Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Crash Test Dummy
    Feb 2012

Building a home bike shop

My Spring project for this year is to finally build a small shop in the back yard. Due to space constraints it has to be pretty small, probably 8'x12'. It will have 110 electrical and internet. Besides the basics, i.e. hand tools and repair stand, what are some important tools or design ideas that I should consider? Our house doesn't have a garage so it will be nice to finally be able to work on bikes in a dedicated space instead of the dining room. My wife has requested that I attach a chicken coop to the back side. How very Portland of her...

I play for keeps
    Mini-fridge and/or kegerator

TV

maybe a 'No Loafing' or similar poster per StrongBad - Compy 386!!

Matnlely Dregaend
    Insulation. Hooks to hang stuff. Shelves for parts. Bins for smaller parts. A magnet to find and pick up those small parts after you drop them. Good lighting. Add more lighting after you think you have good lighting. Antiseize (or an impact gun).
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Brifter" is the coolest cycling word

Crash Test Dummy
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by locustfist View Post
    Mini-fridge

TV
    I count those as part of the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    Insulation. Hooks to hang stuff. Shelves for parts. Bins for smaller parts. A magnet to find and pick up those small parts after you drop them. Good lighting. Add more lighting after you think you have good lighting. Antiseize (or an impact gun).
    I plan on fully insulating and sheet-rocking. Lighting is definitely an important consideration. We are remodeling the kitchen so some of the old cabinets will wind up in the shop. I've managed to collect a good assortment of small bins and tubs working as an electrician for 15 years. Plus I'm anally retentive about keeping my stuff organized and labeled. It will be connected to the home security system and I'll have a security camera on it.
    Last edited by tenkerman; 03-25-2012 at 09:19 AM.

I play for keeps
    For lighting; think about putting some lights on the wall around waist level. I had this setup in my last garage and it took care of those annoying shadows you can get when working at night and all of your light is directly over head

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Are you gonna have water & heat? That'd sure be nice. One or 2 chairs or stools & some sort of sound system would come in handy, as would a phone unless you use a cell phone exclusively. A work bench with a vice & maybe a small grinder is something you'd use a lot. I'd suggest at least 1 window. I'm assuming a wood floor. I'd cover the floor with some kind of mat. At least 1 window or box fan for the summer if you're not planning to have a small window AC. I'd probably cover, or almost cover one wall with pegboard.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Mr V beat me to it, but I was gong to say a sink, with running water and a real drain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I would add: Compressor, solvent tank/part cleaning area and good ventilation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For lighting; think about putting some lights on the wall around waist level....
    Excellent suggestion.

First one home gets beer
    Rubber floors. I have 4'x6'x3/4" horse stall mats that I got at the ranch co-op for about $60 each. Cut them with a jigsaw and a wood blade, they will save your back and are nigh indestructible. My shop cabinets (I like lots of drawers) all came from CabParts in Grand Junction, CO. Even with freight, they cost less per pound than grapes.

Lots of double duplex outlets along the bench. every 4' is reasonable.

Lighting for sure, but don't reuse any magnetic T12 stuff. Go all T8/electronic for obvious reasons.Shield them with reflectors or valences to reduce glare. I added scraps of LED strips to the legs of my truing stand, they make wheel work much easier.

Extend the worktop 2" past the cabinet face for easier clamping. Use threaded inserts into the top to allow a solid but removable bench vise.

Don't forget at least one Lange girl poster.

Crash Test Dummy
    Feb 2012
    I'd like to do plumbing but that would be a budget buster. However I might build it with plumbing and have the service lines run to it when the money is there, Lighting is a good thought. I'll have to add more than a couple ceiling mount florescent bulbs for sure. I'm going to use as many recycled materials as possible although I can see spending a fair bit on the lights. I'm hoping to find a floor or bench mount buffing wheel on CL in addition to an air compressor. Regarding "artwork", this will be a space where I share my passion for bicycles with my family, including my young daughter and the neighbor kids. 'Nough said.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    For lighting; think about putting some lights on the wall around waist level. I had this setup in my last garage and it took care of those annoying shadows you can get when working at night and all of your light is directly over head
    great advice

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    We have a "Home Shop" thread over on MTBR. You can get a lot of good ideas looking at all the pictures.

http://forums.mtbr.com/tooltime/what...ad-600073.html

always right sometimes
    bed. couch. 2 week supply of food...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    This has some great tips in it.

Your Home Bicycle Workshop | Road Bike Rider

BIKE GEEK
    Urinal
    -Tyler
    --2010 Trek 69er 3X9
    --2011 Masi Gran Criterium
    --2011 Blue Norcross SP
    --2014 Salsa Mukluk

banned
    Mar 2011

RoadBikeReview Member
    Optional of course: Love sac, Disco ball, subwoofer, smoke machine, black lights, laser stage lighting, cheap guitars, industrial beverage opening device. This can lead to more of a dual purpose area though...

Winner!
    Jan 2012
    if you can afford it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a home bike shop-taps1.jpg  

Old, slow, and fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpimpo View Post
    if you can afford it.
    for those that only have kegs occasionally but take a while to drink em

aka jockey box Jockey Boxes | BeverageFactory.com

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why don't you just build a 2 car garage with a shop inside of it?

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    I was very content with the little work shop that I had until I looked at the pictures on mtbr. I showed my fiance and all she could say is uh oh, we're in trouble Looks like I get to do some shopping.
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2014 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2013 Fuji Finest 1.1C (Wife's)

Crash Test Dummy
    Feb 2012
    [QUOTE=siclmn;3844317]Why don't you just build a 2 car garage with a shop inside of it?[/QUOTE

Lack of funds, lack of space. Our yard is really small. I'm actually going to redo the entire back yard. The only thing that will remain is the kid's cedar play structure and the existing tool shed. Our neighborhood was developed with single car detached garages off the backs of the houses with alleys running between them. Our house wasn't built with a garage. Never really had a use for one as we just park on the street out front. Many good ideas in this thread. Is it just me or do home-brewing and cycling go hand in hand? I'm already planning on saving a corner of the shop to use as my brewing space. I've been away from home for 10 months and apart from my family for the last three months. I finally got a job in Portland that will allow me to move back. I'll miss the nice winter riding weather here in AZ but I'm counting down the days until I go.

Failboat Captian
    A small but tall rolling table for tools while working on the bike in the stand.

A work bench big enough for a truing stand, built in a way that you can sit on a stool in front of it comfortably for a while.

As mentioned, an air compressor.

If you can't run plumbing, at least a way to clean parts. Maybe a wash tub/sink with a 5 gallon bucket under the drain and a water supply up top. You could maybe rig up a hook above the tub and use one of these: Seattle Sports Camp Shower - 5 Gallon - Free Shipping at REI.com

Or just pull a hose to the shed from the house. Have a window over the sink. Don't drain solvents into the yard (obviously). But if you are just rinsing dirt off stuff, and run a hose from the house, maybe a way to drain the tub/sink to the yard.

A comfy old chair to sit and watch pron and/or the TdF on your computer.

Windows. With an interior plywood cover on hinges, with a lock on the bottom, to keep people from seeing what you have and breaking in at night.

Maybe a cheap alarm system on the door and any larger windows. And a very good lock on the front door.

Storage in the rafters.
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd suggest something like this with a high roof. You'll have more overhead room and more space to store stuff up in the rafters....

Rather than something with a normal pitched roof...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast