RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Calling all Litespeed Vela or Capella owners

Looking to buy a Vela and was wondering how does everyone like their bikes? How is the compact frame? Is the bike holding up? How does it ride?

Thanks...

RoadBikeReview Member

Talking I've got an '03 Vela...

...and so far I'm very impressed. I got mine in January from Colorado Cyclist for $999 which is an outrageous deal IMO. (I called Litespeed customer service before ordering and they spoke very highly of there relationship w/ CC). If its an '04 they've added a carbon rear end and at $1500 I would still recommend it. (full 105, full carbon fork, R540s, Conti GP 3000s, nice house-brand seat post and saddle).
    The frame is very stiff and it climbes like a cat. I find the ride very comfortable but I'm running it with hanbuilt DA/ Open Pros which are far more compliant than the stock R540's. I have short legs and a long torso so compact frames are a dream come true for me. I can get the right fit in the TT and not worry about standover hight. Its got a very tight rear-end and a 45 mm fork rake- handling is very quick but still stable. My previous bikes were a Trek 2000 and a Specialized Allez Sport. This is by far my favorite. I swapped the stock set-up for my wheels, Thomson seatpost and stem, and my SLR, just because I already had these parts and love them. But I still think stock set up is great. Only down side is it's made in Taiwan- but quality doesn't suffer given the price. Hope this helps.
    -Keith
    Last edited by KeithNYC; 04-05-2004 at 12:42 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

My gf has one

My gf has a vella and absolutley loves it. Were both the same exact size and I took it out, really responsive frame and gives a great ride. Build quality is excelent and the welds are well polished out and have standard lightspeed quality. The compact frame is nice but its a personal opinion thing, either you like them or you don't and thats for you to decide. If you interested in picking one up for a good price check out www.hbike.com, owner's name is peter and he's always treated me right. His website isn't fully functioning so you might have to call him but he's great to deal with.