RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011

Cannondale Slice 5 vs Scott Foil or any other bike really. Duathlon question.

Hi Everyone,
    I would like to start doing Duathlons and am trying to think of what bike I would use. I found a Slice at an LBS for a good price. But is it worthwhile to have a tri bike for (at the beginning) Sprint races? Why not a Foil or even my old Motobecane? Except the Foil is more expensive than the Slice and the Slice might pay off if I start doing longer races. Maybe I am just a bike junkie and pass up a good deal on a bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Do you plan on doing any road races? If so ... go with an aero road bike instead of Tri bike.

The slice is an OK Tri bike, but not the greatest out there, but will get the job done ... they are on sale because of the new Slice RS, which is a much better bike.

Also ... if you don't already have a road bike, doing all your riding on a Tri bike can suck a little. I like to switch between my TT and road bikes for training and it's always good to have options. Also, a lot of group rides won't allow somebody with a Tri bike to join the group ride ... others don't care ... something to think about.
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Just curious - why not allow Tri bikes into group rides? Is considered an unfair advantage?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdbradigan View Post
    Just curious - why not allow Tri bikes into group rides? Is considered an unfair advantage?
    Because people will ride in the aero bars while in the pack ... people get a little worried about being crashed out by others who are riding TT bikes. So for their group rides they put in rules against TT bikes. With some people I can see it, others, not so much.

I think the bigger problems are that when in the aero bars, even up front, they can't point out dangers in the road and it takes longer to get to the brakes if something happens ... these are valid issues.

With that said ... I've done group rides with a TT bike and had no issues, partly because the people I ride with know I can handle a bike well enough, even a TT bike, in a group ride. I also have a lot of experience with TTT's and riding pacelines at 30+ mph in the aerobars.
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Interesting. Thanks very much for the info! Sorry to hijack OP!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for getting back to me. I am not sure if I would be doing any other road races. I would like to think I would eventually. I currently have a road bike so, I would be training on both. Just wondering if there would be any benefit to getting the Slice. Or, if I should just focus on upgrading/replacing my current road bike. Right now since I am just starting out I will be working towards sprints. The Slice is about $1500.