RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

Which Brand Bib Shorts - for large waist?

My waist is now at 42". My regular shorts creep down below my belly so I need to get my first set of Bib Top Shorts. A few guys in my club who race say that Assos from Switzerland have the best comfort fit and profile. Though they are real expensive.

What other bib shorts are suitable for a large waist? I am 5/10" in height. I do long rides and a fair amount of climbing.

Sleep Expert
    Ty different ones out and see what you like. Assos is supposed to be the best, and I'm considering getting some soon. I've heard equally good things about DeSoto, and they're my favorite of all the ones I own. Believe it or not, my Nashbar shorts are also very comfy. For a value bib, check out Performance Bike. I hear nothing but good about them, and they're not expensive.
    I used to recommend Sugoi, but not these days. Most people are happy with them though.
    My carbon footprint has cleats

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I'm your size - 5'10", 42 inch waist. I have two pairs of Pearl Izumi that I wear a lot. I also have 1 pair of Twin Six and 1 pair of Champion Systems (cycling club kit). All are XXL and they all fit fine. I tend to wear the Pearl Izumi's more than the others and they do well on 30 to 60 mile rides.

I'm hoping in the next month or so I'll be in the market for some XL bibs!

- I -
    Assos TIR size? There may be some sales on Assos now, so they won't be super premium. That may just be on tights and knickers though. You'll have to look around.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I wear TIR size Assos Bib Shorts, the F1 Uno and love them.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Performance elite. They're excellent bibs. Performance Elite Bib Shorts - Lycra Cycling Shorts

I tried the Ultras-didn't like them as well.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    At the other end of the expense spectrum, is Aerotech Designs. They have bib shorts starting from $60 and in sizes up to 5XL (54-56" waist). They sell bibs from several other companies as well.

I've found their house brand shorts and bibs to be excellent. The sizing is true, and their return/exchange policy is very fair with rapid turnaround.

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    I just ordered a pair Louis Garneau XXL bibs and they seem to fit very nice and I don't feel so constricted. I am 5'11" 245lbs. and wear between a 38-40 pant
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2014 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2013 Fuji Finest 1.1C (Wife's)

I Love PAIN
    Otherwise Nashbar's bibs run pretty wide. I got the XL and the thigh is HUGE.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I have almost all Assos, Milles and the racing F.X.13.91.etc. But I also got a pair of Rapha bib shorts and find them to be slightly more comfy (while the chamois from Assos is a little better).

I know they are expensive, but don't scrimp on your shorts, especially if you're doing longer climbs. Your butt is going to be working left and right across the saddle, you want to make sure you have a pair of shorts that won't rub you the wrong way.

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I have a pretty good collection of different brands. Descente have a very strechy waist compared to most of the others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks to all of you. The Garneau and Descente sound interesting. But since these will be my last pair of bibs, I might just fork over the $380+ for some Assos and consider myself lucky.

A pair of Assos my size (used) turned up on eBay, so I may just go for those instead of buying new.