RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

calcaneal spur and cycling

Or ankle spur.
    I have been road cycling for 4 months now. I have gone between 1200 to 1500 miles. 3 days ago I get this pain in my ankle. It hurts when I walk (when I step on the ankle) I have not been diagnosed yet, but according to all the symptoms it's calcaneal spur. My questions are: Do you think this condition is connected to cycling anyway? Could it have developed from cycling? Even though it does not hurt when I ride. Should I stop cycling until my leg is healed? (if pain is not going away in a few days I'm going to the doctor).

Any other thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Riding

Quote Originally Posted by unnamedny
    Or ankle spur.
    I have been road cycling for 4 months now. I have gone between 1200 to 1500 miles. 3 days ago I get this pain in my ankle. It hurts when I walk (when I step on the ankle) I have not been diagnosed yet, but according to all the symptoms it's calcaneal spur. My questions are: Do you think this condition is connected to cycling anyway? Could it have developed from cycling? Even though it does not hurt when I ride. Should I stop cycling until my leg is healed? (if pain is not going away in a few days I'm going to the doctor).

Any other thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
    So are you saying that you have self-diagnosed a calcaneal spur? If you really do have a bone spur, then it's not going away on it's own any time soon. It would seem that if you have no pain on riding then the (alleged) spur would not be caused by riding, but this is why you consult people who have had several years of college and practice studying topics like this. Odds are your pain is from something else, but Internet diagnoses are notoriously inaccurate.

BTW the calcaneous is the heel bone, so it's not clear how that could be giving you a sore ankle, but I'm no doctor and the last time I stayed in a Holiday Inn (Express) was at Thanksgiving.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not trying to diagnose myself. I'm trying to find out some information, maybe it's common in cycling (who knows), if I have this condition maybe I should quit cycling. Just looking for any piece of advice from someone who had something similar.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I don't mean to be snarky, but IMO the best course of action would be to consult with your doctor. I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV. I'm sure there are Md's on these forums and I'll bet they wouldn't give a diagnosis or treatment suggestions without examining you first.
    Don't believe everything you think.