Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Building The New Bike Is Getting Expensive!

Putting an NOS '13 Wilier Zero.7 together and including the frame, I'm down almost $4K after getting the eTap upgrade kit yesterday including chain and cassette on discount. Not sure I'll get that C-60.
    Last edited by tabl10s; 06-01-2017 at 10:37 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Is the point of your post that expensive things are expensive?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    you know you can get a decent bike for like under $1000...
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Is the point of your post that expensive things are expensive?
    It'll be less so when I stop being a hero supporting one of two LBS' that never discount anything.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by tabl10s View Post
    Putting an NOS '13 Wilier Zero.7 together and including the frame, I'm down almost $4K after getting the eTap upgrade kit yesterday including chain and cassette on discount. Not sure I'll get that C-60.

That is just about what I paid for my entire self-spec'd titanium gravel grinder build...including frame/fork/headset, wheels, post/stem, full Di2 hydraulic transmission, pedals, handlebar, bar-tape, bike computer mount, bottle cages, nice pannier racks, and tires/sealant.

SRAM's pricing whether B&M or online is just plain stupid.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    That is just about what I paid for my entire self-spec'd titanium gravel grinder build...including frame/fork/headset, wheels, post/stem, full Di2 hydraulic transmission, pedals, handlebar, bar-tape, bike computer mount, bottle cages, nice pannier racks, and tires/sealant.

SRAM's pricing whether B&M or online is just plain stupid.
    The store that sold me the frame said no more discounts on the rest of the build. I've spent $10k in 7 months and have restrictions placed on me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    If the local bike shop stocked any bike for short adults, I might respect them. They don't. Tall leggy Europeans is their market, not me. Besides, I've bought pumps there that wouldn't grip a shrader valve, undersized tubes that "would work " (for 1 minute until it blew). At least their tires fit better than the grocery store "schwinn" ones.
    I've learned more here & with bing search after I learned the right words, in two weeks, than I ever learned there. No sense paying the premium.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    So are you saying a high end carbon frame with the latest electric group is expensive?

Thanks, I never would have guessed that.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    So are you saying a high end carbon frame with the latest electric group is expensive?

Thanks, I never would have guessed that.

Helps that SRAM is price-locking retailers (like SpeedPlay). Ostensibly to "help" LBSes compete against foreign imports....although I cannot speak for all LBSes, I can speak for my local ones in saying they never sold a SRAM ETap group before the price lock-and probably never will after.

SRAM wants to charge double Ultegra Di2, they're fine to do it. I'll buy Ultegra Di2 instead.

FTP testing
    Helps that SRAM is price-locking retailers (like SpeedPlay). Ostensibly to "help" LBSes compete against foreign imports....although I cannot speak for all LBSes, I can speak for my local ones in saying they never sold a SRAM ETap group before the price lock-and probably never will after.

SRAM wants to charge double Ultegra Di2, they're fine to do it. I'll buy Ultegra Di2 instead.
    I always get a laugh from companies (not just cycling related) that force a fixed price as if this is the Soviet Union where prices are fixed from on high. Always thought this was a free market where the market determined the price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
    I always get a laugh from companies (not just cycling related) that force a fixed price as if this is the Soviet Union where prices are fixed from on high. Always thought this was a free market where the market determined the price.
    You could use a refresher course on free market. It's demand AND supply with no guvmint restrictions on buyer AND seller.
    Companies are free to charge what they want and you're free to buy it or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You could use a refresher course on free market. It's demand AND supply with no guvmint restrictions on buyer AND seller.
    and you could use a beginner economics 101 course, because you are using the wrong words here. Truly 'Free markets' in economics means the price floats with supply and demand, not with monopolization, price regulation nor price fixing. What SRAM is doing is fairly benign as they are not immune to supply&demand and substantial competition - though they are trying to defy the invisible hand of the free market by fixing their prices (this is not by definition 'price fixing' unless they collude with Shimano).

And already I see the eTap upgrade groupset costs a good $300 less than it did a year ago. Some free market action there I think. Maybe they are hurting because they only have one WorldTour team using their stuff in the last 18 months. Or folks are like me: balked at their prices and happy with Ultegra

https://www.quora.com/In-a-free-mark...ces-determined
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_market
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 06-02-2017 at 10:05 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2017
    It definitely gets expensive building your own bike. In hind-sight, it is a lot cheaper to buy new and replace and upgrade as you go, but that is in hindsight. Everything looks different in the rear view. It is an experience, and you have to chock it up to just that. Forget about the cost. Your project isn't about cost. Learn as you go. Get what you can from it. Go in debt for it. To me it was worth it. I have no regrets. I made costly mistakes and bought top of the line all the way. Now I have a bike that has a part of me in it. I learned a lot., and it cost me. It will cost you as well. Good luck, and never try to pinch a penny on quality parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Personally, I'd stick to the c-60 and save money by going 6800. I made the decision last few years that if I'm going to blow money its going to be on a bike vacation and not another bike.

Pathlete and Pedalphile

E tap is cheaper than Dura Ace Di2 but if you're looking for budget electronic then Ultegra is the way to go.
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Forever a Student
    For the foreseeable future I've decided to not spend more than $3k on a new bike. So maybe I can only buy some of it and have to reuse other stuff I have or whatnot, but that's the deal.

I go pretty damn fast on my heavy metal bike with fenders and box section rims. Good enough.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by slippery666jesus View Post
    It definitely gets expensive building your own bike. In hind-sight, it is a lot cheaper to buy new and replace and upgrade as you go, but that is in hindsight. Everything looks different in the rear view. It is an experience, and you have to chock it up to just that. Forget about the cost. Your project isn't about cost. Learn as you go. Get what you can from it. Go in debt for it. To me it was worth it. I have no regrets. I made costly mistakes and bought top of the line all the way. Now I have a bike that has a part of me in it. I learned a lot., and it cost me. It will cost you as well. Good luck, and never try to pinch a penny on quality parts.

This is my first piece-meal bike project and while thought provoking, it pales to the effort that goes into building an audio system(Cyclists can watch videos). Actually, the cost of a Dogma F10 w/Campy & Lightweght's will get you a quality "starter" High-End system.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tabl10s View Post
    This is my first piece-meal bike project and while thought provoking, it pales to the effort that goes into building an audio system(Cyclists can watch videos). Actually, the cost of a Dogma F10 w/Campy & Lightweght's will get you a quality "starter" High-End system.
    I get that. I used to be a mechanic. In the military, and as a civilian. Regardless, if you build a bike, it's expensive if you use new high end parts. Same concept. If you build or restore a car, it will cost you. Buying a new car is cheaper. (Usually). Get what you can out of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    and you could use a beginner economics 101 course, because you are using the wrong words here. Truly 'Free markets' in economics means the price floats with supply and demand, not with monopolization, price regulation nor price fixing.
    A little confusion on your part. You're thinking wheat, coal, and iron ore, not a consumer product. There is no monopolization involved when a brand sets prices for their products. Likewise no price fixing - price fixing is when suppliers collude to fix prices, not when a company sets a MSRP.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    A little confusion on your part. You're thinking wheat, coal, and iron ore, not a consumer product. There is no monopolization involved when a brand sets prices for their products. Likewise no price fixing - price fixing is when suppliers collude to fix prices, not when a company sets a MSRP.

We're not talking about MSRPs though or companies that set them.

We're talking about manufacturers telling retailers/distributors to regionally blacklist consumers, and to never sell below a given price. As in what Speedplay and SRAM are doing.....which is legal insofar as the letter of the law, but not really the spirit of the law.

FTP testing
    No refresher needed, what I stated is correct. A free market is a market where the prices are determined by unrestricted competition between private businesses. You can't have price discovery in a free market if SRAM is going to set a fixed price and blacklist retailers who don't follow their demands.

Free Market

is riding in MOPP4
    All y'all are nuts. SRAM and Shimano on a Wilier and Colnago? Might as well drink Natural Light with your beluga caviar. Such injustice!
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by slippery666jesus View Post

Majority of the time, yes. I bought my 2017 Giant TCR SL-2 KOM (MSRP $4125) for $3500 out the door. Stripped and sold the existing Ultegra 6800 mechanical and Giant 30mm carbon wheels for $1200. Added Dura Ace 9100 mechanical for (LBS price $2300) $1325 at Ribble, Campy Bora Ultra 50 clinchers with Conti GP SII 25mm tires for (MSRP $4,000) $2075 at Merlin, Giant Aero cockpit for (MSRP $490) $380, and Selle Italia Flite Tekno saddle (MSRP 450) $265 at Ribble. Soon I will be upgrading my DA 9100 mechanical to 9150 Di2 for an additional $1350 from Merlins. My bike, complete before the Di2 upgrade costs around $6300. Similar spec Tarmac, Emonda, Evo SS with inferior carbon wheels go for $8000-9000. Once I upgrade the bike to DA 9150 Di2 the final price will be around $7700. Even a Canyon Ultimate or Aeroad with the advantage of mail order don't beat this value. BTW my bike is 14.2LBS with pedals and stiff as anything on the market.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We're not talking about MSRPs though or companies that set them.

We're talking about manufacturers telling retailers/distributors to regionally blacklist consumers, and to never sell below a given price. As in what Speedplay and SRAM are doing.....which is legal insofar as the letter of the law, but not really the spirit of the law.
    And on the flip side, you now have Shimano who is lowering prices that their retailers are allowed to sell for - all while charging the retailers the same wholesale price. They are effectively cutting into retailers' profit margins.

One has to wonder if Shimano is trying to put small shops out of business or if they are trying to put SRAM out of business since Shimano is a larger company and more able to stand temporary financial losses. Sort of like what Standard Oil did in the 19th Century until all their competitors were out of business.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    And on the flip side, you now have Shimano who is lowering prices that their retailers are allowed to sell for - all while charging the retailers the same wholesale price. They are effectively cutting into retailers' profit margins.

One has to wonder if Shimano is trying to put small shops out of business or if they are trying to put SRAM out of business since Shimano is a larger company and more able to stand temporary financial losses. Sort of like what Standard Oil did in the 19th Century until all their competitors were out of business.
    I'd wondered about that. When I did my Di2 rig this spring and was looking to source parts...LBS said to go buy parts myself as I could get them cheaper than they could probably. I didn't even need to import from UK/EU to beat QBP pricing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast