Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016

To buy new; disc or rim

So not to bring up a rim vs disc brake thread. But a buddy of mine is about to buy a new bike offered in rim or disc for a good amount more money. At this point is it not as smart to buy a new bike with rim brakes if you want to future proof? Guess my question is more to the bike Industry. Are they trying to phase out the rim brake or will they be out for a long time coming?

No, I'm no troll but I honestly wonder what a consumer is supposed to do to make the smart decision.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Rim brakes and appropriate rims will not vanish from the planet in his lifetime.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Rim brakes parts will be around for a LONG time. Probably forever.
    Heck, rim brakes have been pretty much phased out of new MTB's for a long time and you can still easily find rim brake stuff.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    I figured. I'm just wondering if there will be a point where it will not be a smart move to go rim vs discs on a NEW expensive bike. And if we're even near that point. Look at Trek, they don't even offer discs on their Emonda or Madone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Rim brakes and appropriate rims will not vanish from the planet in his lifetime.
    I agree that you'll be able to find rim brake and pads, but wheel selection may eventually become an issue. As more and more new bikes come with discs, wheels manufacturers will alter their selection to support that. That won't happen overnight, but there will be an effect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
    I figured. I'm just wondering if there will be a point where it will not be a smart move to go rim vs discs on a NEW expensive bike. And if we're even near that point. Look at Trek, they don't even offer discs on their Emonda or Madone.
    Well if they are not available on a bike the person wants then the question would be moot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I agree that you'll be able to find rim brake and pads, but wheel selection may eventually become an issue.
    and this is kinda my point. When does it become not the smartest move especially if you're an "upgraditis" type.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    This question is not really anything that needs consideration. Both brakes will be around for longer than your friend is likely to live. The difficultly is that, whatever he decides, he cannot change his bike to the other brake system.

Also, there is a very large difference in disc brakes. Cable activated disc brakes are not in the same league with hydraulic discs.

In my opinion, if he lives/rides/goes fast where there are a lot of twisting mountain descents, he should spend the money for hydraulic discs. If not, they will not likely be a game changer.

Finally, this question has more to do with religion than any practical considerations. Many of the answers are apt to come from folks with no practical experience with both systems.

In the end, worries about obsolescence should not be a factor in our lifetimes.

So not to bring up a rim vs disc brake thread. But a buddy of mine is about to buy a new bike offered in rim or disc for a good amount more money. At this point is it not as smart to buy a new bike with rim brakes if you want to future proof? Guess my question is more to the bike Industry. Are they trying to phase out the rim brake or will they be out for a long time coming?

No, I'm no troll but I honestly wonder what a consumer is supposed to do to make the smart decision.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Will wheel manufacturers continue to make the newest, coolest wheels that we want for both brake systems?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    and this is kinda my point. When does it become not the smartest move especially if you're an "upgraditis" type.
    If that's the concern a bike of any type probably isn't a good idea. Disk brakes and their frame mounting will probably change to a 'better' standard at some point. Or something like that. Different rotors thus different hubs or hub spacing....or whatever. Everything on a bike is subject to not being the latest and greatest as some point in the future and whatever you buy may not be compatible to flavor of the day 'upgrades'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    "Don't upgrade, ride up grades" Eddy Merckx

I dont know if Eddy ever really said this but its a good quote

I would make the choice about discs based on whether you think that would help you with the type of riding you do, If you live where its its mostly flat and you dont ride in the rain then I dont see much benefit. Being an avowed Luddite with 3 steel bikes, I dont plan to switch to discs

Fecal indicator
    I agree that you'll be able to find rim brake and pads, but wheel selection may eventually become an issue. As more and more new bikes come with discs, wheels manufacturers will alter their selection to support that. That won't happen overnight, but there will be an effect.
    won't happen overnite or in 20 years...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Being an avowed Luddite with 3 steel bikes
    Here's a good example of why you need to consider future standard changes for upgrades. This poor guy with his steel frames is stuck having to use a BB standard that actually works well.

The Slow One.
    The problem with discs is we still don't have a standard. Quick release or thru-axle? If thru-axle, which diameter front axle? There really is no future-proofing at the moment, because we're just transitioning to them, although you can make some educated guesses.

Cable-actuated discs don't offer any significant gains, except in weight. At least you'd have a good frameset for swapping over to a hydraulic groupset.

All of my road bikes run rim brakes at the moment. I don't see the advantage justifying the considerable cost to switch. Then again, all of my road bikes run 10 speed for the same reason.

My latest gravel bike project is running hydraulic discs (12mm/15mm TAs). In that environment (unpavel/gravel/mud...) I do see a significant advantage in hydraulic discs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    wait 5-7 years then decide on a disc frame.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    The problem with discs is we still don't have a standard. Quick release or thru-axle? If thru-axle, which diameter front axle? There really is no future-proofing at the moment, because we're just transitioning to them, although you can make some educated guesses.

Cable-actuated discs don't offer any significant gains, except in weight. At least you'd have a good frameset for swapping over to a hydraulic groupset.

All of my road bikes run rim brakes at the moment. I don't see the advantage justifying the considerable cost to switch. Then again, all of my road bikes run 10 speed for the same reason.

My latest gravel bike project is running hydraulic discs (12mm/15mm TAs). In that environment (unpavel/gravel/mud...) I do see a significant advantage in hydraulic discs.
    Actually, we do. The world is heading to thru-axles. Actually, the entire rest of the cycling world other than roadies have already accepted discs and TAs. The manufacturers are still clearing out their stock of QR equipment in roadie land....and also a bait to get people to buy another bike when it is a "NEW" feature LOL.

Discs make life doing fenders easier, they also make wider tires easier. They even stop you bike as good or betterer. Aside from buying rim-brakes just because, I'm not sure what the point is for rim-brakes.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    The question of technology continuing to focus on rim brakes is a good one. I doubt that the recent level of innovation will continue.

You ask a good question with regard to wheels with brake tracks. My guess is that future resources and innovation energy will primarily be focused on disc brakes and disc brake wheels. I don't see R&D resources being used/spent for rim brake wheels in the future.
    Will wheel manufacturers continue to make the newest, coolest wheels that we want for both brake systems?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Yeah, I mean for myself personally I've been considering a wheel upgrade for my Domane s5. In looking around it seems like the industry keeps putting out both versions, which is good. But today, if I had to buy a new expensive bike would it still be a smart and future-proof purchase to go rim brakes? My buddy is kind of going through this now... but he likes the fact he can save almost a grand and some weight going rim.

The Slow One.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Actually, we do. The world is heading to thru-axles. Actually, the entire rest of the cycling world other than roadies have already accepted discs and TAs. The manufacturers are still clearing out their stock of QR equipment in roadie land....and also a bait to get people to buy another bike when it is a "NEW" feature LOL.
    But there is no "road" standard just yet. As you mention, everyone is just clearing out what they have and going with whatever they think is best. Just because you buy a disc brake bike today doesn't mean it's future-proof.

Wider tires is a big benefit for me, especially because it makes your average road bike a little more versatile. The manufacturers are still fighting it so they can sell more bikes, but any disc brake road bike should at least fit 30s. Enough of this 25c maximum crap- we've moved on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Here's a good example of why you need to consider future standard changes for upgrades. This poor guy with his steel frames is stuck having to use a BB standard that actually works well.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jay Strongbow again.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, I mean for myself personally I've been considering a wheel upgrade for my Domane s5. In looking around it seems like the industry keeps putting out both versions, which is good. But today, if I had to buy a new expensive bike would it still be a smart and future-proof purchase to go rim brakes? My buddy is kind of going through this now... but he likes the fact he can save almost a grand and some weight going rim.
    Is this the last bike that he is ever going to buy? Probably not.

If he likes the idea of saving a grand, hell, he should get the rim brakes and save the grand. In a few years, when it's new bike time, he can decide if the disc brake standard is settled down enough to go that route. Or maybe save another grand and get the hydraulic brake standard that's being phased out for a new standard.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    But there is no "road" standard just yet. As you mention, everyone is just clearing out what they have and going with whatever they think is best. Just because you buy a disc brake bike today doesn't mean it's future-proof.

Wider tires is a big benefit for me, especially because it makes your average road bike a little more versatile. The manufacturers are still fighting it so they can sell more bikes, but any disc brake road bike should at least fit 30s. Enough of this 25c maximum crap- we've moved on.

12x100mm front and 12x142mm rear Thru Axle is very likely becoming the standard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As long as intelligent cyclists outnumber the morons, there will always be rim brakes for road bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I think your friend should buy the bike he likes the best and let brake type be a secondary issue. As has been pointed out, rim brakes work fine and they won't be going anywhere for a long time.

That being said, for me personally, now having 4 bikes, 3 of which have hydro discs and the one exception being my road bike it's hard to imagine my next road bike not having discs. For me, they simply work better and haven't detracted from my riding experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    As long as intelligent cyclists outnumber the morons, there will always be rim brakes for road bikes.

So you've bought a disc brake bike then?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast