after buying several pairs of booties only to find that they were too tight, too thin, or not just right, I bought a pair of winter shoes. One of the best cycing purchases I've made. Ended up with a pair of size 50 Sidi winter shoes. Never give my feet a thought anymore on cold rides.

Think of all the money you'll save if you skip buying different brands of booties trying to get one that finally fits. Buy the winter shoes instead.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve D
    Forget the booties. I've got big feet too and after buying several pairs of booties only to find that they were too tight, too thin, or not just right, I bought a pair of winter shoes. One of the best cycing purchases I've made. Ended up with a pair of size 50 Sidi winter shoes. Never give my feet a thought anymore on cold rides.

Think of all the money you'll save if you skip buying different brands of booties trying to get one that finally fits. Buy the winter shoes instead.
    +1 on the winter shoes. Yeah, they're not cheap, but they last forever and are so much easier to deal with than booties. I don't think they're much warmer than booties, but the hassle-less factor alone is worth it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    I have size 48 feet as well. I tried the Performance booties but it took a huge effort to stretch them over my shoes and one of the zippers eventually broke.. At the advice of a riding buddy, I ended up getting the XXL Road Booty from Gator Sports. http://www.gatorgear.biz/cyclingbooties.html It rarely gets lower than 30 degrees where I live, so the Road Buddy works fine for me. For really cold riding, the Road Booty Deluxe would probably foot the bill. They are still a bit of a stretch to get on but they are way warmer and more water proof than the Performance booties.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboyz
    I have size 48 feet as well. I tried the Performance booties but it took a huge effort to stretch them over my shoes and one of the zippers eventually broke.. At the advice of a riding buddy, I ended up getting the XXL Road Booty from Gator Sports. http://www.gatorgear.biz/cyclingbooties.html It rarely gets lower than 30 degrees where I live, so the Road Buddy works fine for me. For really cold riding, the Road Booty Deluxe would probably foot the bill. They are still a bit of a stretch to get on but they are way warmer and more water proof than the Performance booties.
    This. I am usually a 48 or 49. I have used a pair of Gator's for several years now. Slip easily on my velcro only shoes and reasonably well onto my ratchet shoes. The most impressive thing about these is that the zipper works perfectly even after at least a hundred on/off's.

As far as warmth, I have ridden all winter here in CT with temps down to the low teens. With a pair of wool socks and lining the insoles of my shoes in aluminum foil (prevent air entry from below), my feet are usually quite comfortable until the 2 hr mark....then they do get cold. If temps are 30 and above, I am easily fine for 4 hrs.

Hanging 10 bra
    I wear 48's and have 3 sets of booties. One set of cannondale thin material, probably mostly wind breaker stuff, then have the Pearl Izumi stretch material and then I have some neoprene ones. They all fit snug and perfect in my eyes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    I'm in a pair of 48's. When it got cold, I went down to the local shop & got a pair of Bontrager neoprene booties. They fit just fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I have Northwave shoes and ordered a pair of their booties out of Germany. I first contacted northwave USA and had no luck. My lbs had nothing that worked and the other shops around had no luck either mainly due to it being late in the season.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wear a 48 also. My old PI booties were much harder to get on than my new ones - difference design. Couple "tricks" I use...
    - I don't take them off the shoe; just peel them back to the second buckle
    - Leave the shoes/booties on a floor vent/register the night before the ride; makes them much more pliable - and your feet start off nice and toasty.