Thread: Brake Pads

Slippery Old Devil

Brake Pads

Need input. Guy at LBS just scratches his head. I have two bikes with Campy brakes. One has Campy rims, the other Velocity. The bike with Velocity rims has major moxy in the anchor department even though the pads are ancient. The braking on the Campy rims is . Both are clean (pads & rims). It's weird that one bike has, literally, 3 times the stopping power.

banned
    Cable needs adjusting probably on the bike with less stopping power. Just a guess.

Slippery Old Devil
    Both bikes are adjusted the same.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    I have found that housing makes alot of difference in power. Maybe its just me but it does seem to be better with better housing.

waterproof*
    You need some Campy rim polish. Check the website, it's in one of the spare parts catalogues.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Sleep Expert
    Have you tried the same pads on both rims? There are different compounds. My Ultegra pads are stopping amazingly well with about 3000 miles on them. The Kool Stop salmons I put on another build got glazed up after about 500 miles. It could also have been oils that soaked into the pads too...
    My carbon footprint has cleats

Slippery Old Devil
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    I have found that housing makes alot of difference in power. Maybe its just me but it does seem to be better with better housing.
    Normally I'd look at that, but I just changed to new Centaur PowerShift levers which come with new high quality cable and housing and the braking didn't improve......the shifting is fantastic, but the braking is the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oily666 View Post
    Need input. Guy at LBS just scratches his head. I have two bikes with Campy brakes. One has Campy rims, the other Velocity. The bike with Velocity rims has major moxy in the anchor department even though the pads are ancient. The braking on the Campy rims is . Both are clean (pads & rims). It's weird that one bike has, literally, 3 times the stopping power.
    De-glazed both the rims and the pads. Use sandpaper to remove any glazing on the pads and a ScotchBrite (or equivalent) scrubber to go over the braking surfaces on the rims. Also try a "thumb nail penetration test" on the respective brake pads to see if perhaps the pads are different. While I have had no problems with Campy pads on numerous different rims, this would be an obvious time to try something like a KoolStop Salmon or some SwissStop pads.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous View Post
    Cable needs adjusting probably on the bike with less stopping power. Just a guess.
    wanna explain how that would 1) get missed, and 2) how it would actually make a difference?
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have you tried to swap the wheels between bikes. Might tell you if it's the rims or the pads that ain't workin'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is unlikely, but it happened to me so I'll share it. Examine the pads to see if they actually are marked "Campagnolo." I bought a used bike with Campy brakes but it didn't stop as well as my other Campy equipped bike. After trying everything I tried changing the pads out of desperation. That's when I noticed the new pads had Campagnolo printed on the back, and the old ones did not. Prior owner (or shop) had installed cheap knock-offs. Indistinguishable without removing pads from holders.

Slippery Old Devil
    Thanks Kerry. I do that on a fairly regular basis. The hardness of the pads appears to be equal. The ones that work well on the Velocity rims, are the old HPB blocks which you just toss when they wear out. The others are the same as Campy still uses.

Slippery Old Devil
    Pads are original from Campy.

Slippery Old Devil
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Have you tried to swap the wheels between bikes. Might tell you if it's the rims or the pads that ain't workin'.
    I'm going to try that tomorrow.