Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I use this simple flow chart:

Do I need to use my bike brakes to slice baloney?

Yes ---> disc brakes

No ---> rim brakes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    or, do I want my baloney sliced and cauterized ------> no

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    So you've bought a disc brake bike then?

Yes, for an MTB bike where they make sense.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

To buy new; disc or rim

Owning two Domanes one of which has hydro discs and is used full time in the mountains I can say without question they offer advantages when doing descents. If your not in the mountains not sure it matters near as much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Yes, for an MTB bike where they make sense.

They make sense for road bikes too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I use this simple flow chart:

Do I need to use my bike brakes to slice baloney?

Yes ---> disc brakes

No ---> rim brakes
    I'm a Campagnolo kind of guy, so I prefer the Genoa salami.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    consider the purpose of the bike and the decision will become obvious

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    There are good reasons to go with disc over rim. Future-proofing is not one of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    There are good reasons to go with disc over rim. Future-proofing is not one of them.
    Agree. Future-proofing is not one of the goals of the bike industry; they'll just keep evolving. Buy the bike you want; waiting will just create a different compatibility issue.

My personal view (being a disc non-enthusiast) is that $1000 is a big difference and unless you live in terrain where discs offer a real advantage I'd save the dough. But, its your bike

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Agree. Future-proofing is not one of the goals of the bike industry; they'll just keep evolving. Buy the bike you want; waiting will just create a different compatibility issue.
    Exactly. Buy the bike you want now... and enjoy it now.
    Who's to say that in a few years the bike industry won't decide to move to 12, 13, 14 speed bikes. Demanding wider frame spacing and longer freehubs.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Does your friend want a bike with brakes that are better at stopping? Buy disc. A bike with 12x142/12x100 spacing, as that looks like the standard the industry is consolidating around.

135/100 QR is probably safe for a good long while too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    My road bikes have rim brakes. My gravel and 29er bikes have disc brakes. Both perform well. It would have cost me an extra $500 for disc brakes on my latest road bike. I decided it wasn't worth it for riding on the roads. Maybe by the time I'm in the market for another road bike... the prices will drop on disc brakes.
    Fred-li-ness is not a virtue, it's a way of life.

Embark on Fredly endeavors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    I would wait until they get hydro disc levers down to rim shifter sizes. They are currently way too large and hideous for me to put on a bike.

Typically not riding in the rain or having long winding descents to deal with might factor in as well. The one long winding descent I do a year my rim brakes seem to handle fine too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    I would wait until they get hydro disc levers down to rim shifter sizes. They are currently way too large and hideous for me to put on a bike.

Typically not riding in the rain or having long winding descents to deal with might factor in as well. The one long winding descent I do a year my rim brakes seem to handle fine too.
    Dura Ace 9120. Doubt it will get any better anytime soon.

Banned forever.....or not
    Will he commute on it?.....Will he do a lot of rain riding?....Is he riding in an urban area with lots of cross traffic?
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    Cable-actuated discs don't offer any significant gains, except in weight. .
    Definitely not my experience. I just set up BB7s (not even the best cable option out there) and they are loads better than any rim-brake equipped road bike I have owned or demoed. It is not even close.

Of course, I do know how to set them up well, and I use compression-less housing. Both of these things make a significant difference.
    Last edited by kapusta; 1 Week Ago at 10:09 AM.

The Slow One.
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Definitely not my experience. I just set up BB7s (not even the best cable option out there) and they are loads better than any rim-brake equipped road bike I have owned or demoed. It is not even close.

Of course, I do know how to set them up well, and I use compression-less housing. Both of these things make a significant difference.
    Unless it's wet, mechanical discs don't stop any better than good caliper brakes. I can lock up either, and modulate either with about the same effectiveness. The limit is not the stopping power of the brake system, but the traction of the tire. Maybe I just really know how to set up caliper brakes, though.

Hydraulic discs offer far better modulation, which is really the advantage here. There's no comparison.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    Dura Ace 9120. Doubt it will get any better anytime soon.

Shoot R785 has been out for years and it is damn good. I don't think you'll find a serious trashing of R785 brifter or brake performance.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    I'm not a big road-disc fan. For me and my riding, I don't see nor have a real need for it. Plus I like wheel compatibility among my road bikes. But that's me and my moderate (165 lbs) weight and dry riding conditions - including occasional mountain rides, not racing though.

But I'm wondering - is there an advantage for the hand-strength-impaired? Like an older, small female in my family who in the past has complained that it was hard to engage the rim brakes on her road bike? (significantly resolved by better calipers).

If discs - hydro or cable - made my wife's riding experience better, it's a no brainer.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    I'm not a big road-disc fan. For me and my riding, I don't see nor have a real need for it. Plus I like wheel compatibility among my road bikes. But that's me and my moderate (165 lbs) weight and dry riding conditions - including occasional mountain rides, not racing though.

But I'm wondering - is there an advantage for the hand-strength-impaired? Like an older, small female in my family who in the past has complained that it was hard to engage the rim brakes on her road bike? (significantly resolved by better calipers).

If discs - hydro or cable - made my wife's riding experience better, it's a no brainer.
    Hydraulic disc would be perfect for her. They require significantly less hand strength. I can one finger brake from the hoods with no effort on steep hills. When I switch between rim and disc bikes I have to be careful not to grab too much brake

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post

Shimano hydraulics for example, properly setup, I can safely stop 200lbs of me and bike with a single pink finger-and yet have a full range of modulation all the way up to that point. I'd go to an LBS and try some out on any bike.

The problem with disc brakes is the same as with rim-brakes....there are many El Cheapos that suck. They also need setup right for the rider. With the nicer hydraulics there's both a free-stroke and a reach adjust built in. Shoot I think Shimano's 505 tier even has it IIRC.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Di2 hydraulic disc (9170) is virtually identical to (9100) in size and shape.

Last edited by factory feel; 1 Week Ago at 05:42 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Di2 hydraulic disc (9150) is virtually identical to (9100) in size and shape.

That is definitely better than it has been in the past but still slightly larger. If I was to go electronic it would probably be etap though and those are still monstrous.

It would also mean new wheels, new frame etc, I'm in no hurry and have no necessity to go disc at this point.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    That is definitely better than it has been in the past but still slightly larger. If I was to go electronic it would probably be etap though and those are still monstrous.

It would also mean new wheels, new frame etc, I'm in no hurry and have no necessity to go disc at this point.

Quiz time.

Which is the disc brake brifter, and which is the rim-brake brifter, and yes one is 9170 and one is either 9150 or 9100.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Take a look at the current VeloNews Buyers Guide. Discs are clearly in the minority out of the road bike categories of "All-Around" and "Aero" categories. Discs slightly outnumbered rims in the "Endurance" bracket. So if you race or want to look like a racer (which most buyers of high end bikes are), rims are the clear choice. That means rims will be around a long, long time.
    Last edited by stanseven; 6 Days Ago at 04:25 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast