Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Bright rear red light

I am using the Bontrager Flare R Rear Bike Light. 65 lunes.
    What is the brightest rear light?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Hopefully you don't ride in groups. You might cause multiple riders to stroke out if it's just bright and not properly focused.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    and drunk drivers aim for them unintentionally.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the Cygolight hotshot. real bright and reliable. Though one bounced off my wife's bike last week and was promptly crushed under a car. not cheap though
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    I like the Cygolight hotshot. real bright and reliable. Though one bounced off my wife's bike last week and was promptly crushed under a car. not cheap though
    I have several of these, and have always really liked them, however, I've decided to move to lights that don't require mounts on the frame. Mine also had the older USB connector for the charge port. I think they are the only thing I have left that forces me to keep those cables around.

I prefer lights that use a rubber strap to mount on the seatpost and charge with Micro USB, USB C, etc...

the Knog Blinder series is good

https://www.knog.com.au/bike-lights/...l?___store=usd

As is the Bontrager Flare-R the OP mentioned. (65 lumens is pretty damned bright for a rear light)

They are both plenty bright enough and have all of the modes I need.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks guys, has anyone tried this light? SENTINEL™ 150

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tv264@aol.com View Post
    https://www.orfos.us

Happy with my "Flare"...still waiting for my "Flare Pro" after a year +. Not sure if anyone else has similar rear beam pattern as orfos.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You didn't specify, but cxwrench's point is legit - don't ride with a group with one of those super bright taillights. I think 65 lumens is the max for groups - and that assumes the light is angled correctly, e.g. level; not up. If you're commuting, well &#$! it, get the space shuttle's tail lights.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have both a Cateye Rapid 5 and LD610. Very effective and a lot of mounting options.

Rear lights tend to be out of sight and mind. Make sure you keep up with the battery if you want to maintain brightness.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks guys, has anyone tried this light? SENTINEL™ 150
    I don't have the Sentinel 150, but I have their Solas 150, and it's one of the brightest if not the brightest rear light currently on the market.

banned
    Apr 2012
    Hi tv264,

I'm not going to insult you (you know, become one of those: "I-have-nothing-better-to-add-so-I'll-make-an-idiot-comment-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-your-question-plus-I'll-chastise-you-for-possibly-not-being-a-considerate-rider" posters).....but I and a lot of others I've seen in the clubs here in Belgium have had good luck with the Cygolite Hotshots.

Cygolite Hotshots take a serious beating, even over pave', and still seem to keep going. The 100 and 150 lumen models, when you're heading home and/or out riding alone, are popular here. Reason is that they are nice & visible even during a sunny day. Have had people tell me they can see me up to a km away. When driving I've too seen some mates with them and I can see them from a similar distance as I approach.

But, all this said, don't think that your Flare is bad. A high lumen rating is not everything in a light. Stuff like the shape of the lens, and thus the light dispersion pattern, matters a lot (that old "throw light far & narrow versus short & wide). Riders have the Flare here to, and in the mornings and/or evenings, if that is your riding time(s), the Flare is a nice light. It seems your fixated on the lumen thing: a lot of us also ride with 300-500 lumen front flashing white lights (imho, Light & Motion cannot be beat here) but I honestly could not imagine that kind of lumen power in the rear. I'm sure someone out there has that kind of rear lumen power, but have personally not seen it.

Good luck in your rear light quest!

RoadBikeReview Member
    not sure what the brightest light is, but another rec for Cygolite Hotrods.

suitably bright, compact design, USB, inexpensive, good batt life (especially on 'slow flash')...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a PDW (Portland Design Works) Radbot 1000. Very bright and it is part reflector which also helps. It uses AAA batteries (I use Eneloop rechargeable) and I also have several mounts, including an aero seat post mount, for several of my bikes so I just move the light from bike to bike as needed (Planet bike sells a compatible mount). Works great for several years now. Very bright!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Bontrager Flare R is my choice. You can have a 2000 lumen light if you want,but if the lens sucks the whole light will suck. The Flare R at 65 lumen may not seems that powerful,but it has an excellent lens.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post
    I'm not going to insult you (you know, become one of those: "I-have-nothing-better-to-add-so-I'll-make-an-idiot-comment-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-your-question-plus-I'll-chastise-you-for-possibly-not-being-a-considerate-rider" posters).....
    Whew. Thank God we've got the Belgian hammer here to teach us all how to post.

I've had a Cygolite Hotshot for a couple years - it's holding a charge like new. Great light.

Road Warrior
    I recommend the night rider sentential 150, it has seven modes and a low setting for the group ride!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a few Cygolite hotshots for my bright light on the rear - very reliable, very bright, long lasting rechargable battery, and they focussed tightly so you can point them straight back and not blind riders behind you in a group ride but still very visible to drivers. Also have a Garmin Varia rear which is not as bright be super nice to have for both the rider and making sure drivers see you when they approach.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Just curious, do some of you really have an issue with a flashing rear light during the DAY? I only find them to be annoying during the night when there are glares. But during the day, I don't have any issue with any rear flashing light. But judging from some responses here, some of us are going into seizure. The more annoying thing to me are the bright front lights that just seem to blind people at night. But even bright front lights don't seem to bother me if it's used during the day either. But one time I had my front light on (Cygolight 800) and a guy was coming towards me the the opposite direction, and this was during high noon summertime, so the sun was searing bright, and yet, the guy used his hand to shield the left side of his face as if to let me know that my light was blinding him, and get this, he was wearing shades too. I was like really dude.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Just curious, do some of you really have an issue with a flashing rear light during the DAY? I only find them to be annoying during the night when there are glares. But during the day, I don't have any issue with any rear flashing light. But judging from some responses here, some of us are going into seizure. The more annoying thing to me are the bright front lights that just seem to blind people at night. But even bright front lights don't seem to bother me if it's used during the day either. But one time I had my front light on (Cygolight 800) and a guy was coming towards me the the opposite direction, and this was during high noon summertime, so the sun was searing bright, and yet, the guy used his hand to shield the left side of his face as if to let me know that my light was blinding him, and get this, he was wearing shades too. I was like really dude.
    Only at night for me. Night rides are primarily Tuesday worlds or something similar so we are riding relatively close behind...I always use the dimmest setting and steady. When riding home solo I go back to flashing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    not sure what the brightest light is, but another rec for Cygolite Hotrods.
    Another vote for the Cygolite Hotrod - specifically the Hotrod 50:

https://www.rei.com/product/895618/c...ear-bike-light

Great tail light that has 6 lighting modes from a very bright flash to a slow twinkle. The big reason I like this one better than the Hotshot is that the Hotrod is completed red. The Hotshot is clear in the middle and can be quite annoying to ride behind. Not to mention anything in back should be red. It recharges with a USB cable and can last me 4 or 5 long rides before I need to charge it again. It warns you when the battery is getting low by flickering when you turn it off.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Just curious, do some of you really have an issue with a flashing rear light during the DAY?
    I've bailed on a couple of group rides because a couple dozen blindingly bright red lights in front of me was more than my poor eyeballs could handle...

yeah, I could htfu, but eff that...I'll just ride solo and avoid the retina damage.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Another vote for the Cygolite Hotrod - specifically the Hotrod 50:

https://www.rei.com/product/895618/c...ear-bike-light

I like this one better than the Hotshot is that the Hotrod is completed red. The Hotshot is clear in the middle and can be quite annoying to ride behind. Not to mention anything in back should be red.
    The hotshot middle lens is clear but the light it projects is red - not sure how they do this but it does. I've never had a problem riding behind them unless someone has it angled up a little then it's blinding!
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks guys, you made some good points. I’m thinking another flare on my helmet.
    So when I swing my head at intersections, the light on my helmet will be visible to cars left and right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I had two flare Rs. Both let water in. After a time, they would not turn off. Then they would not charge.

I now have blackburn 2fers. For $25 each, they are a better alternative than a $75 light that does not last more than a season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast