RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

cannondale R600 (2003)

Good morning,
    Was trying to get some feedback from you all as I am new to cycling. I was thinking of buying a 2003, 60 cm Cannondale R600 with upgraded Ultegra components and new tires (bike has been well maintained). I am 190 lbs and 6'0. It includes a comp as well to calculate distance. I just have to buy my own pedals for it.

Any thoughts on whether $500 is a good price for this and if this bike is a good fit for me? Thanks so much

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    What wheels are on it? Is the whole drivetrain Ultegra? If the chain and cassette are relatively new (<500 niles) and the wheels are nice and in good shape, that's probably a fair price. One word of caution- I rode an R300 from that same era, also 60cm, and it was almost too big for me. I'm 6'3" with a long torso, so at 6'0" you should probably take it for a little test ride if possible to be sure you aren't going to be uncomfortable on a frame that large. If you are, look at 58s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    dan thanks for the response...i am 6'0 but have longer legs, so thats why i am optimistic this frame will be suitable for me. but its a good deal?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I would say that it is a good deal, with the caveat I made about the components being fully ultegra and with life left in them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but upgrading that bike to Ultegra basically makes it the equivalent of an R1000 from that era (same frame, different groupset), and those things go for well more than $500 on ebay-
    2002 CANONDALE R1000 SHIMANO ULTEGRA KSYRIUM ELITE MAVIC OPTIMO CAT EYE ROADBIKE | eBay

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I'm just over 6', close to 6'1" with about a 34" inseam. I rode a 58cm R700 for a number of years and it was perfect for me.

Oh - in terms of a deal, I think it's a great one!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Here's another example, an all 105 R600 from 2001 that went for over 500 as well-
    2001 Cannondale R800 Bicycle | eBay

That said, I'm assuming you're looking at that bike on craigslist. Ebay tends to demand higher prices because there are more bidders than what you find locally with CL, so the guy you are dealing with is probably just looking to sell it quickly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    thanks everyone so much for your comments! The owner recently replaced the tires and he is willing to now include SPD pedals as well at no extra cost!
    The site wont let me submit a link but if you look on CL, under baltimore it is listed as "Cannondale R600 Road Bike"

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Was it upgraded with newer Ultegra or older Ultegra. Old Ultegra is kinda the equivalent of new Tiagra or 105.

Quote Originally Posted by bmr2677 View Post
    The site wont let me submit a link but if you look on CL, under baltimore it is listed as "Cannondale R600 Road Bike"
    Here is the CL link
    Cannondale R600 Road Bike 60cm
    Only the derailleurs have been upgraded to Ultegra.
    $500 may be a little high IMO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Hmmmm... Looking at the pics, the frame appears to be in great shape (my CAAD3 was yellow, I loved it!) but the chain/cassette are incredibly greasy and the cassette looks worn, this might be a sign that the owner hasn't really given the drivetrain the care that it needs (plus he has the dork disc on after all these years... poor form). Also, the shifters being 105 and not the Ultegra that we thought originally means it's definitely not worth as much as the R1000 I linked to on Ebay. I'd offer him $425, if he includes the pedals, and I'd mention how the $75 less you are gonna pay is going right into a new chain, cassette, and cables.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    The bike shown has a CAAD5 frame. In that year, I think the R1000, R2000 and R5000 were all CAAD7 frames, which is considered (I believe) to be a significantly better frame, on par with later CAAD8 and 9.. You should check the Cannondale archives to make sure though.

In my memory, without checking the Cannondale archives (which you can check), the year my bike was made (03 or 04), the progression was pretty straight forward:

R1000: CAAD7 frame with Slice Ultra (carbon legs/alu. steerer) fork, mostly Shimano 105 9 speed drive train, maybe an Ultegra RD. Lowest level Ksryrium wheels or equivalent. Signifncantly different than the bike for sale.

R2000: Same frame and fork as the R1000 w/ Ultegra 9 speed drive train w/ Dura Ace RD, higher, possibly highest level Ksyrium wheels (I can't remember)

R5000: Same CAAD7 frame, upgraded Slice Premium all carbon fork. Full Dura Ace, best Ksyrium wheels.

I don't think $500 for that bike is a bad price, ASSUMING EVERYTHING IS IN READY-TO-RIDE CONDITION WITH PLENTY OF LIFE LEFT. But it's not a steal. Not a good deal at all if anything at all needs to be replaced. If the shifters fail, that will be at least $200 if you can find used 9 speed stuff, more if you have to buy new.

Older 9 speed stuff as opposed to current 10 speed should be a significant down force on the price, but, assuming it works perfectly, is not a meaningful downgrade on performance for most of us. But you need to keep it in mind for pricing.
    Last edited by Camilo; 03-30-2012 at 12:05 PM.

GDR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I have a 2001 R600 and it is a great bike, it is now my commuter but I have put a ton of miles on it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Cool frame color! Just eyeballing it, you might be able to get away with it. Flip the stem (you may need a shorter one but they are cheap), obviously lower the seat and replace that ugly saddle, clean up the drivetrain with a good citrus cleaner and it's gravy.