RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

Burned a groove in my front roller...

Got on last night, haven't been on them in forever, went ok except after less than 3 minutes I smelled something burning. I got off, felt both tires they weren't warm. put the bike away, I should have already gone to bed, my son gets up way too early on the weekends, and noticed a groove in the front roller and a piece of nylon that had melted off under the front tire. BTW they are ancient Tacx speedbreaker rollers. They work fantastic, I've had than for 25+ years just never used them a lot. Any ideas why it happened? maybe change it with the back roller? I'd prefer not to burn a hole in it obviously.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    The rubber may have become brittle, wearing much quicker. 25+ years sounds way past the product's lifespan.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    It's not clear to me; did a portion of the roller break off or melt off? The tires aren't going to generate any heat so I'd question what caused the melting, if any.

I'd say after 25 years, your rollers have served you well. I'd replace them or perhaps try to buy a used pair for parts from eBay or Craigslist.

Also, if you can't feel any imperfection on the roller as your ride, then don't worry about it. If they break, you've got a valid excuse to buy new rollers. Otherwise, just keep riding them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Not rubber, they are some kind of nylon or plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    The friction of fast moving tire on drum can generate a fair amount of heat, but three minutes seems awfully quick for that amount of heat to build up. Is it possible something below the roller was sticking up and dragging the bottom of the roller?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    You are correct sir!!!! Totally my fault user error, and perhaps a little mtn bike jealousy/revenge. The front of the rollers was in a room w/ carpet so I had a book under each front "foot" of the rollers. Zinns guide to Mtn bike maintence flexed and the spine rubbed against the roller, cooked the spine a bit and grooved the roller, which by the way I can't feel as I ride so apparently no long term damage.
    I gentle people kneel before you, an idiot....

Frog Whisperer
    I've got a groove worn in the roller on my Cycle-Ops mag trainer (aluminum)....doesn't bother me...(well....not true riding on the trainer bothers me)
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......