Thread: cargo rack help

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

cargo rack help

so i got a job out in montana this summer and plan on taking my bike but we are taking 3 people in a passat and we will be cramped for space. with that being said, I am wondering if anyone has ever made a homemade/has a cargo rack on there car?

I am a DIYer so plans or just ideas would even help me get the wheels turning (no pun intended).

cargo racks look like this...Yakima Load Warrior Roof-top Luggage Basket Carrier

I am thinking maybe make it out of 2x4 and plywood? thoughts?

I am not looking for fashion but I do have a cousin who could help me weld some pipe. Any ideas of how thick of pipe? 1/2"?

any thoughts or ideas will help! cheers

Endurance Cyclist
    Mar 2012
    Why go on top, I would think a trunk rack would be the easier way to go.

I would never do it, but I would think that you could fabricate one out of PVC pipe, some nylon strapping and some foam pipe insullation. The only issue I would have is not to leave it out in the cold as PVC pip gets brittle after a long time in the cold (would still last a year or two). Your biggest obstacle would be making the "hooks" that lock on to the trunk.

Also, you can find some really reasonable racks on craigslist all the time. For the cost of building a rack I could buy one used.