Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Cateye Cycle Computers

I bought a Mity 3 and an Enduro about 9 years ago. They still work fine and I like them except for one thing: after 20MPH, they no longer show increments of miles per hour to the tenth of a mile but only the half. So, it goes from 20.0 to 20.5 to 21.0 etc whereas below 20 it's 19.9, 19.8 etc.

I'm not interested in heart rate, cadence or any GPS functions. Does anyone know if the newer Cateye models show speed increments down to the tenth of a mile past 20 MPH now? If so, I'm thinking of upgrading.

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't say with 100% certainty, but I had a CatEye V2C for a while and I think that only showing .5mph increments would have bugged me, so I think I would have noticed if they did that.
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a Double Wireless and it definitely shows increments in tenths over 20mph.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oops...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddimick View Post
    I have a Double Wireless and it definitely shows increments in tenths over 20mph.

Wow - where/when did you manage to get over 50mph?

RoadBikeReview Member

I guess that proves it if it's still showing tenths over 50! Here's mine over that speed:

Banned forever.....or not
    I won't buy a computer unless it shows my actual speed in hundredth of a mile per hour.
    If I notice that my speed drops from 22.37 to 22.36, I'll know that I have to pick it up. That extra .01 mph will make all the difference in how I feel after the ride if over.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP Diver View Post
    Wow - where/when did you manage to get over 50mph?
    Back in August. If you know the Palos Verdes area of Socal, it was southbound on Hawthorne Blvd. on the curve past Ryan Park. After that day I decided "yup, that's fast enough" and have coasted down that section ever since. I'm pretty sure there are guys around here that take it faster.

T K
    wasssabi
    My V3 does. Just the other day I hit 50.6 and got scared, so I backed off to a more comfortable 50.5. Whewww!!!!
    Pretty sure my Strada wireless does too. Nice unit if you don't need HR or cadence.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T K View Post
    My V3 does. Just the other day I hit 50.6 and got scared, so I backed off to a more comfortable 50.5. Whewww!!!!
    Pretty sure my Strada wireless does too. Nice unit if you don't need HR or cadence.
    What brands are V3 and Strada? I mentioned getting another Cateye only because I've found them very reliable and would be perfect except for that one problem. I'd be open to trying other brands. I'm just looking for a basic computer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Back in August. If you know the Palos Verdes area of Socal, it was southbound on Hawthorne Blvd. on the curve past Ryan Park. After that day I decided "yup, that's fast enough" and have coasted down that section ever since. I'm pretty sure there are guys around here that take it faster.
    I was so blown away about going 55 that I took the picture of my computer. I'm thinking that's also how you ended up having a photo of your computer showing such a high speed.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I've got 3 Mitys & I really don't know in what increments they measure speed. I know they measure mileage in hundredths. Speed? I only use them every day. I think they measure in tenths which is good enough for me. If you want to know how you're doing look at the comparison arrow in the upper right.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    50 yikes! I take Silver Spur down from Hawthorne,, there is a stretch of little bumps before the signal where sometime it feels like it gets airborne ,I hair out at 45 and hit the binders. I have the same Cateye and it reads tenths up to 45.

RoadBikeReview Member
    V3 and Strada are both Cateye. Strada you can get wired with cadence or wireless with or without cadence. I think V3 is wireless with cadence and heart rate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughsdad View Post
    V3 and Strada are both Cateye. Strada you can get wired with cadence or wireless with or without cadence. I think V3 is wireless with cadence and heart rate.
    Thanks. I'm going to check them out. It sounds like most models show tenths now.

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    I have the Cateye Strada Wireless on a couple of bikes and I really like them. Check them out
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2014 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2013 Fuji Finest 1.1C (Wife's)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothie7 View Post
    I have the Cateye Strada Wireless on a couple of bikes and I really like them. Check them out
    I've never had a wireless. Have they worked as well for you as the wired ones? Is there any interference for the signal like when you're with other riders and there are other wireless computers in the area?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I personally have had trouble with intermittent connection using wireless units from cateye and shimano. Maybe the technology has improved ib the last few years, or I just had bad samples, but I prefer wired computers. That said, my current Garmin 500--a quantum leap in technology for me--has worked out well so far. Sigma makes some good, rugged affordable models, but the more basic Units display speed in 0.2 mph increments. That was fine with me, maybe not for you.
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

RoadBikeReview Member
    One small but nice feature of the Sigmas is that you don't lose all your settings and memory when you change the battery. Most other brands require you to reprogram every time.
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Edit: I have the same models though newer at about 5-6 years. I thought mine read 10'ths, I was wrong.
    Last edited by Kuma601; 10-10-2011 at 04:59 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Just hit a local bike shop. They tend to segment their products pretty well. Candence and fine tuned measurements on the higher level models, more basic features on the cheaper ones.

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    I have not had any problems with the strada wireless however, I wish there was a warning sign for when your battery is going low on your fork. It either works or it doesn't. I always carry an extra battery with me just in case.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Different elements of the display will start blinking depending on which battery is low, but I can't remember the details beyond that. It's in the manual, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FNGRIDER View Post
    50 yikes! I take Silver Spur down from Hawthorne,, there is a stretch of little bumps before the signal where sometime it feels like it gets airborne ,I hair out at 45 and hit the binders. I have the same Cateye and it reads tenths up to 45.
    Oddly I've only come down Silver Spur once even though I climb it all the time. I saw way too many holes and cracks on the way up to take it fast on the way down! You're a brave man.

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    okay. Thanks. My wheel sensor battery was the one that died one time. I'll look to see what warning signs there are for that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast