RoadBikeReview Member

Brooks Cambium Saddle

Has anybody here tried one? What did you think?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Huge in Japan
    I have a regular (no cutout, natural color) one and I like it. I noticed that for me it is visibly tipped at a different angle than my other saddles for best comfort. A friend has the one with the cutout and it has more compliance but I don't know if that more compliance will lead to an eventual failure point in the future or not but none the less if fells like it has more give. I know that you know this but saddles are like shoes when it comes to personal preference.

Maybe someone else can comment on the color fast of them, I haven't had any issues but I want to say I have heard of folks having the non-natural ones 'bleed' color onto their shorts so to speak. Then again all of my shorts are black so I would probably never notice.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by craiger_ny View Post
    ...I haven't had any issues but I want to say I have heard of folks having the non-natural ones 'bleed' color onto their shorts so to speak. Then again all of my shorts are black so I would probably never notice.
    Seems these might be tough on shorts in general over time as the cover appears mildly abrasive?
    Discover The Source for Legitimate, Patent Technology Muscle, Fitness
    and Sports Supplements.

Best Pricing on serious cyclist favorites like 'SportLegs', 'Kre-Alkalyn'
    and 'Burn It Up' with Peak ATP.

http://www.BodyBuildingSupplements.com

Since 1993, Your Success is our success.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got about 10,000 miles on one and I really like it, but...

The burlap, or cotton cloth that is bonded to the saddle ripped and separated towards the nose of the saddle at about 2000 miles. The rubber hasn't ripped but the separation of the cloth has grown. When I got this saddle there were reports of the rubber tearing through also, but mine hasn't yet and they must have corrected the issue because I haven't heard those reports since then. The tear is right behind the nose support block, whatever the proper name would be.

I'm about 185lbs, don't know if the issue would rear it's head if I was lighter, but thought that I'd mention it.

I've been watching it closely and the tear in the material is growing, rather slowly, but the rubber hasn't shown any signs of tearing yet. I've been watching for a bang-up sale to get a replacement, because I like it enough that it will be replaced if/when it comes apart, but I haven't seen a good enough sale to buy a saddle I don't need yet.

I pretty much check it before and after every ride. Don't want it failing during a ride, that could hurt.

Couple pictures.

Brooks Cambium Saddle-img_1403.jpgBrooks Cambium Saddle-img_1404.jpg

P.S.

It's a black saddle and has faded some and shows signs of wear, but the color hasn't washed out as bad as I've heard happening to some.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I've got about 10,000 miles on one and I really like it, but...

The burlap, or cotton cloth that is bonded to the saddle ripped and separated towards the nose of the saddle at about 2000 miles. The rubber hasn't ripped but the separation of the cloth has grown. When I got this saddle there were reports of the rubber tearing through also, but mine hasn't yet and they must have corrected the issue because I haven't heard those reports since then. The tear is right behind the nose support block, whatever the proper name would be.

I'm about 185lbs, don't know if the issue would rear it's head if I was lighter, but thought that I'd mention it.

I've been watching it closely and the tear in the material is growing, rather slowly, but the rubber hasn't shown any signs of tearing yet. I've been watching for a bang-up sale to get a replacement, because I like it enough that it will be replaced if/when it comes apart, but I haven't seen a good enough sale to buy a saddle I don't need yet.

I pretty much check it before and after every ride. Don't want it failing during a ride, that could hurt.

Couple pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1403.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	319133Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1404.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	319134

P.S.

It's a black saddle and has faded some and shows signs of wear, but the color hasn't washed out as bad as I've heard happening to some.
    I have heard some reports of the burlap tearing. What I find interesting in your case is WHERE it ripped. The nose isn't a place where there is contact from your arse. But then again, I noticed one of my Serfas Rx saddles ripped here as well. Don't know what's up with that.

Quote Originally Posted by askmass View Post
    Seems these might be tough on shorts in general over time as the cover appears mildly abrasive?
    Potential wardrobe malfunction?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    I briefly tried one and did not care for it. It did not seem as flexible as I would have hoped and the shape was not comfortable for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I have heard some reports of the burlap tearing. What I find interesting in your case is WHERE it ripped. The nose isn't a place where there is contact from your arse. But then again, I noticed one of my Serfas Rx saddles ripped here as well. Don't know what's up with that.
    Looking at the construction of the saddle explains the placement of the rip. The saddle rails are connected to a frame in the rear and the "support nose" in the front which support the saddle, much as a hammock is hung. The tear happens right behind the nose piece where, it seems to me, the most stress is. If the saddle rails are held with the fingers and the saddle is pressed down with the thumbs the flex behind the "nose support" is easily seen and that is why I mentioned my weight. The rear frame supports more of the saddle whereas the "nose support" is a small area that the saddle is hanging off.

Pics of the nose piece, where the rip happens, and the rear support frame, which supports a much larger area. The nose piece looks to be 2 pieces which are assembled after the saddle is "riveted" and then mounted to the forward frame rails. The saddle then looks to be "stretched" and "riveted" to the rear frame.

Brooks Cambium Saddle-img_1408.jpgBrooks Cambium Saddle-img_1407.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looking at the construction of the saddle explains the placement of the rip. The saddle rails are connected to a frame in the rear and the "support nose" in the front which support the saddle, much as a hammock is hung. The tear happens right behind the nose piece where, it seems to me, the most stress is. If the saddle rails are held with the fingers and the saddle is pressed down with the thumbs the flex behind the "nose support" is easily seen and that is why I mentioned my weight. The rear frame supports more of the saddle whereas the "nose support" is a small area that the saddle is hanging off.

Pics of the nose piece, where the rip happens, and the rear support frame, which supports a much larger area. The nose piece looks to be 2 pieces which are assembled after the saddle is "riveted" and then mounted to the forward frame rails. The saddle then looks to be "stretched" and "riveted" to the rear frame.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1408.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	319135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1407.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	319136

Ahhh, OK. Makes sense now.

-- Warren Buffett

Huge in Japan
    If you think that you are ready to pull the trigger make sure you are cool with the price of the matching bar tape if you want to go that route...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by craiger_ny View Post
    If you think that you are ready to pull the trigger make sure you are cool with the price of the matching bar tape if you want to go that route...
    Naahhh. As long as my bar tape matches my tires, I'm good.

-- Warren Buffett

Huge in Japan
    I wondered the same at first but even though the saddle has texture it is also quite slippery so to speak. I only have about 5,000ish or so miles on mine so I don't believe I have enough time to say whether or not I've experienced any premature wear on shorts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It hasn't shown any undue wear on any of my shorts. The material is imbedded into the rubber so not very abrasive at all. It adds texture is all, probably less abrasive than a suede saddle.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    It hasn't shown any undue wear on any of my shorts. The material is imbedded into the rubber so not very abrasive at all. It adds texture is all, probably less abrasive than a suede saddle.
    I am guessing that by the time shorts get worn out due to abrasion from the saddle, the chamois will be shot anyway.

One of the things I like about the design of it is texture. I am guessing that helps prevent the annoying feeling of sliding around.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am guessing that by the time shorts get worn out due to abrasion from the saddle, the chamois will be shot anyway.

One of the things I like about the design of it is texture. I am guessing that helps prevent the annoying feeling of sliding around.
    I don't find myself sliding around under effort, but the texture isn't so aggressive that I can't move on the saddle when wanted.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't find myself sliding around under effort, but the texture isn't so aggressive that I can't move on the saddle when wanted.

One issue I often have is sliding forward unless I tilt the saddle nose very slightly upward, which can sometimes cause numbness. There is a very narrow "sweet spot" where usually neither of these happens, but it's not an always or never thing.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    One issue I often have is sliding forward unless I tilt the saddle nose very slightly upward, which can sometimes cause numbness. There is a very narrow "sweet spot" where usually neither of these happens, but it's not an always or never thing.
    My saddle tilts a up a small bit but I can't get it level without going to far, the single bolt S-65 seat post won't let me level it out like I would like. I am comfortable, but have gotten myself an S-83 2 bolt post to try it level, but haven't mounted the new post yet. (both Nitto posts)

I don't know if I will be happy with it level, but if not I can put it back, and prefer a 2 bolt clamp anyway.
    Too old to ride plastic

Road Warrior
    The saddle was surprising tough and well-made but it’s a little more rounded than what’s comfortable for me, I prefer a much flatter saddle. After a couple of years it showed a little fraying on the back end from contact with the road/flipping the bike onto the seat/bars/upside down to remove/install the front tire and bag the gears before stuffing it into the car, which should be expected. I have to admit that I really like the charcoal color as it matched the Ti bike.