RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013

Unhappy Broken trainer... Any suggestions?

I bought this trainer used years ago (around 2004) and never had any issues with it. A few days ago one of the screws that holds the bike in place broke (see photo). I've been searching online for any information on this trainer to buy replacement parts, but I can't find anything. The sticker on the side says "Top Gear FX 7000 Magturbo". Google brings up nothing. Any ideas or suggestions on what I can do to fix my trainer? I just bought a bike 2 days ago and it's been raining outside, so with my trainer out of commission you can imagine my anxiety.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broken trainer... Any suggestions?-imag4571.jpg   Broken trainer... Any suggestions?-imag4570.jpg   Broken trainer... Any suggestions?-imag4572.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Epoxy and a couple of hose clamps should get you through this season. Buy a new one for next year.
    People sleep peaceably at night because rough men and woman stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Oregon Bike MS 2013 Team Matfam

RoadBikeReview Member
    You had it 9 years give or take, it was used. You could probably get a new one or a new used one off ebay for less trouble than searching for the replacement part.

The Slow One.
    1.) Toss it and buy a LeMond Revolution. Or hit up Craigslist and buy another trainer.
    2.) Go ride in the rain. You and your bike won't melt. I get to ride on pavement about 6 months out of the year, and much of that is in the rain (think Belgium). I only stop when the rain turns to significant ice and snow, and then I retreat to the trainer. To have a choice and not ride on the road blows my mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matfam View Post
    Epoxy and a couple of hose clamps should get you through this season. Buy a new one for next year.
    Good ideas. JBWeld is probably the strongest epoxy available for this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... unsure of the base metals involved, but don't discount refabrication (many a welder would give it a go for peanuts and there are more machinists and toolmakers around than most folks realize (I worked in a factory and am used to on the fly fabrications)...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Please don't try to epoxy it or strap it with clamps. Go get a trainer. That is what anchors you and the bike. You will fall. You've gotten more than your money out of this one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    That design is very similar to many other trainers, including the Kurt Kinetic models. I'd contact Kurt Kinetic and see if you could purchase just that piece as a replacement. View their models on their web site and you'll see the design. They connect to the threaded shaft the same way, with an internal bolt.

You could also try searching on eBay for a complete trainer on auction. I often see trainer FRAMES sold without the resistance unit, so you could possibly acquire one and strip it for the parts you need. The brand you buy isn't that important; so many use virtually the same design that parts are interchangeable.

Lastly, 9 years for a trainer of that quality isn't bad, especially since you bought it used. I would suggest you replace it. Here's what I just did last night: I'd been bidding on Kurt Kinetic Road Machines on eBay all winter, and have lost 10 consecutive auctions. I finally won an auction last night, paying roughly 1/2 of a new unit, and that includes shipping!

People who are suited for riding trainers constantly unload them, and now's the time of year to hunt one down on eBay. The Kurt Kinetic is built for a lifetime of abuse and are an even better bargain purchased used.

Check Craigslist, too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Yes, get out on the road
    Latest offers available <here>

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    I'm not tossing a perfectly good trainer just because of that. Especially after paying so much money for it ($1.00 on eBay) and having it for so little time (only 9 years!).

I ended up fixing it with Quick Steel and a metal clamp. So far, so good. If it breaks, and I can't find a replacement or fabricate the part myself, I'll get another used trainer. Unless I fall and break a hip. In that case I'll sell whatever is left of the bike and use the money as down payment for a wheel chair.

Thanks for all the suggestions!