Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
    If the local bike shop stocked any bike for short adults, I might respect them. They don't. Tall leggy Europeans is their market, not me. Besides, I've bought pumps there that wouldn't grip a shrader valve, undersized tubes that "would work " (for 1 minute until it blew). At least their tires fit better than the grocery store "schwinn" ones.
    I've learned more here & with bing search after I learned the right words, in two weeks, than I ever learned there. No sense paying the premium.
    Tall leggy Europeans? By tall you mean 5-9? I've been in lots of different shops all over the midwest. Still haven't been in a shop that stocks lots of bikes for 6-2.5+ dudes? Sounds like your LBS runs a middle sizing order scheme, but quit moping about being short. 56 is middling, and its about standard "Medium"for men's bikes everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The internet is a little like a bar, a wonderful place where we can bullsh(t our past, but it also, is full of reasonably reliable sources of information to be used as ammo to call "bullish)t."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeolite View Post
    Majority of the time, yes. I bought my 2017 Giant TCR SL-2 KOM (MSRP $4125) for $3500 out the door. Stripped and sold the existing Ultegra 6800 mechanical and Giant 30mm carbon wheels for $1200. Added Dura Ace 9100 mechanical for (LBS price $2300) $1325 at Ribble, Campy Bora Ultra 50 clinchers with Conti GP SII 25mm tires for (MSRP $4,000) $2075 at Merlin, Giant Aero cockpit for (MSRP $490) $380, and Selle Italia Flite Tekno saddle (MSRP 450) $265 at Ribble. Soon I will be upgrading my DA 9100 mechanical to 9150 Di2 for an additional $1350 from Merlins. My bike, complete before the Di2 upgrade costs around $6300. Similar spec Tarmac, Emonda, Evo SS with inferior carbon wheels go for $8000-9000. Once I upgrade the bike to DA 9150 Di2 the final price will be around $7700. Even a Canyon Ultimate or Aeroad with the advantage of mail order don't beat this value. BTW my bike is 14.2LBS with pedals and stiff as anything on the market.
    Got my Orbea Orca OMR w/D-A Di2 for $5500 and no tax. Two months later during the bike fit, I purchased an S-Works Power saddle and Look KEO Ti Blades.

The next upgrade was Zipp SL70 Aero bars and an Enve carbon stem. I bought a Garmin 1000, the Synchro kit, new battery to power everything. $4k in two months.
    Last edited by tabl10s; 06-07-2017 at 06:07 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tabl10s View Post
    The next upgrade was Zipp SL70 Aero bars and an Enve carbon stem. I bought a Garmin 1000, the Synchro kit, new battery to power everything. $4k in two months. $4k in two months.
    Damn.... I thought I was bad..

I remember building my bike with just a slightly used frame which cost $650. I thought I could keep it under budget of $1,300 getting used parts and stuff. After said and done, I went over budget by another $1,700... I should've listened to the guys at the bike shop when they told me that it was going to be a money pit and would've been much better if I just bought a complete new bike.

OP, for the stem, I would opt for the Zipp Speed or Sprint SL stem. I've had the Enve stem (110mm) and it's forgettable at best.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachycardic View Post
    All y'all are nuts. SRAM and Shimano on a Wilier and Colnago? Might as well drink Natural Light with your beluga caviar. Such injustice!
    Oh, you're one of "those". My last bike was a '98 Trek with full Campy Carbon Rec'd 10.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    you know you can get a decent bike for like under $1000...
    And that's exactly what you will have, a sub $1000 bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Finished the build and I like it. It comes in at 14.13lbs w/Roval CLX 50's(Orbea is 15.9)and I'll order Red 22 calipers today and maybe Speedplay Ti Zero's as I'd like to get down to 13lbs.
    Last edited by tabl10s; 06-23-2017 at 10:01 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tabl10s View Post
    Oh, you're one of "those". My last bike was a '98 Trek with full Campy Carbon Rec'd 10.
    Yeah, but in that case you were insulting that fine Campagnolo group, whereas now you're insulting those fine frames
    Why do you hate cycling so much?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
    Yeah, but in that case you were insulting that fine Campagnolo group, whereas now you're insulting those fine frames
    Why do you hate cycling so much?
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. I did reverse course.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12