Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013

Carrying firearms and cycling: Who does it? Legal? Saddle bag used as storage legal?l

Anybody carrying? Been thinking about it since I ride at night a lot. But then again if I was stopped I wonder about the legality of carrying on a carbon bike(or any bicycle ) - especially in California, where carrying outside is pretty much illegal.

Well, if I put it in my locked seat saddle...that isn't carrying now is it...that is a locked trunk "in my mind", and in CA, when transporting a firearm, basically if it's locked in a trunk, it's legal - still think it might be illegal and I have never done this BTW, scouts honor .

Obviously carrying illegally is not advisable if you are riding at night or any time really of course - but if you were thinking you could get away with it at night know you might be considered suspicious by the police to be some kind of burglar or thief. Heck we are suspicious for wearing spandex...just sayin. But any way, there is a good chance they could find probable cause to do a search....though highly unlikely in most circumstances unless you give them consent, of course.

Technically I am the same as a vehicle on the road...follow the same rules. So does that mean my rear saddle with a lock on it can be considered a trunk, or perhaps my backpack could be? If I get a lockable compact form fitting case, and put put the firearm in my saddle bag which is also locked...then it might be legal in CA...hmmm...not too sure.

Thinking about it, if you ride at night alone on a bike worth a few grand or more, or even $500 or more, it seems practical to carry a small .357 with some decent stopping power. You are on a bike, very vulnerable, dark area, no police....carrying seems justified. Better than the alternative of getting shot and losing your bike. You'll at least have a fighting chance. Of course it might take too long to get into that locked bag, and locked case, lol.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Ibtm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carrying firearms and cycling: Who does it? Legal? Saddle bag used as storage legal?l-image.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Meh. What's the point? You're a moving target, and even the most baller bike isn't worth you--or a would-be thief--dying over, so....what's the point again? Give them the bike and walk away safe. It's a stupid thing to get shot over.

Show me statistics for bikes stolen WHILE BEING RIDDEN. If you ride through a rough neighborhood on your training rides, find another route. I live in Brooklyn, and I've never ridden through an neighborhood that made me wish I had a gun. Even the sketchiest places last a few blocks, and you're out of there in no time.

RoadBikeReview Member

Carrying firearms and cycling: Who does it? Legal? Saddle bag used as storage l

Fwiw a buddy of mine was attacked on a bus route a few miles from my house by some punks who wanted his bike. He got away with his bike to a busy street and flagged down some passing cars, but needed medical attention.
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I'm all for packing heat and I'm all for defending yourself from maggots. My only question would be, how hard/long does take to get to your piece if you needed it?

I know laws are laws but screw that! I say strap it to the frame!

I'm a gun owner and don't want my rights infringed upon. That's why I live in idaho and Texas before we moved here.

Good luck dude. Fight the power!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Fits a CC perfectly and easy to reach. Just make sure you have your permit with you.

Amazon.com: Bushwhacker Tahoe Black - Bike Crossbar Top Tube Frame Bag - w/ Reflective Trim: Sports & Outdoors

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalel View Post
    Anybody carrying? Been thinking about it since I ride at night a lot. But then again if I was stopped I wonder about the legality of carrying on a carbon bike(or any bicycle ) - especially in California, where carrying outside is pretty much illegal.

Well, if I put it in my locked seat saddle...that isn't carrying now is it...that is a locked trunk "in my mind", and in CA, when transporting a firearm, basically if it's locked in a trunk, it's legal - still think it might be illegal and I have never done this BTW, scouts honor .

Obviously carrying illegally is not advisable if you are riding at night or any time really of course - but if you were thinking you could get away with it at night know you might be considered suspicious by the police to be some kind of burglar or thief. Heck we are suspicious for wearing spandex...just sayin. But any way, there is a good chance they could find probable cause to do a search....though highly unlikely in most circumstances unless you give them consent, of course.

Technically I am the same as a vehicle on the road...follow the same rules. So does that mean my rear saddle with a lock on it can be considered a trunk, or perhaps my backpack could be? If I get a lockable compact form fitting case, and put put the firearm in my saddle bag which is also locked...then it might be legal in CA...hmmm...not too sure.

Thinking about it, if you ride at night alone on a bike worth a few grand or more, or even $500 or more, it seems practical to carry a small .357 with some decent stopping power. You are on a bike, very vulnerable, dark area, no police....carrying seems justified. Better than the alternative of getting shot and losing your bike. You'll at least have a fighting chance. Of course it might take too long to get into that locked bag, and locked case, lol.
    At this point I'll invoke Rule #5

"It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP Diver View Post
    At this point I'll invoke Rule #5

youtube;unkIVvjZc9Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=unkIVvjZc9Y
    Oh yeah those Australians are tough dudes...

Slightly Opinionated
    Jesus christ, is it that time of year again that we get yet ANOTHER "ride with guns" thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii View Post
    Jesus christ, is it that time of year again that we get yet ANOTHER "ride with guns" thread?
    Would you rather discuss waving?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Depending on what county in CA you reside in, you may be able to get a concealed handgun permit. We have a may-issue system here where the local Sheriff can pretty much arbitrarily decide if you get a permit or not. But in many counties with decent Sheriffs, any law-abiding citizen who takes the proper training and passes the background checks will be issued a permit. With some online searching you should be able to determine the likelihood of getting a permit in your county. It's a big responsibility though and only as a last line of defense in a life-threatening situation.
    Joe
    2009 Felt Z35
    2008 Cannondale F5

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    We're missing another important area of recurring discussion here----the OP wants to carry his piece in a (gasp) saddle bag.

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    At least waving doesn't usually end up in PO.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    It only ends up in PO because the people who don't like guns can't seem to stay away from threads about them.

OP: Locking it in a saddle bag won't do you any good. If you get separated from your bike then you also lost the gun.

Even if you can get a CCW, sticking it in your jersey pocket pretty much assures that you won't get a good grip on it when if you need it.

The best measure here is just good ole situational awareness and being the "better" man if there is a confrontation.
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Legal or not, carrying in a saddle bag is stupid.

If you're gonna carry, carry on your body, in a secure holster where you'll have full control of the pistol.

Fecal indicator
    so, describe a situation where one would have sufficient time to assess a threat, withdraw a concealed weapon, and then either use it or negotiate a withdrawl.

having a hard time envisioning a viable 'Rambo on a Bike' scenario...
    eff all y'all...

Steaming piles of opinion
    Agree with most of the above: The question is irrelevant.

What you are discussing is a way to get both your bike and your gun stolen. The realistic scenarios where this weapon would end up used / useful are pretty much non-existent, and dwarfed by the number of ways it would be worse than nothing.

Plus, there's the matter of all that weight.

This would be an interesting question if we were discussing car-free living and how to get to the range. Otherwise, it's just poorly thought out.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    so, describe a situation where one would have sufficient time to assess a threat, withdraw a concealed weapon, and then either use it or negotiate a withdrawl.

having a hard time envisioning a viable 'Rambo on a Bike' scenario...
    After being knocked to the ground it could be of some use stopping the bad guy from stomping a mud hole in your ass.

That is if it's holstered and you are proficient in unholstering the pistol and aligning the sights.

Master debator.
    If I thought I needed to carry a gun biking, I wouldn't bike there. The only time I would consider carrying a gun is in a Camelback in bear country, and even then a .44 magnum at point blank range is questionable.
    Better to ride with slower people
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's a good read for you gun folks. (not an anti-gun screed)

Politics aside, I think the only thing that could make a grown man look like more of a dork in spandex would be a gun holster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMook View Post
    [URL="http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/08/eric-nelson/the-truth-about-bicycle-carry/"]

Politics aside, I think the only thing that could make a grown man look like more of a dork in spandex would be a gun holster.
    That may or not be, but if a person is gonna carry, they should carry smart.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    If you're in CA, unless you know "people" (or in one of the few counties that will issue after a mess of testing), you are not likely to be able to get a carry permit. That would make it illegal.

If you want to, check with your local sheriff to find out the procedure to get a permit and go from there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Does DT make 12 gauge spokes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    You'll want to open carry for the deterrent effect:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carrying firearms and cycling: Who does it? Legal? Saddle bag used as storage legal?l-screen-shot-2013-05-13-2.55.17-am.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMook View Post
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast