Rookie
    Mar 2010

Camping in Morro Bay

Im heading up to Morro Bay with the family for some camping at the morro bay dunes. Im going back and forth on taking my mt bike or road bike. We will more than likely have the 3spd beach crusiers too. Anyway, is there a route i need to take while im there. It will start and end in the campground and should be between 2 and 3 hours... Also, are there any bike friendly road routes to take the kid and wifey on?

Thanks,

Wayne

RoadBikeReview Member
    This may get more attention in the Nor Cal section.

My thoughts: I'm in the area regularly but in car. At least for me, I haven't found a route I would ride on. Hwy 1 has some nice scenery but it is mixed on that highway with cars going 50MPH+. I've seen enough memorials on the side to give me pause. North of San Simeon on HWY1, it lessens the traffic so to me it is where I would consider. Ride from an Simeon to the San Simeon Pier or beyond to see the elephant seals, light house and back.

There is also route 46 into Paso Robles that would be a nice ride. Yes, some car traffic to deal with though a bit less and you get a modest climb and descent. I've see enough riders on this route. Then there are the wineries and smaller roads between them. The road to Justin Winery and back into Paso looks like a nice loop: Vineyard Drive, Adeladia Road to Nacimiento Lake Dr and the service road along the 101 to 46. There are others one can make-up. there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Check MapMyRide

Quote Originally Posted by Highreachguy
    Im heading up to Morro Bay with the family for some camping at the morro bay dunes. Im going back and forth on taking my mt bike or road bike. We will more than likely have the 3spd beach crusiers too. Anyway, is there a route i need to take while im there. It will start and end in the campground and should be between 2 and 3 hours... Also, are there any bike friendly road routes to take the kid and wifey on?
    Check out MapMyRide. People post their regular rides there.

Rookie
    Mar 2010

thanks..

I think Mike said what i needed to hear... Its getting to and from the rides that is the sketchy part... looks like ill be tooling around on a mt bike through the state park for self preservation...

Thanks,

Wayne